Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GREETINGS, FELLOW CRUSADERS!
Welcome to the first edition of the Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade newsletter. I’m David Ghozland, Creative Director on the project.

First of all, I wanted to say that myself and the team here at Behaviour Interactive can’t thank you enough for your support. We knew there would be a big response to a new 40k MMO, but the passion and enthusiasm we’ve seen from the community has gone beyond our expectations.
We consider this to be YOUR game – the online 40k world that the fans have always wanted. To that end, we’ll be setting up a space where you can communicate with the devs and share your thoughts. Expect some news on this front very soon!
In the months to come, this newsletter will be a platform for expressing our specific intentions on this project and communicating the thought processes behind its development. For the inaugural edition, however, I’d like to say a bit more about the game itself.

A World At War

One of the first misconceptions we saw about the game based on the announcement was that because of the game’s genre, people thought that we were making a "traditional" MMORPG. If you looked out our "required playing" list for new team members*, you'd see that we're planning on making something quite different indeed. We believe that the MMORPG genre is one with vast possibilities – just look at EvE Online or Firefall to see how far it can stretch.
In Eternal Crusade, we’re presenting a war on a planetary scale, but what you want to do in the game world is really up to you - there's no traditional quest or leveling structure in the experience. When you drop down to the planet with your friends, you’ll have a great overview of the ongoing conflict due to both traditional UI elements and community channels. If you want to head to the front lines and fight where you’re needed most, you can drive over there and do so. Along the way you might meet players from the enemy faction skulking about, or maybe you’ll spot a tantalizing entrance to the world beneath the surface or a Tyranid infestation bursting out near one of your strongholds.
Or perhaps one of your squad-mates will get an idea to hit the enemy behind their lines at a particularly valuable strategic position. It’ll take some skill to get there unnoticed and you might be guaranteed to have the enemy’s attention once you’ve done the damage, but the game's not going to stop you!
Part of what makes this possible is that MMO technology has come far enough to allow for true skill & precision-based gameplay and we’ve made a deliberate choice to make progression as horizontal as possible. A small amount of power gain is inevitable, but in a PvP-focused game it’s crucial that the vast majority of progression is about filling out your tactical possibilities and increasing specialization. Tabletop 40k has been a big inspiration in this regard, as you’ll see when we talk more about creating your character builds.
The other part is that we’re not creating a "content-heavy" world, but rather one driven by gameplay systems. There are unique spots to find, environmental lore bits and an ongoing narrative, but community efforts and Tyranid invasions drive the battle for the surface while the shapes and challenges of the underworld are generated procedurally. Our aim is to make an online world that never stops being able to surprise its players.
If this sounds good to you, stick around! We’ll keep talking about the details of the game design and other production updates right here, so if you know anyone else who might be interested in these topics, you can encourage them to register on the site.
Until next time, may the Emperor protect!

David Ghozland
Creative Director

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
It sounds as if there aren't really going to be any RPG elements in the game. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for planetary wide FPS. But the lack of scripted story turns me off somewhat.

·
Registered
468 Posts
If it's an open world pvp focused mmo they only need to tell us if it will be 3+ factions or not, openworld pvp with 2 factions almost never works.

If they are planning to try 2 factions they better have some amazing solution that no other company has thought of yet because i can't think of any game that has managed to be successful using that model.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
If it's an open world pvp focused mmo they only need to tell us if it will be 3+ factions or not, openworld pvp with 2 factions almost never works.

If they are planning to try 2 factions they better have some amazing solution that no other company has thought of yet because i can't think of any game that has managed to be successful using that model.
There will be Space Marines, Orks, Eldar and Chaos Space Marines. Ork boyz will be free to play, everything else you'll have to pay for. Article here

·
Fantasy Rumors
962 Posts
Here are some important bits from the article that deathjester921 found

Q: Where’s your focus for the game? More centered on PvP, more PvE-oriented, or balanced between the two?

A: Oh my god… (Editor’s Note: Yes, I know, that was an obvious question…) The game is 90-95% PvP, but it’s massive PvP. I’ll tell you the difference: let’s say you’re not a PvP player, but you play in a PvP battleground in an MMO. You go through the group finder and you’re matched with four other people you don’t know, and these four people are very good players and start screaming at you because you’re not doing it right. That’s the part of PvP that PvE players don’t like.

But when you talk about massive PvP, it’s quite different. When you have hundreds or even thousands of players on the same battlefield dishing it out on each other, for you as a PvE player, you don’t really care, because you’re part of thousands of people just killing each other. These people could very well be AI and you wouldn’t notice much difference, because no one is going to single out your mistakes between those thousands of people. So PvP is 90% of the game, but there’s a lot of stuff that you can do that is very different from the usual PvP battleground.

To let you understand, I studied war strategy in university and worked for the Canadian army when I was younger, so we are really applying real military strategy to the game and to the Warhammer 40K lore. For instance I’m not too keen about going into the big battles, I’m more of a sneaky guy, so I would create my squad of five to ten people and I would go through the enemy lines covertly, and I would try to destroy all the outposts around the main fortress, because they’ll represent the logistics feeding the fortress itself. I would also kill all the weapon manufacturers providing the enemy with equipment.

It’s still PvP, because I’m still fighting to defeat the other races, but I’m sabotaging their logistics instead of going to a larger front and just fighting hundreds of people.

The other way you can do it is by exploring the world, finding new resources, building outposts there to be able to extract them and help your friends in the war effort. Again, you’re not actually fighting, but you’re helping your race. There’s going to be tons of content to enjoy for people that actually don’t want to take part in your usual PvP. Even for people that want to try PvP, it’s going to be very different than the normal five versus five you find in other games, because it’s going to be hundreds of people fighting to push the frontline closer and closer to the enemy fortress and eating their territory one meter at a time, one kill at a time.

Q: There’s a very small and general storyline. The types of quests…I don’t want to call them quests…The types of objectives in the game will be the same you have in an army.

A:Think about it: if I’m a general on a battlefield, do I tell some of my soldiers “Can you get this package and bring it to Mrs. Flowers that lives in this place?” or “Could you go in the woods and kill…” No, no. The way we’re going to do this is more similar to realistic military objectives. For instance there may be a Tyranid incursion on your southern border, and you’re sent to protect the outpost. That’s an example. Another may be that the Orks are getting close to find an artifact in a certain mine, and you have to make sure to get it first.

Most of the objectives you’ll receive will be coming from other players that have moved up the hierarchy in your race and have become squad leaders, chapter leaders or are part of the war council. The War council is ten players that basically set up all the main objectives for their race. These players have grown through the ranks and have been voted by other players to lead the war effort for the whole race. They will give the objectives to each squad leader. It works like a real war.

And I won’t be there to make sure that it’s balanced. I’m not there to tell each race how to wage their war. I’m just giving them the tools. This is a game we’re making for the players, so the players will decide how to wage war. That’s the reason why we’ll have campaigns up to three months long. We want to have a winner at the end of the day. I hate massive PvP where you fight and fight and fight but there’s never a real winner.

I say up to three months, because if a bunch of Navy Seals decide to form a guild or a chapter and play our game, most likely they will defeat everyone else very fast because they know military strategy, and our game will be a realistic representation of military strategy. If this happens, and it happens too fast, in order to keep the game somehow balanced we have the Tyranid. They will be a race that we at Behaviour will control in addition to the dynamic weather system that can affect territories and performance.

If near the beginning of a new campaign we find out that the Space Marines are about to wipe out the whole planet in a week, they will suddenly attract a lot more interest from the Tyranid and will need to protect their borders a bit more and allow the other races to gather their strength and provide a real challenge. We’ll intervene to keep it moderately balanced, without too much influence, just enough to make a campaign last at least over two weeks…

Q: To give people time to have fun…

A: Exactly. In between two weeks and three months a real winner will be determined. In the next campaign, all the people that participated in the previous one will receive a medal to put on their armor to show that they’re veterans of campaign #1. After a few years, if you meet someone on the battlefield, and he has six or seven medals, then you know that you shouldn’t fu*k with that guy, because he’s a veteran of six or seven campaigns. That’s how the gameplay is going to be.

I’m not there to dictate how the players will play our game. I’m there to give them an open playfield with some rules of engagement, but they will decide what to do with it. It could very well happen that the war council of the Eldar decides to contact the war council of Chaos to team up and wipe everyone else off the planet and then duke it out between themselves. That could happen. We don’t know, and I’m not trying to make it perfect all the time, because war is not perfect. It’s about survival, and that’s what the game is going to be.

Q:Did you choose the business model you’ll use with Eternal Crusade? Pay to Play of Free to Play?

A:. The game is free to play, but we have four races controlled by the player, while one is controlled by us. Only one of the playable races will be free to play, while the other three will be buy to play like Guild Wars 2.

Actually, all four playable races are buy to play, but the Orks have an option which is free to play: the Ork boyz. If you want to play our game and you don’t want to spend a single cent, you can still access the whole game and do whatever you want without restriction, but you can only be an Ork Boy. You can’t be an Ork Nob or above…Those are buy to play as well even if we’ll have very affordable pricing, definitely cheaper than Guild Wars 2.

That said, Ork Boyz are going to be free, and they will be able to progress horizontally with skills and everything, but vertically, if you want to become an Ork Nob, you’ll have to buy it. The reason for that is because in order to be responsible to give orders and objectives to other players, we want you to be a committed player. In order to become a leader in our game, you’ll need to pay.

Otherwise, if you’re ok with being a grunt and experience everything, then you can be an Ork Boy, and the reason for that is that you need at least three to five Ork Boyz in the Warhammer 40k universe to kill a Space Marine. If we made Ork Boyz as powerful as Space Marines, everyone would hate us, because it would fly in the face of the lore.

One of the strengths of Orks is numbers. You never talk about one Ork. You talk about hordes of Orks. Thousands of them. To represent that in our game we need our Ork Boyz to be way more numerous than the other races. Having them as free to play allows us to achieve that.

The other reason is because the difference in personality between committed players and free players is exactly the same difference between the culture of Space Marines and Orks.

Q: Warhammer 40,000 miniatures are normally very unique in their decorations and insignia. What kind of visual customization can we expect for our characters besides the campaign medals you spoke about?

A: Unlimited.

Q: Unlimited? That’s a tall promise…

A: We’re going to give you the tools to paint your armor the way you want it to be. Some parts of the armor are set in stone, as you’ll need to be recognizable, while others will be left to your creativity. With most of your looks you’ll be able to express yourself in the same way you can express yourself with miniatures.

It has just died in my eyes

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Actually, all four playable races are buy to play, but the Orks have an option which is free to play: the Ork boyz. If you want to play our game and you don’t want to spend a single cent, you can still access the whole game and do whatever you want without restriction, but you can only be an Ork Boy. You can’t be an Ork Nob or above…Those are buy to play as well even if we’ll have very affordable pricing, definitely cheaper than Guild Wars 2.

That said, Ork Boyz are going to be free, and they will be able to progress horizontally with skills and everything, but vertically, if you want to become an Ork Nob, you’ll have to buy it. The reason for that is because in order to be responsible to give orders and objectives to other players, we want you to be a committed player. In order to become a leader in our game, you’ll need to pay.
I really hope they give Space Marines a real high price tag. Please, please, please.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
This bit is the best

As an example we won’t have the Sisters of Battle at launch. We love them, but the reason why they won’t be playable at launch is because it’s almost impossible to make the kind of power they have fit the lore and make it fun at the same time. They always end up being killed by their own team because their pure blood is useful to defeat demons. It’s very difficult to implement that kind of sacrifice in the gameplay and still make it fun to play as a character.
I read it as a up yours to Mat Ward

Anyway I will definatly be playing this game no-matter what

·
Registered
614 Posts
The Ork Boys idea is probably the most original thing I have seen in a video game in a while. It makes a lot of sense fluff-wise too. I just fear that the Ork ranks will be overwhelming at launch and then will thin down a lot after a few months

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Thats the point, is for the Orks to have overwhelming ranks. Thats what they have in fluff, why not in game? Whenever people inevitably start buying the Eldar (which probably won't be that many people running about, but i've been wrong before), Chaos and regular space marines, the Orks advantage in numbers will still be there, it just won't be as one sided as it seemed at the start.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I think I may go Eldar, SMs and Orks will be the most popular but I think Eldar will be the least played and it would be cool to become an aspect warrior.

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
While I think the Ork thing is interesting, I'm doubtful about it working. I really don't think people will enjoy being an Ork if all you do is charge and hope there are enough people to take down a Marine where if yo pay a small amount yo can be something else. It's neat in theory but in practice I have doubts that it will work.

Plus the idea is new players will be the Orks, but I don't think it will be that full since people WILL pay to be someone else, even new players.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ok so planetside 2 mixed with Space marine, and your encouraged to grief? I admit it, im looking forward to this. Now here is hoping they can actually deliver. 40k really dosnt need a Aliens Colonial Marines scenario.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
This has my interest. Is the game planing on later on incorporating all the races in the 40K universe, or will it just be the few? As a table top Necon player that would be fun to play them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts