Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all, I decided to throw in at this forum since it looks to be one of the better ones I've come across. I've done quite a bit of tabletop wargaming, but am just about brand new to the 40K universe. I played a game of Epic 3rd Edition about 10 years ago, but my only other exposure has been some reading over the last month or so. At this point I'm really just trying to get my head around the game and figure out what to do to get to the point where I might be able to field an army. Maybe somebody can help me out with a couple concerns...

1. I have a 4th Edition rulebook that I found for cheap. Will that teach me the basics well enough, or should I just pick up a 5th ed? Are the differences very great?

2. I'm leaning toward the Witch Hunters/SOB as a faction (mainly because I happen to have some of their models) but have heard them talked down quite a bit as being difficult/expensive to collect and poorly supported by GW. Any opinions on this?

3. Are most games as strict as the rules seem to indicate about models and weaponry/equipment? Are people really expected to modify their models every time they change a piece of equipment between games? I enjoy painting, but I don't want to put a lot of work into some models only to have to hack them apart because of an equipment change. If so, I suppose I'll be spending a lot more time reading before I start.

Thanks!

·
Powered by Squig Tea
7,589 Posts
Welcome aboard Heresy.

1. Honestly get a 5th Ed one, there enough difference to cause you trouble and confusion.

2. Expensive, yes. Unsupported, currently. (Our Rumours thread on the possible happenings is Here.)

3. Yes, on the whole most people play WYSIWYG .
Some opponents may let it pass for a while whilst you try things out, but it a good idea to aim to be as accurate as possible. ( Another reason why WH can be a pain is converting metal minis.)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Welcome to the boards, the wealth of info here will definately be able to help you make an educated decision. I feel your pain on the WH, after some reading I've kinda like the WH/DH armies but currently you can't get crap for them. Good luck and happy hunting!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

I'm interested in learning the game for now, not power gaming to win tournaments. I realize I may be SOL with the SOB for the time being (ha!) but models never get "retired" or anything, right? If the rumors are true and there's a new Witch Hunters(or whatever) Codex out next year, I should be able to use any models I accumulate in the meantime. Plus I can still play them in the meantime, it will just be a pain to army build.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Very true and a great outlook on it!

·
Febris Militarius
919 Posts
EBAY!
you can grab a battle for black reach rule book for dirt cheat (got mine for 5 buck with templates) And SOB stuff, it is your best friend.

Welcome... Enjoy and good luck with endevors of education with 5th edition.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EBAY!
you can grab a battle for black reach rule book for dirt cheat (got mine for 5 buck with templates) And SOB stuff, it is your best friend.

Welcome... Enjoy and good luck with endevors of education with 5th edition.
Awesome idea, thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts