Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this a very interesting article over on the space-wolves-grey blog. While I only have a rudimentary knowledge of the Warmahordes system, it does seem to make sense. I always put the new big minis like knights, riptides and wraightknights down to improved production techniques, rather than needing to compete with their closest rival, but that might just be down to the lack of Warmahordes players in my area.

So, what do you think? Are there any Warmahorde players here that can expand on his point, and either confirm or debunk it?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
as someone posted in the article's comments...it's becoming EPIC, in 28mm.
It was EPIC that inspired lots of other games systems. Dust tactics is basically using the EPIC rulesystem. Warmahordes does that but with more cheese and magic-style combos.
WH40k needs to sell and to do that they need to get back to EPIC, where you fielded titan legions, squadrons of landraiders and hundreds of infantry.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I used to play the original epic alot. Between myself and a buddy, we have a sizeable collection of every army. And with the merger of 40k and apocalypse and the scale of the newer releases I would definitely go with that analogy. As opposed to copying a rival game.
Though I have never played hordes.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
As opposed to copying a rival game.
In fact i always though that warmahordes and other systems where just exploiting GW's leftovers (just look at the amount of space fleet games popped out when Battlefleet Gothic was being suffocated by its own parents...)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Warmahordes is a much smaller scale, skirmish game in the truer form of the word. 40k can be skirmish level, if it wants, but the mechanics, and tactics required are quite different.
Infact, I have found that the 6x4 table can be too small sometimes for a standard 1850 point game whereas the 4x4 table for warmahordes is a huge playing space in comparison.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I have found that the 6x4 table can be too small sometimes for a standard 1850 point game
i remember in 2rd edition when you had space enough even at 2000 pts :biggrin:
now my chaos army barely fits the table at that point level!

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
I lo e how the articles claims warmachine made gargantuans and then GW copied them by releasing large minis, totally ignoring the stompa and baneblade models produced years earlier and thats without even mentioning anything from forgeworlds massive catalogue of huge beastly models.

I dont really know about the detachment skimilarities but that just feels like a way to choose a themed army quickly and isnt really anything new as others have said its much like old epic, but hey if GW have borrowed something from another system because it works well whats the issue?, its not like other companies dont do the same to GW, thats why people refer to kings of war as "poor mans warhammer" and "fauxhammer".

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Yeah, this seems like the conclusion of somebody who never played epic or early 40k. Warhammer had has knights and titans since the early days.

Heck, go back to the armorcast days to see the earliest titans and epic models for 40K. Long before the days of warmachine.
The only thing here which GW actually IS guilty of doing is steadily increasing the scale of the game to sell more minutes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts