Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Faiet212 posted some information regarding supplements today:

What Armies are Getting Codex Supplements: Answers are Here

Every Chapter will be getting codex supplements, and there is work being done on them. Special notes..... Chaos Space Marines.

This is part one of a conversation, and I simply split the subjects up so that things would not get missed due to its length, while keeping all the details and integrity. So first off we are going to talk about codex supplements, next up.... the Space Marine codex.

via an anonymous source from the Faeit 212 inbox (very reliable source)
As I told you about a year ago, there are going to be more supplements for pretty much all the codexes, even Chaos Space Marines and Tau: though no work has really been done on the latter.
There is not going to be another Eldar one in 2013.
White Scars is one of the supplement codexes, and it is also complete (borderline printed) so logic dictates it'll be released a few weeks after the SM codex, but I don't have a street date for you.
Space marines will be getting 2 supplement codexes though by the end of 2013, so again... chances are white scars will be one of them.
For the Blood Angels and Space Wolves players, fear not you will be getting full codex support and not just supplements. Read between those lines.
I am going to preface this with some bold, red text to make a point:

This is not confirmation of Black Templars being rolled into the Vanilla Codex.

I just wanted to get that out of the way before any panicking starts (because everytime the Space Marine codex is mentioned someone gets their knickers in a knot). We don't know enough about the Space Marine codex at this time to confirm or deny that. We'll just need to wait and see for more Marine stuff to come out to know for sure what is really happening there.

White Scars is easily a variant army that would benefit from allowing for a Supplement as would Ravenwing. They're both armies that diverge from basic Force Org and would be enhanced by this. So I could see both or either of them getting a supplement out of this.

I believe this rumour actually fits nicely into one we got earlier this year about 6th Edition being a longer term edition that will be propped up through supplements and the occasional codex expansion. If they aren't releasing all the Eldar ones this year it could be a way to monetize the codex over a longer period of time since they no longer do second waves.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Very cool! It would be awesome to see a Salamanders supplementary codex. So much fire.

Thanks for constantly updating Heresy with the most current of rumours, Zion. :drinks:

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Very cool! It would be awesome to see a Salamanders supplementary codex. So much fire.

Thanks for constantly updating Heresy with the most current of rumours, Zion. :drinks:
Wouldn't that depend on if there is a Salamanders Special Character in tve Vanilla Dex?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
You mean like Vulkan who is in it as the moment and already has a model?
Yeah. If he's included in the SM dex wouldn't that signal no Suppliment? Then again the White Scars have a character in it as well.

Just throwing some ideas around.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still way to expensive for a supplement.

Enjoy paying for some pictures, some back story, a few pages of additional/optional rules, and a few scenarios.
Well when the Sisters start getting them I will.

Seriously, these supplements are not mandatory to play any specific army. They just let you play that army with some added bonuses (like new relics and Warlord traits).

·
U Mad Bro?
2,777 Posts
Well when the Sisters start getting them I will.

Seriously, these supplements are not mandatory to play any specific army. They just let you play that army with some added bonuses (like new relics and Warlord traits).
Yes, they do unlock different things for the army which is a great concept but for 60$? its as much as a codex with a fraction of things that actually impact game play... I still think its highway robbery.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, they do unlock different things for the army which is a great concept but for 60$? its as much as a codex with a fraction of things that actually impact game play... I still think its highway robbery.
So expanded lore and timeline for that specific army, new paint scheme variants, extra relics, new warlord traits, new psychic powers, altering FOCs, planetstrike options, extra missions and in the case of the Iyanden book, an extra character you can use for those missions too.

Look, I'm not saying that the books are the best thing ever, but some serious amount of work is going into these and I applaud the GW devs for it. Of course, as with just about everything GW does, I wish they were cheaper but I am happy that at least there is a slightly cheaper version on the iPad. It's not much but it's better than nothing.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
So expanded lore and timeline for that specific army, new paint scheme variants, extra relics, new warlord traits, new psychic powers, altering FOCs, planetstrike options, extra missions and in the case of the Iyanden book, an extra character you can use for those missions too.
Still not worth the money in my opinion, its nice that they have put these together and released them but idiotic that they have been released at at such a high price, its a supplement, it shouldn't cost as much as a full codex.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still not worth the money in my opinion, its nice that they have put these together and released them but idiotic that they have been released at at such a high price, its a supplement, it shouldn't cost as much as a full codex.
Like I said, the price point isn't good, it's set too high to get people into buying the books. But the books themselves are of a decent quality and I don't think should just be written off.

Besides, if 6th continues for a long time you might change your mind and consider picking up a supplement book to change up how your army plays. That right there is the real treat. GW gets you to get a new book and maybe even more models without having to try and sell you a full army.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I also think, a supplement is very possible, even if there is a character of the respective army in the "main" codex. I mean, afterall Yriel is in the Eldar 'Dex as well...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts