Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been away from the game for a while, so excuse me if this is obvious. Am I right in thinking that 3rd Ed army lists are legal in 4th Ed, so long as there hasn't been an updated 4th Ed list?

I only ask because I have a 3rd Ed list for my Genestealer Cult, and I doubt they'll be updating it any time soon! :wink: So basic question: a 3rd Ed list isn't going to break the game?

Cheers!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Depends really, one our guys from FLAME ON! has a genestealer cult army but bases the rules on the Witchunter codex so you can always find a current set of rules that suits the models and style of play that you were used to.
In a friendly environment I suppose given permission It might be ok but Rhino rushing Stealers sounds a tad extreme! :shock:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LongBeard said:
Depends really, one our guys from FLAME ON! has a genestealer cult army but bases the rules on the Witchunter codex so you can always find a current set of rules that suits the models and style of play that you were used to.
Well, just in case, I've got two proxy lists (Tyranids and Chaos Cultists), but I'd prefer to use the proper (albeit 3rd Ed) list if I can.

LongBeard said:
It might be ok but Rhino rushing Stealers sounds a tad extreme! :shock:
It is. I did it all the time in 2nd Ed! :wink:

Can't do it in the 3rd Ed list though, which is basically IG with Genies as Elite choices. To be honest, I'm looking forward more to using the "crippled" list, as it should be more challenging to do well with than the 2nd Ed monstrosity which rolled over pretty much everything.

Orks are still labouring under a 3rd Ed Codex aren't they? And Necrons? So there's nothing illegal about using a 3rd Ed list?

Sorry. I don't know if I'm being very clear.

·
Registered
333 Posts
You can still use 3rd codices in 4th ed. They're not usable at tournaments but for friendly play its up to you what you play really. Be aware that most 3rd codices have had official FAQ's for 4th ed. so you'll have to make a decision on which way to play stuff that doesn't work in 4th ed. I'd definitely be up for a game vs. Stealer cult in a friendly game, much like Kroot Mercs, Feral Orks, Speed Freekz etc.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the only differences between 3rd and 4th that have affected my list is that Genies have had their saving throw improved, so I'm not going to complain too much. :wink: Also, I doubt there's much point in me taking a Genie Cult to a tournament!

Thanks for the information though.

Out of interest, how do armies that use 3rd Ed lists (like Orks and Necrons) play at tournaments? It's okay to use the Codex if it's backed up with a 4th Ed FAQ? I'm just asking out of interest now, as I doubt there'll be an official update to the Cult list. :lol:

Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
0 Posts
It is my understanding that a 3rd edition codex is usable at tournaments only if a 4th edition has not been published. Can someone verify this please.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Thats the case djinnn. If anyones that bothered you can download the GT rules from the website.

The salient points: You HAVE to use the latest codex unless it was released less than a month before the tourny (in which case you use the previous) and normally they make which codex is legal extremely clear.

Any of the 'campaign' lists are banned. So nothing from eye of terror, armageddon, storm of chaos, lustria etc.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Thanks Panda that is what I thought but I wanted to confirm before posting to the FAQ, I will try to keep these older topic to a minimum but some just do not have a clear answer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts