Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
visit roleplay threads!
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, was reading an article on the FellGlaive and part of it was this:

"Its rarity was because the Glaive was complicated to produce and staggeringly expensive"

Which just got me wondering about any references to how this is a factor. The Imperium has constantly been in a galactic-wide multi-war since the beginnings of the Great Crusade, so how does money play into that?

If the Emperor who was the leader of all mankind asked for some of these tanks to be made, wouldn't they just have to, I dunno, do it?

I haven't gotten around to reading any Mechanicus novels yet, but I never thought of them as using currency. Trading technology and blueprints, things of that nature, sure. But, I thought they just did their work out of devotion to it, and their praise of the Machine Spirit. So, thinking of what Mars's economy looks like is proving difficult.

Its hard for me to imagine a bunch of Mechanicus cult adepts working for money to go buy food at some shop haha. What else would they use money for? They could build their own vehicles, housing seems hardly an issue. They have so many agents throughout the galaxy bringing in materials for their own use and benefit and agreed to build military armor and vehicles for the Imperium for a joint protection of their individual endeavors, so why would Mars or any Forgeworld have the need for currency?

Any thoughts or references?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Remember, just because it is "expensive" doesn't necessiarly mean currency is being exchanged.

In the simplest terms, it might be expensive in terms of materials, labor, and/or arcane knowledge.

But also remember the Mechancius still has to interact with other bodies for materials or favors. Some medium of exchange would be simplify this.

In Soul Hunter, a rogue trader stumbles upon an adamantium rich asteroid. It states that the Mechancius would pay a "High Lord's ransom" for it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Outside of just the relative cost/scarcity of the materials, there's also it's relative worth compared to other items scheduled for production. I would think of it as Stormbird vs. Thunderhawk production during the GC. The Stormbirds were much better, more reliable, more versatile, etc., but the Thuderhawk could be produced far more easily and in greater numbers, so the Stormbirds slowly went extinct, so to speak. If you could produce 10 Lehman Russ tanks in the time it takes to produce 1 FellGlaive, what choice would you make?

·
Cruel Commissar
856 Posts
I asked a similar question on another forum. The most solid answer I got were that you can basically make up whatever you need though both thrones and credits have been used according to canon. Money still is an issue as I remember I read at TvTropes that when the Tau blew up the Imperial tax-office at a planet cheering erupted across the trenches as a crowning moment of funny.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Quite diverse. Currency, raw materials, technologies, STC, blueprints, authority, preferentialism, rights to benefits/profits/privileges, etc.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Quite diverse. Currency, raw materials, technologies, STC, blueprints, authority, preferentialism, rights to benefits/profits/privileges, etc.
To expand on that a bit: the Imperium consists of roughly a million worlds. Each world has it's own government, cultures, peoples, purpose and context. They are all tenuously linked to Terra by the Imperial Tithe. For many worlds, that is probably the only consistent contact they have with the wider Imperium - when the ships come to demand their due (whether it be in flesh, resources or anything else of value).

Each world would probably utilise a different form of economy or currency. Whether it is a barter economy, a world with a hundred or more currencies (like ours), a standardised currency or perhaps any other viable potential economical model that could exist. As far as we are aware there is no standard Imperial currency, I highly doubt a standardised currency across a million worlds linked only by inconsistent and dangerous warp travel would be plausible anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts