Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was supposed to be gone for a week on a business trip, but came home 3 days early since i finished my work faster than expected. I open the door to my apartment, and the first thing i notice is my painting/modeling table is in a bit of mess. Things like water still in the pot, brushes laying about, etc. I remembered cleaning up before i left, and was a bit warded out by this. Then i notice 2 brand new rhinos assembled and partly painted, that i knew for sure were not there before i left. Just then my girlfriend comes out of the kitchen, shocked, and explains that was supposed to be my birthday present (my birthday is saturday). That she researched the colors i was using, and knew i needed 2 more rhinos for my list. I told her it was an awesome present, and i was really happy, the paint job was pretty good to boot.

Anyways, my point is, she is not into my hobby at all. She knows about it, and finds it interesting, but has no intrest of participating herself, and this is still true, and im cool with that. ive had several other serious girls in the past, whom when the time comes for them to learn about my hobby, im nervous about it. I have never had a negative reaction to it.

All in all, i was wondering what reactions have you guys gotten from significant others not involved in the hobby?

ps
I know my girlfriend is awesome

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
My girlfriend when I told her about 40k bought an eldar battleforce for herself and we spent a weekend putting it together and painting it for her...among other things

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
...yeah...she hasn't read ALL the lore, but someday she's going to see that and say.."Oh fuck thats a fifth god now" xD she has actually gotten really good...she beats me most the time...but I play nids and she doesn't have enough to play a big enough of game for me to outswamp her with my gaunts

·
Registered
644 Posts
My fiancé isn't so much into the fluff as she is the models and the painting itself. She is buying a Space Wolves Battleforce at the end of the month, as she wants to play at the FLGS that I go to now.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Having a girlfreind and playing warhammer has never worked for me...sigh. luckies.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Damn, you're lucky.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
My wife thought grots were cute when she saw several of them sitting on top on my television. It was 16 years ago. She isn't into the hobby but she supports my hobby addiction by regularly buying me stuff for my various armies. Of course it is bad to let her go into the hobby store alone because she recently bought me a high elves army starter box and I don't even play fantasy. Still it was the thought that counts and it was an easy return to purchase things I did want.
So yeah you got a great girlfriend.

·
Disciple of Change
354 Posts
I had actually been with my girlfriend for almost two years before I discovered the hobby. She was very supportive, saying it was a good thing, that I needed something to do to take my mind off college and the military from time to time. Now she actually looks through galleries with me and has asked to paint a few of my minis with me. I'm hoping it continues to grow on her ^^ I love her lol

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
My girlfriend has no interest in 40k, to me a good thing, but she knows it's important to me and for my birthday this year she made a cake and had a crisis suit with drones on top. Great cake, really well put together model and an awesome girlfriend.

I honestly don't know what I would do if she got into 40k. We're both looking to be teachers and will therefore be living in a cardboard box that doubles as a gaming table. Besides the financial side of things, I tend to be an obsessive person, though what I obsess over changes, and am glad she's there to help me keep balance in my life and not hole up in my room to paint for days on end, though I probably will when she moves away at the end of the month. Having a girlfriend who's into 40k would probably weird me out a bit, to be honest. I've got two roommates who I run a 40k blog with, my only work space in my room is full of 40k and I always have Heresy and Blogger open for more 40k. It's good to have someone who can get me out of that mode of thinking. Oh, and girls have their own appeal that I don't think needs to cross over with 40k, but to each their own.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Miami, I play Tau and not well so that's a familiar sensation. I'd accept getting my butt kicked just to have more players at my FLGS, but I don't really want to date any of them. I get too competitive for my own good and the fellow gamer dynamic is much different from the girlfriend dynamic, well for me at least.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Miami, I play Tau and not well so that's a familiar sensation. I'd accept getting my butt kicked just to have more players at my FLGS, but I don't really want to date any of them. I get too competitive for my own good and the fellow gamer dynamic is much different from the girlfriend dynamic, well for me at least.
This is what the missus and I always laugh about. We are both the type of personality that would be at loggerheads over our armies/battles/rules/etc. Bad enough we are both psychologists as it is ^^.

·
Registered
475 Posts
@ cursedUNTILDEATH

Why has it never worked?
Becasue when they find out i play with with little toy soliders in the first thing to jump to thier mind is nerd or geek or "its going to be cool to tell my friends that my boyfriend paints toy soliders in for a board game they wont tell me to dump him" and any hope i had or that relatoinship goes bye bye. Its also me because i cant take people saying shit about warhammer... my temper is very short. I am anti socail so i dont speak to girls much, about the only people i speak to in a week are some of my friends and the guys at my club. its not like i dont try, i just dont try very hard.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Becasue when they find out i play with with little toy soliders in the first thing to jump to thier mind is nerd or geek or "its going to be cool to tell my friends that my boyfriend paints toy soliders in for a board game they wont tell me to dump him" and any hope i had or that relatoinship goes bye bye. Its also me because i cant take people saying shit about warhammer... my temper is very short. I am anti socail so i dont speak to girls much, about the only people i speak to in a week are some of my friends and the guys at my club. its not like i dont try, i just dont try very hard.
You are probably just trying to date the wrong breed of women. Don't pick the pretentious ones that only examine what is on the outside.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I started the Hobby about 4 months ago and my wife was supportive all the way, she even sits with me form time to time and helps me painting the models.

About three weeks ago I purchased the Horus Heresy Board Game, and she's been hooked to the fluff ever since (I think partly because she kicks the s*** out of me every time we play the game :biggrin:).

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I was supposed to be gone for a week on a business trip, but came home 3 days early since i finished my work faster than expected. I open the door to my apartment, and the first thing i notice is my painting/modeling table is in a bit of mess. Things like water still in the pot, brushes laying about, etc. I remembered cleaning up before i left, and was a bit warded out by this. Then i notice 2 brand new rhinos assembled and partly painted, that i knew for sure were not there before i left. Just then my girlfriend comes out of the kitchen, shocked, and explains that was supposed to be my birthday present (my birthday is saturday). That she researched the colors i was using, and knew i needed 2 more rhinos for my list. I told her it was an awesome present, and i was really happy, the paint job was pretty good to boot.

Anyways, my point is, she is not into my hobby at all. She knows about it, and finds it interesting, but has no intrest of participating herself, and this is still true, and im cool with that. ive had several other serious girls in the past, whom when the time comes for them to learn about my hobby, im nervous about it. I have never had a negative reaction to it.

All in all, i was wondering what reactions have you guys gotten from significant others not involved in the hobby?

ps
I know my girlfriend is awesome
Does she have a sister? She sounds like an abustue dream to me.
Anyway back on topic. i hav e had 1 girlfriend and she actually started the hobby be it LOTR whihc was the only systen i played at the time and i even gave her a large army to start with form my own collection.....however she gor board and left the hopbby about 3-6 months later and gave me all the stuff she had bouhgt. *about the only useful thying i got out of her in the end really*
Not sure why she stoped tho i belive that she started to try and make me happy completly forgettign aobut her self

1 - 20 of 81 Posts