Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night i played a game where i feilded a 30 man squad of bog standard ig (3 infantry squads combined) they did ok, nothing special, but they diddnt see alot of action to be fair.

i was just wondering, do any of you feild the '50 man mosh pit'? 5 infantry squads combined.

i would have thought if i stuff a comassar in there they'd be pritty good for holding an objective since they wont be going anywhere, but what about special weapons? outfitting the sergants?

ty for any and all help :D

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Give the commissar and sergeants power weapons. Throw straken in a chimera nearby and laugh as your str 4 on the charge with 20+ pw attacks plus a boatload of standard attacks. If you get charged, well at least you still have counter-attack.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i couold probably get more than that even, could i still have 4 more cammasars?

1 fore each squad totaling 5, then combining them?

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
i couold probably get more than that even, could i still have 4 more cammasars?

1 fore each squad totaling 5, then combining them?
Not much point in doing that really, plus spending 180 pts just to take 4 more PW's isn't an effective way to spend said points.

Just adding the 1 Commissar to the blob is going to increase its ability to hang aroung for a few turns. If you want to have an effective c/c element in an IG list you need to throw quite a lot of points at it, but in the end they are still only T3 S3 W3 ('cept the Commissar) for the most part, and still rely on having other support Units in your list to help them survive.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Also on commisars, if you take five and combine the squads, would all five sergeants be executed if the squad failed a morale check? Would all of the commisars shoot one sergeants?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why didn't they see any action?
line of sight mostly (i know, 30 models is alot to hide from, but its possible) tho they did crack off 6 shots at mephiston and take 2 wounds off :p

Also on commisars, if you take five and combine the squads, would all five sergeants be executed if the squad failed a morale check? Would all of the commisars shoot one sergeants?
i would assume so since each commasar would cap the highest ld model, other than them, which would be all 5 sgts.

what would some people think of using 2 50 man moshpits to footslog down each flank being given first rank fire, second rank fire.

also, would i be able to take 5 chimera? obv i wouldnt be able to board them. but they would be 5 tanks razzing around harassing units, since transports dont need to stay with the squad

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
here is how i "would" use them
50 strong with a commissar (one is all you need) and 5 Lascannons or Autocannons. Good buy tanks. And when someone get close then i just first rank, second rank there ass.

I don't use the 50 strong for a few reasons tho.
1 - To many points in 1 place and if a Dread charges you (and Ironclad or Furiosos is even worse) thats the entire group out of the game.
2 - Th ammount of modals needed is insane. My army is at 500pts (ATM) and i have a 20 strong plus a vet unit with meltas. My 1500pts adds in another 2 to the pit and anymore than that and deploying becomes a problem.
3 - Upgrades are more or less pointsless as you would be killing most of your sergeants anyway so i would only ever outfit the Commissar and 2 sergeants with Power fists in a 50 strong unit.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you say a charging dred would be a problem, could you not put a preist with an eviserator in there? str 6 2d6ap, that should more than chew up a dred

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
you say a charging dred would be a problem, could you not put a preist with an eviserator in there? str 6 2d6ap, that should more than chew up a dred
But if the Dreads get the charge (especialy if they are kitted out with Blood Talons you will likey get screwed regardless. Since the liklihood is that your eviserator will be striking last if the Dread with BTs gets a charge. If it runs out of attacks then sure your Eviserator would more than likely slay it, if its a DC Dread though you need something better than 'Crew Shaken/Stunned' though.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But if the Dreads get the charge (especialy if they are kitted out with Blood Talons you will likey get screwed regardless. Since the liklihood is that your eviserator will be striking last if the Dread with BTs gets a charge. If it runs out of attacks then sure your Eviserator would more than likely slay it, if its a DC Dread though you need something better than 'Crew Shaken/Stunned' though.
thats alot of 'ifs' tho :p

and whats to say it'll even make it to my lines? XD

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
also he is an IC so if they are smart they will put some if not all of there attacks on him and kill him so you can't fight back. Even powerfists won't help you agianst Furioso's

·
Registered
3 Posts
i take

50 guardsmen
all sgt's with pw's and melta bombs
commissar with pw
ethier 5 plasma guns or 5 melta guns

its wins anything thats thrown at it!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Nice, i fielded a 50 man conscript squad with chenkov. I sent in the next wave 3 times in the match lol until Mephiston killed them in 1 round of CC.

Oh i also FRFSRF them into a 5 man death company squad, 150 shots and i only killed 2:ireful2:

·
Registered
458 Posts
If you want to go for the 50 bod squad (a big if) I don't think a single commissar is enough in this world of mindwar/vindicare assassains. I personally would add an inquisitor lord with camo cloak (because stealth passes to the squad) to the mix. He can only be killed in cc if he is in btb, so leave him in the middle of the massive blob and he will never make it.

As to special/heavy weapons, it depends on what you want your squad to be doing. For my money the most effective use is sitting back and bubblewrapping tanks/firepower units. Then they want autocannons or lascannons, and possibly a single vox. If they never have to use their power weapons in anger then you have probably won with firepower alone.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I'd add a preist just for the rerolls in cc especially with Straken nearby.
I'd also keep the heavy weapons seperate just so you can FRFSRF with the lasguns and Bring em down the heavies, Just stick a couple of meltas in the command squad to take out any armour that gets to close and leave your lascannons to kill anything that fires a large template. 1 commissar and the officer with fists should be enough to take on stubborn cc units and the 3 meltas should make short work of any dreads that survive the lascannon barrage.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I'd do it with 1 Commissar, FSFSRF, and maybe some special/heavy weapons. Run it as Guardsmen - the guys in my store think that Conscripts are absolutely amazing, but Guardsmen blobs really are superior.

50 guardsmen
all sgt's with pw's and melta bombs
commissar with pw
ethier 5 plasma guns or 5 melta guns

its wins anything thats thrown at it!
Except Khorne Berzerkers. They fuck that thing's shit.

Midnight

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
If you want to go for the 50 bod squad (a big if) I don't think a single commissar is enough in this world of mindwar/vindicare assassains. I personally would add an inquisitor lord with camo cloak (because stealth passes to the squad) to the mix. He can only be killed in cc if he is in btb, so leave him in the middle of the massive blob and he will never make it.
What are you saying OddJob??? :p

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 24 Posts