Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i heard from one of the guys at my local gming store that games workshop was potentially trying to write a script for a 40k movie and that the movie would prolly be all in cg and that it would take place during the horus heresy or post 13th black crusade.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That lie has been goin on for years saw sum origonal cg for it a while ago it was a ork dred and a drednaught turned out it was a cut from the early dawn of war!!
As for the 40k movie i will believe it when i see it

·
Registered
162 Posts
yea..not yet Bailean. trust me I would be all over that, cg is what I do for a living.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
The only 40K movie that was ever made was a fan-production that was quickly squashed (after production, no less) by the GW Legal team. Arses.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That lie has been goin on for years saw sum origonal cg for it a while ago it was a ork dred and a drednaught turned out it was a cut from the early dawn of war!!
As for the 40k movie i will believe it when i see it
yeah, agreed. i heard it like four years ago and i hadnt heard anyhting since recently so my interest was perked. if there were to be a mvie, what and who do you think it would be about?

·
Registered
376 Posts
The only 40K movie that was ever made was a fan-production that was quickly squashed (after production, no less) by the GW Legal team. Arses.
"Damnatus"

GW fears that they'd have to give up all their ownership rights should they allow the movie to be released. They blame it on the german law.
Funnily enough Lucasfilm and others never had such problems with german fan-films about their property.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
"Damnatus"

GW fears that they'd have to give up all their ownership rights should they allow the movie to be released. They blame it on the german law.
Funnily enough Lucasfilm and others never had such problems with german fan-films about their property.
did you ever see any stills from it? it looked like dogshit. GW are doing a good thing protecting their IP as closely as they do.

If a film is ever done, it will be entirely financed by GW. They will never have enough money to do this, so a film will never happen.

·
Registered
376 Posts
did you ever see any stills from it? it looked like dogshit. GW are doing a good thing protecting their IP as closely as they do.
Have you ever seen a 40k flash movie? Or read a fanfic?
Crappy fan work has never been able to damage GWs IP. And they know it.
That's why they still allow fan publications through other media.
Hell, they even left the definition concerning their regards of what "animation" is widely open.

They were just afraid that they had to give up their IP in the case of a live action movie done by some one else.

Anyway, if the Damnatus crew was so hellbent on releasing their story they should have considered a web comic instead of an online petition.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
they dont give a shit about the little stuff. fact is a $30,000 picture was a bit more high profile, and looked like shit. so they crushed it like a shitty bug

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
The die for GW attitude continues...

I for one will be downloading, watching and reporting on the movie when it becomes available.

It's no surprise they quashed it though, a movie hitting the cinemas is pretty high profile. About as high as toy soldiers ever will be...

·
Banned
280 Posts
To be fair, the movie itself looked like low budget rubbish and had the potential to attach a similar tag in the eyes of prospective customers.

IIRC, there was also the possibility that under German law, the Damnatus crew would then gain rights to some of the GW IPs.

·
The Traveler
2,559 Posts
I looked at some of the stills and the movie site itself, it didn't seem that bad to me..the tech-priest and the Guardsmen looked pretty good. The sets left something to be desired, but it is a homegrown movie after all, so it's a pretty damn good self-starter.

-Dirge

·
Registered
0 Posts
If you want to know what a basic movie would be like, look at Starship Troopers. Movie is based off of the same book that 40k (and several other things) is loosely based off. Originally the troopers were suppose to be Space Marines but GW has someting to do with killing that so instewad we have guardsmen.

·
Registered
589 Posts
That movie was popcorn shit, the book was so much more than that.

IIRC in the book the Mobile Infantry were a lot more like Space Marines than Guardsmen anyway, and the bugs were smart, they had spaceships and buildings and lasers weapons.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
The Blood Quest movie was something GW wanted to do. It was a proposed TV film IIRC, and was going to cost around $20million. But GW pulled the plug on it as they got the LoR license and needed to invest heavily in that. The film was all CGI, and the Ork dreadnought film was a proof of concept along with several Imperial Cruiser space scenes

There have been other mini films done by GW, that were shown at Games days 10 or so years ago. It was an iquisitor and several Dark Angels in combat with Chaos. Was a poor story, but the Marines looked pretty good.

I dont think it's going to happen though as GW would need to sign away a load of rights for merhcandising which I dont think they would do. And who wants to see Space Marine action figures?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts