Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a query for the folk with a lot of fluff/40k knowledge (something I suspect I'll never profess to have), a couple of questions about the buildings.

I'm writing a short, and I'm just wondering, what are the buildings made from in IG compounds? I've got the dark crusade game, so can pick up building names from that (if these are indeed correct!! If not let me know!), but I just can't find what they'd be made of.

Also, does anyone know of whether they'd have a particular standard layout within the compound or would they all be different dependant on their use.

THe compound I'm working on is one that's more of an OP or FOB.

Any info you kind folk can give would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Thermocrete, Plasteel, Rockrete, Ceramite (Maybe in special cases), Concrete. That's about it, I guess. There's something about Imperial Firebase position being made of Plasteel sheets and are moved around fatl-pack inside Thunderhawk Transporters.

Midnight

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
There's something about Imperial Firebase position being made of Plasteel sheets and are moved around fatl-pack inside Thunderhawk Transporters.
I'm pretty sure that only the Space Marines are permitted to use Thunderhawks.

The Guard and their equipment must rely on dropships and cargo shuttles supplied by the navy.

Most buildings seem to be made of rockcrete, but Plasteel and regular steel/aluminium seem likely to feature as well.

Prefabricated STC buildings are the order of the day. In fact, there is even mention in the fluff of an orbit-droppable prefabricated gothic cathedral. so you're pretty safe in saying that anything smaller than a cathedral is plausable.

Whilst Dawn of War isn't generally considered a legit source for fluff, I don't recal anything particularly egregious in the list of IG buildings.

An FOB would probably have a barracks building, auspex instalation, garage w/ tech-shrine, command post and several guard towers all surrounded by a rockcrete wall. It'll also have a reactor of some kind for power, probably plasma, maybe nuclear.

All of that stuff is suitable for prefabricating and, in flat-pack form, you could probably fit the lot in one cargo shuttle (they are huge), or dropship, at a push.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Flak-board. It's seems to be like a weapon-resistant MDF or plywood; it's something that is put on the inside of buildings and is also used, in an emergency, to build barricaeds. I'll have to see where I've read this stuff- various IG-based books, I believe.

GFP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts