Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm currently invited to a game of 5,500 points at the end of this month, it's a New Years Eve game with friends. Since we plan on staying up all night and well in to the next day, we are playing a large game with a large grouping of tables to accommodate all 5 of us.
My list I'm running is as follows.

Combined Arms Detachment

HQ
Captain; Artificer Armour, 2 Power Fists, Digital Weapons
Chaplain; Jump Pack, Plasma Pistol, Digital Weapons

Troops
Tactical Squad; Plasmagun, Heavy Bolter, Stormbolter, Rhino

Elite
Command Squad; Apothecary, Company Banner, Champion, Plasmagun, Power Sword, Razorback w/ Twin Linked LasCannon
Dreadnought; Twin Linked LasCannon, Missile Launcher, Drop Pod
Dreadnought; Twin Linked LasCannon, Missile Launcher, Drop Pod

Fast
Assault Squad; +5 Marines, Jump Packs, 2 Plasma Pistols, 2 Eviscerators, Veteran Sergeant w/ Power Fist
Assault Squad; +5 Marines, Jump Packs, 2 Plasma Pistols, 2 Eviscerators, Veteran Sergeant w/ Power Fist
Stormtalon; Twin Linked LasCannons

Heavy
Devastator Squad; +5 Marines, 4 LasCannons, Rhino
Devastator Squad; +5Marines, 4 Plasma Cannons, Rhino
3 Stalkers

Lord of War
Warhound Titan; Vulcan Mega-Bolter, Plasma Blastgun

Baronial Court
Knight Crusader; Rapid-Fire Battle Cannon, Twin Icarus Autocannon
Knight Errant; Ironstorm Missile Pod
Knight Palladin; Stormspear Rocket Pod

That is 5,500 on the dot.

The Captain will join with the Command Squad to run and gun where he can, issuing challenges on his and the Champions part.

The Chaplain will join one of the Assault Squads and fly into enemy lines and formations.

The Tactical Marines will secure objectives, the likes of which there will be 8 in all and worth keeping till the end of the game.

The Plasma Cannon Devastators will hang back and support the Tactical Squads by, hopefully, blasting enemy infantry trying to contest objectives.

The LasCannon Devastators will do the same, only packing a bit more punch in the event heavy armour tries to contest things.

The Stormtalon will take on enemy fliers, the likes of which there will be some, but, not many.

The Stalkers will provide Anti-Air as needed and hopefully take out some other things too.

The Warhound is going to charge it's way across the table to blast the crap out of things and clear a path for the Marines in the process.

The Baronial Court will act as clean up crew for the Warhound and attack whatever it left behind that isn't dead or dying.

As always, C&C is welcome.

·
Closet Dictator
3,428 Posts
Have you the option to but the twin turbo laser destructor on the warhound? Your opponent I'm quessing will have some super heavies of his own and you should pack some terminal anti armour, also if the dreads have drop pods would you not consider multi melta and c.c.w armed dreads to drop in on top of him to pop armour and heavy flame infantry based fire support

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you the option to but the twin turbo laser destructor on the warhound? Your opponent I'm quessing will have some super heavies of his own and you should pack some terminal anti armour, also if the dreads have drop pods would you not consider multi melta and c.c.w armed dreads to drop in on top of him to pop armour and heavy flame infantry based fire support
Unfortunately, I have to answer 'no' on both counts. The Warhound doesn't have the Turbo Laser option, when it was originally acquired, the model only had the Vulcan Mega-Bolter and Plasma Blast-Gun.
As for the Dreadnoughts, we play WYSIWYG, and I simply do not have a Multi Melta for either one, which is weird as that should be included in the kit. I've had surprisingly good luck when using the Missile/Las combo though.

·
Closet Dictator
3,428 Posts
Some toilet roll cores painted in lead belcher and attached with blue tac to the ends of the vulcan mega bolter gives you a "converted" turbo laser for the WYSIWYG.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some toilet roll cores painted in lead belcher and attached with blue tac to the ends of the vulcan mega bolter gives you a "converted" turbo laser for the WYSIWYG.
Really? I hadn't considered that. You are talking about the card board roll the sheets are attached to, right?

·
Closet Dictator
3,428 Posts
That's the one, split it along the lenght and trim to desired calibre, stuff the end and paint it glowing red or blue, bobs your uncle, you have a frikkin laser beam no 2

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the one, split it along the lenght and trim to desired calibre, stuff the end and paint it glowing red or blue, bobs your uncle, you have a frikkin laser beam no 2
Sweet! I'll need to do that! It'll change the Warhound's dynamics just a bit.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
If you had a Hunter you could run everything you have other than the Stormtalon as a Gladius, and get all your Transports for free. That's the obvious stand-out option to me, given that you have 425pts of transports - adding a Hunter would actually make your army cost less.

You also have a tonne of bloat upgrades - as you play WYSIWYG it might be difficult to deal with, but all those Storm Bolters and Heavy Bolters on the Tactical Squads seem fairly poor options (I'd drop the extra bodies in the Devastator Squads and use those models to replace the Heavy Bolter guys with regular Bolter armed Marines), as well as the million upgrades on the Assault Marines.

Either the Gladius, Formation Detachments or Unbound for the Titan is bugged in my Battlescribe so it's not working, but I'd get the Hunter for the free transports (about 70pts for a Hunter, so that's 350pts free), remove the extra guys from the Devastators and use them to replace the Heavy Bolter guys in the Tactical Squads (140pts saved on the guys, 60pts saved on Heavy Bolters giving us 550pts free now). You could spend that on a Stormraven and another Stormtalon to get a Stormwing Formation, but I'm assuming you don't have those models or you'd have used them; as it is, we have to drop the poor old Talon, giving us 670pts to play with. Also, those Storm Bolters on the Tacticals will probably be pretty useless; up to 690pts to spend. Basically, on whatever you like - I'd be tempted to upgrade the Warhound (I like the Plasma Blastgun but the Mega-Bolter is pretty hard to justify given the quality of the other weapon options), and get a Void Shield Generator with 2 additional Void Shields to make it that much more survivable and protect your giant motor pool on the first turn, but not knowing what other models you have available, I can't say much more than that.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you had a Hunter you could run everything you have other than the Stormtalon as a Gladius, and get all your Transports for free. That's the obvious stand-out option to me, given that you have 425pts of transports - adding a Hunter would actually make your army cost less.

You also have a tonne of bloat upgrades - as you play WYSIWYG it might be difficult to deal with, but all those Storm Bolters and Heavy Bolters on the Tactical Squads seem fairly poor options (I'd drop the extra bodies in the Devastator Squads and use those models to replace the Heavy Bolter guys with regular Bolter armed Marines), as well as the million upgrades on the Assault Marines.

Either the Gladius, Formation Detachments or Unbound for the Titan is bugged in my Battlescribe so it's not working, but I'd get the Hunter for the free transports (about 70pts for a Hunter, so that's 350pts free), remove the extra guys from the Devastators and use them to replace the Heavy Bolter guys in the Tactical Squads (140pts saved on the guys, 60pts saved on Heavy Bolters giving us 550pts free now). You could spend that on a Stormraven and another Stormtalon to get a Stormwing Formation, but I'm assuming you don't have those models or you'd have used them; as it is, we have to drop the poor old Talon, giving us 670pts to play with. Also, those Storm Bolters on the Tacticals will probably be pretty useless; up to 690pts to spend. Basically, on whatever you like - I'd be tempted to upgrade the Warhound (I like the Plasma Blastgun but the Mega-Bolter is pretty hard to justify given the quality of the other weapon options), and get a Void Shield Generator with 2 additional Void Shields to make it that much more survivable and protect your giant motor pool on the first turn, but not knowing what other models you have available, I can't say much more than that.
And this is why posting a list is helpful! I can exchange one Stalker for a Hunter, no problem! Now, this really only frees up about 410 point, 405 for the transports ( the TLLC on the Razorback isn't free) and 5 points from the Stalker converting to a Hunter. Now, this is more than enough for my Stormraven with TLLC and Twin Linked Multimelta as well as an additional Stormtalon with TLLC to boot. Deducting the cost for these after its all said and done leaves 85 points and the question of what that could be put towards?

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, going back and reading through my last post, I realized I didn't address @MidnightSun 's comments on the Heavy Bolters and Stormbolters in the Tactical Squads, the load out in the Assault Squads, and the extra five marines in the Devastators Squads. I guess I became a little too wrapped up in the idea of the Hunter/Stalker bit and forgot, sorry about that.

1. Tactical Squads; I actually really like the Heavy Bolter and Stormbolter in the Tactical Squads and here is why: I run my Crimson Fists with the Imperial Fists Chapter Tactics which allow me to use Bolter Drill and reroll my misses of 1 on my dice. This affects not only the regular Bolter Marines, but the Heavy Bolter and Stormbolter too. The range of the two weapons is nice as well. I made my squads to try and be somewhat synergistic in their range. Considering Bolters have a range of 24", I'm getting to take 7 shots at the max end of my range. The Plasmagun has the same range of 24" as does the Stormbolter, but the Stormbolter is allowing me 2 shots over the one I get from a regular Bolter sitting on my Sergeant. The Heavy Bolter clocks in at 36" in its range, but that's ok, it's extra length is fine and just lets me use it a bit further down LOS when needed and fires three shots. At max range, I'm taking 13 total shots and at Rapid Fire range, for the Bolters and Plasmagun, I'm taking 21. It's proven to be nice and quite effective.

2. Assault Squad; the weapons selection on the Assault Squads is more than excessive, it's down right overkill. However, an Assault Squad with the weapons and firepower that they are carrying will be useful in confronting enemy infantry when I use the Jet Packs on the charge. Granted, the HoW doesn't always work to my advantage in that situation, but, hey it's a gamble regardless. The Eviscerators have proven to be worth their price in previous games I've played and I like that they give a bit more over the regular Chainsword. The Power Fist on the Veteran Sergeant is just preference to having a weapon in the squad for higher damage and AP output.

3. Devastator Squad; the extra 5 Marines included with the Devastators are nothing more than shields against damage to keep the important Heavy Weapons around a little bit longer. Without them, they're a bit more susceptible to taking casualties far too soon.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
1. Tactical Squads; I actually really like the Heavy Bolter and Stormbolter in the Tactical Squads and here is why: I run my Crimson Fists with the Imperial Fists Chapter Tactics which allow me to use Bolter Drill and reroll my misses of 1 on my dice. This affects not only the regular Bolter Marines, but the Heavy Bolter and Stormbolter too. The range of the two weapons is nice as well. I made my squads to try and be somewhat synergistic in their range. Considering Bolters have a range of 24", I'm getting to take 7 shots at the max end of my range. The Plasmagun has the same range of 24" as does the Stormbolter, but the Stormbolter is allowing me 2 shots over the one I get from a regular Bolter sitting on my Sergeant. The Heavy Bolter clocks in at 36" in its range, but that's ok, it's extra length is fine and just lets me use it a bit further down LOS when needed and fires three shots. At max range, I'm taking 13 total shots and at Rapid Fire range, for the Bolters and Plasmagun, I'm taking 21. It's proven to be nice and quite effective.
I think the Storm Bolter is too expensive for that one extra shot (Str4 AP5 isn't exactly renowned for its' killing power), and the problem I have with the Heavy Bolter is simply that you can't fire it on the move. Given that you're in Rhinos, you're obviously not just sitting 3+ save asses on objectives with them, and Tacticals that aren't in 12" are doing sweet jack shit by way of damage, you're never really going to get an opportunity to add some extra fairly mediocre shots to your fusillade.

I run Tacticals at 10-man with a matching special weapon and combi-weapon loadout, and even that's not ideal - I'm thinking about re-basing them to 32mm and running them 5-man with a Grav Cannon in Rhinos, once I've finished my other huge pile of projects and if I can get the bases off easily. Tacticals just aren't all that, really.

2. Assault Squad; the weapons selection on the Assault Squads is more than excessive, it's down right overkill. However, an Assault Squad with the weapons and firepower that they are carrying will be useful in confronting enemy infantry when I use the Jet Packs on the charge. Granted, the HoW doesn't always work to my advantage in that situation, but, hey it's a gamble regardless. The Eviscerators have proven to be worth their price in previous games I've played and I like that they give a bit more over the regular Chainsword. The Power Fist on the Veteran Sergeant is just preference to having a weapon in the squad for higher damage and AP output.
Assault Marines that aren't in a Skyhammer are still just Marines - even with a Power Fist and some ranged weapons they're just not very threatening to most things. 5-man with 2 Flamers lets them throw a scare into some of the punier backfield units, and 5-man with a Power Fist forces the opponent to deal with them lest they blow up a tank or whatever, but their shooting is pathetic for the points you spend on them (30pts for 2 Plasma Pistols will buy you a Plasma Cannon with a Servitor to fire it!) and their melee is mediocre - the Fist and Eviscerators are the only things that will do any real damage (even then, 25pts for a Chainfist on a guy with 1 WS4 attack is shitty as all get out) and a real combat unit is going to kick the shit out of them.

3. Devastator Squad; the extra 5 Marines included with the Devastators are nothing more than shields against damage to keep the important Heavy Weapons around a little bit longer. Without them, they're a bit more susceptible to taking casualties far too soon.
Yeah, I get what they're for, they're just an easy place to cut points since they're pretty much just expensive ablative wounds (they might as well not have any weapons for all the good they'll do). If you have a bunch of points left over, go for it, sure. Just hard to justify 70pts for 5 extra wounds in the Devastator squads when you could buy an Inquisitor in Terminator Armour for 5pts cheaper, which adds a proper tanking character and lets you put a bunch of buffs on the unit if you want to shell out further on the Liber Heresius, Psyker level, upgrading him to Coteaz etc.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, the problem with that is in the fact I don't own an Inquisition Codex, nor have any models with which to proxy an Inquisitor in Terminator Armour.
I totally get where you're coming from on the Heavy Bolter and Stormbolter, but, the current form of the Tacticals has worked for me time and again. I've made some good use of them. Now, I have run the squads minus the Heavy Bolter and it just wasn't really the same. I could drop the HB in flavour of Combi weapons, but, I'm fair broke right now due to the Holidaze, else I would consider popping for a box of Tacticals and Combi up some sergeants.
The Assault Squads, the problem with them is that I rather like them as is. They're a threat and an expensive one points wise. Yes, 30 points on the two Plasma Pistols and 25 on the Eviscerators is a bit much. But, it rather fun to see the reaction on your opponent's face when they charge.
I don't have Servitors :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts