Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Space marines ( 13th Legion/ Ultramarines chapter), tyranids, Drukhari, Custodes, SoS,
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am having trouble putting together a competitive 3k UM list from the 5k (ish) worth of models I have. A 'brief' summary of what I can field is below

6x Tactical squads- mixes of plasma guns/heavy bolters/melta guns/ MM/ Lascannons/flamers/ missile launchers
Seargents with combi weapons/ power swords & fists

Stormtalon Gunship x1
Stormraven Gunship x1
Land speeders x 4
20+ terminators (no assault at the moment however :( )
Sterngaurd Vet squads x2
3x Dreadnoughts & 1x Venerable Dreadnought
7 man bike squad & 3 attack bikes- interchangeable weapons
Marneus Calgar
Chapter Master with lightning claw & Combi plas
Tigurius
Various chaplains (terminator/ bike/ jump pack)
Captain Sicarius
Command Squad (Champion/ Apothecary/ standard bearer)
4x Rhinos
3x Drop pod (2 unbuilt)
3 land raiders (1 unbuilt)
3 Vindicators (1 unbuilt)
2 predator annihilators
1 Thunderfire cannon & Techmarine
2x Devastator Squads
2x Assault squads (1 squad unbuilt)
10 man scout squad with Telion & Missile Launcher/ heavy bolter/ shotgun/ sniper rifles

Generally was considering a mobile armoured force, consisiting of land raiders and vindicators, with tactical squads and assault squads. Backed up with flyers and land speeders. Thinking of running Calgar and command squad in a drop pod to take out priority target T1 (incredibly risky however)

What are your opinions/ criticisms/ ideas for this game? I will be facing orks/ tau/ chaos daemons.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I'd be building up those Drop Pods and the second Vindicator. If you did a T1 DP with Marneus in it what would you want from the Command Squad? CC potential (ie. everyone's gunna need the best save they can get to survive dropping) or shooting potential? I've toyed with the idea of running a Storm Shield/Lightning Claw CS with a couple Melta Guns in there for armour popping T1. Throw a couple Dreadnoughts in the other Pods and prosper. You could take 4x 10 man Tactical squads in Rhinos and have them accompanied by the Vindicators, while the Drop Pods (potentially supported by Assault Marines) rush up for melee.

·
Registered
Space marines ( 13th Legion/ Ultramarines chapter), tyranids, Drukhari, Custodes, SoS,
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ran a similar list that you specified, however, due to my friend changing his list without telling anyone ( expected necrons, got greater demons) my list suffered as a result: I got into a fist-fight with a 999pt Lord of Change- guess who won lol ("who brings a power fist to a god-fight?")

We are having a similar battle this following Monday at Warhammer World. 9000pts per team, 3 guys on each team. I know for a fact I may be facing up to 3 Knights, a baneblade and a box-full of greater daemons from each chaos camp.

Now I have an issue. Comsidering the sheer volume of super-heavies I will be facing and the fact I cant afford any of my own (saving for a house will do that to you) what would you suggest?

Ideas are more than welcome :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts