Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
via 40k Radio 12-25-2013

40k 7th ed is slated for 2014 with fantasy 9th being scrapped for the time being. Apparently the source is the one that has been leaking them the info on SM and their other highly reliable previous rumours......
via Faeit 12-27-2013
The next edition of 40k will be called 7th, not 6.5 when it drops, but as far as rules go it will be less of a jump than 5th to 6th.

The key areas being updated:
Interceptor, sky fire, fortifications, lords of war, allies and data slates.

As for its release it'll probably be September not "the summer."

It's not finished yet, still being tested so anything can happen.

The thought behind this edition is to make the game less alpha strike explosive and more "competitive" at all points values (even when including Lords of War), but D weapons outside of apocalypse may see alternate rules.

ps
Pistols in close combat in 7th
via 40K Radio 1-24-2014

Warhammer 7th Edition is a real thing for 2014.
1) It will purely be a book release.
2) It could be released as early as May.
3) Rulebook with incorporate data slates, escalation, stronghold assault, and some tweaks.
7th Edition Latest - 2-13-2014
Warhammer 40,000 7th Edition
7th Edition arrives in May
-A "true" release
- Updated fortification fules
- Integrated super-heavy rules
- Clarifications and FAQed rules from 6th

Lower quality chatter speaks of:
-Overwatch altered to deny shooting next turn
-Unit to unit assault leaping via consolodation moves returning to the ruleset
via Faeit 4-10-2014

40k 7th edition and the new starter kit Beachhead Stygia. It is small kit, with only five scouts, five blood angels, a commander with jump pack, five meganobs, 10 armoured ork shootas including a nob with two-handed axe and 10 gretchins. There are some destroyed columns, destroyed gothic stone walls and a three-piece stone bridge carried by gargoyles. It has a 96 page book, but only about the half is used for rules including three scenarios. Expert rules like all vehicle-related stuff are omitted completely. There are a handful of dice, a ruler, but no blast markers.

At the same time, there will be a new starter painting kit with 10 snapfit miniatures that will bring the tactical marines from the starter box to a full squad size and gives the ork player 5 additional boyz. It has a 48 page booklet with additional scenarios and hobby guides, brushes, basing sand and glue.
Faiet 10/04/2014
via an anonymous source on Faeit 212
- 7th 40k edition is only a minor update
- 40k run is part of the movement phase
- assault distance is not influenced by terrain, but gives minus two to
initiative
- vector strikes allow armour saves, but deal one to six hits
- 40k uses a percentage system for the army list
- you can bring as many different allies as you want. You can spend a
fourth of your points on allies, but they also count as their normal
category
- you can bring three allies to a game and must choose one
- bikes can strike units in 1” in the movement phase without assaulting
just like chariots, but can attacked back
- fortification and lords of war rules are in, but no profiles
- you have to pass a initiative test to shoot overwatching, get minus three
to ballistic talent
- you can engage new unit after victory in melee, but enemy can shoot
overwatch again
- you can choose to flee if you are charged but can be destroyed
- if you want to run in 12” of enemy you have to pass a leadertest
- vehicles get no cover saves against infantry, only against other vehicles
Rumors are rumors, so don't get too upset if they do/don't happen.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I am dismayed that I may have to shell out another ~100 for a new core rulebook, but if they're gunna give me fancy BA models I'll take it. Plus there are a few things that could be tweaked...sometimes I feel like my buddy and I are the only people who actually like 6th :laugh:

Fuck GW has me by the balls.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I am dismayed that I may have to shell out another ~100 for a new core rulebook, but if they're gunna give me fancy BA models I'll take it. Plus there are a few things that could be tweaked...sometimes I feel like my buddy and I are the only people who actually like 6th :laugh:

Fuck GW has me by the balls.

I suspect that the 6.5 ed or what ever might just be 6th ed + Stronghold Assault, and/or Escalation rolled into one? So if you already have those, you might not even need it.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I suspect that the 6.5 ed or what ever might just be 6th ed + Stronghold Assault, and/or Escalation rolled into one? So if you already have those, you might not even need it.
Why would they combine books to save us money? If it comes out it will be something that takes money from us given GW's marketing history I'd wager, especially seeing as how the top rumour states "7th not 6.5".

Time will tell I suppose.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Why would they combine books to save us money? If it comes out it will be something that takes money from us given GW's marketing history I would assume.
I can't imagine it being purely an entire new BRB, as it's only been half the time between editions.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Enjoy the sea-fresh saltiness:

via an anonymous source on Faeit 212
- 7th 40k edition is only a minor update
- 40k run is part of the movement phase
- assault distance is not influenced by terrain, but gives minus two to
initiative
- vector strikes allow armour saves, but deal one to six hits
- 40k uses a percentage system for the army list
- you can bring as many different allies as you want. You can spend a
fourth of your points on allies, but they also count as their normal
category
- you can bring three allies to a game and must choose one
- bikes can strike units in 1” in the movement phase without assaulting
just like chariots, but can attacked back
- fortification and lords of war rules are in, but no profiles
- you have to pass a initiative test to shoot overwatching, get minus three
to ballistic talent
- you can engage new unit after victory in melee, but enemy can shoot
overwatch again
- you can choose to flee if you are charged but can be destroyed
- if you want to run in 12” of enemy you have to pass a leadertest
- vehicles get no cover saves against infantry, only against other vehicles

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I can't imagine it being purely an entire new BRB, as it's only been half the time between editions.
What have the previous time differences between editions been? I'm not even sure I know how long 6th has been kicking around...2 years ish?

Enjoy the sea-fresh saltiness
Reminds me of my days by the coast! hahaha

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Editions before had a 5 year gap, save for 5-6 which had a 4 year gap. If GW is seeing a major drop in sales for 40k (which is their flagship game) they might be looking at a way to fix it, which would start with a new edition (especially if all this pushing of new codexes hasn't fixed the issue).

I have my doubts however, but if it's based around a small number of changes then it might be true.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Personally, I think there hasn't been enough of a time lapse for a 7E, I think that with the lack of rules on the starter, and only scenarios that we may be looking at a refreshed starter set pointing to the 6E rules for expanding on games.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Perhaps it is to bring in new players, shake things up and refresh things like Jace said, which i believe was the purpose of changing IG to AM. To make things feel new and exciting again, it is an excellent business strategy and works wonders

I have my doubts though, i highly doubt they postponed 9th ed fantasy and are putting out a new ed of 40k, theres just no logic to that idea

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Perhaps it is to bring in new players, shake things up and refresh things like Jace said, which i believe was the purpose of changing IG to AM. To make things feel new and exciting again, it is an excellent business strategy and works wonders

I have my doubts though, i highly doubt they postponed 9th ed fantasy and are putting out a new ed of 40k, theres just no logic to that idea
Actually there is one thing that would be logical to that idea: 40k, their flagship product at this point, losing sales tracing back to when 6th started. If they think 6th is a flop they could try and push out an updated set of rules to fix that and reverse course on it.

But that's just speculation.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Well yeah, i was working under the assumption that 6th ed is generally liked. Im new as of this ed so Im unfamiliar with the differences that most players would be unhappy with.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well yeah, i was working under the assumption that 6th ed is generally liked. Im new as of this ed so Im unfamiliar with the differences that most players would be unhappy with.
Reactions to it have been largely mixed and anecdotally there have been a fair number who have claimed to quit or buy less this edition.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Hmmm, that would warrant an update then if their sales figures reflect that unhappiness. And its evident by this board that previous ed players are likely to return if they like the new ed

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmm, that would warrant an update then if their sales figures reflect that unhappiness. And its evident by this board that previous ed players are likely to return if they like the new ed
Christmas 2013 revenue figures do show a dip from 2013 but some of that could be related to the cruddy sales season everyone had.

And generally, that is likely the hope that it'd bring people back.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
All valid ideas, Zion, but I think that if this happens then its no different than Wizards of the Coast doing a new Core Set every year.
7E this soon is just not right by my view of this. Keeping things fresh like updating the Starter every couple of years does as it will most likely hit the market close to the time the two armies in it get an updated Codex to possibly boost those sales. If true, we may yet see something two years down the road like Space Wolves vs Dark Eldar in another new starter.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I think 7th edition coming so soon could burn a lot of players,
it's one hell of a gamble and I think the best case scenario would be a slight upturn.

I hope either the rumour is wrong, or I am.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think 7th edition coming so soon could burn a lot of players,
it's one hell of a gamble and I think the best case scenario would be a slight upturn.

I hope either the rumour is wrong, or I am.
An initial slight uptick could result in a much larger one in time. IT's all about trends (assuming there is a down trend that is).

Fantasy isn't even on of the big 5 games anymore so I see GW trying to protect 40k before it slips off the big 5 too.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts