Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting together 400pt combat patrol list. This is what I am looking at so far. Any other suggetsions appreciated. I only have 1 war walker so I can't add another. I have 3 jet bikes I could sub. as well. Would Banshee's be better than scorps?

1- DA Exarch-Bladestorm, shim. shield, power weapon.

9- DA's .

1- Warwalker 2x scatter lasers.

5-Striking scorps.

total 394 pts.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
scorpions will last longer on foot and are better against non MEQ units. Banshees would be faster on the move but lack the armor need to stay alive.

At 400 points I think a guardian squad with a platform would work better and have a greater range than the scorpions.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I was toying with a weapons platform as well. I have acquired a second warwalker, so I am going to add that to the mix.

Looking at this now:

9 - DA's.

1- DA exarch; bladestorm, shim. shield and power weapon.

2- Warwalkers; both with BL and SL and stones.

5- Scorps.

comes out to 402

Warwalkers can deal with any pesky tau transports and troops. DA' put down a wall o' shurikens and the exarch will bolster and use power weapon to chop any interlopers. Scorps will be for close defense of DA's as well. Thoughts?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Don't have BL. Usually the argument against it is "it's too expensive to put on War walkers" which is valid in and of itself, but in a combat patrol, it is absolutely useless. You will never see anything higher than AV 12 with the 33 combined AV limit and BL, just as EML, penetrates AV 12 on a 5+. So basically you're paying 10 points more for something that works exactly the same. And not to be overlooked, EML has an anti-infantry mode to boot.

I like Scatterlasers x 2, that should be able to deal with light transports. But if you expect an IG Chimera wall(which is AV 12 10 10), go with 2 EMLs, rather than mix the weapons. It'll still be cheaper than your current loadout.

Also, I doubt the Shimmershield will help you much, it is especially true in a game like this, where literally every shot counts, that Avengers are primarily a range unit, so exploit that to its fullest. Dual shuriken catapults on the Exarch will give you 3 more shots when Bladestorming. If you must have a power weapon, take the shuriken pistol + power weapon combo, it's cheaper and gives you a much needed extra attack in CC(for having two CCWs). With the points you spared, give your Scorpion squad another Scorpion.

Other than that, pretty solid list.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips. I kinda thought BL's were too much. Gonna go staright SL's x 2 on the warwalkers. Will switch out the exarchs gear and give him the power weapon/shuricat combo.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Glad to help! :)

If you have leftover points and since you clearly want your Avengers to be a somewhat hybrid unit, consider giving them Defend. It helps if there is a PF sargeant for example, in the squad assaulting you or the squad you assault after Bladestorm(preferably this). This way he only ever gets one attack that hits on 4+, so you'll probably kill more marines with your PW than he will with his PF.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ran my combat patrol today against orcs. Went 1 for 1. Used 5 scorps instead of banshees in round 1. Set up one warwalker with SL x 2 and the other with EML x 2, then ran the 9 DA's and their exarch with diresword and shuri. pistol. EML killed his deff dred before it ever got a chance to do anything. DA's did so so, but were finally chopped up by orc boyz in CC. Scorps did well flanking the boyz, and had a 2 to 1 kill ratio before they got wiped out. Warwalkers then dismantled what was left. Ran it again and switched out scorps with banshees. Banshees were spanked and it went down hill from their (lots of rolls of 1). All in all list worked well and was pretty versatile. Will keep the scorps in lineup. Thanks for all the advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.