Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been only a day or two since I played my first game (the introductory kind, you know :p), so bear with me. Hell, I'm not sure if this is legal at all, I just did some research on Battle College, put together a list on Forward Kommander and here I am! :laugh:

We're going to have a big tournament in November here and I might just end up getting 35 pts of fanatical pyromaniacs. :)

So heres the list:

Harbinger of Menoth

Devout

Repenter

Repenter

Castigator

Crusader

Choir of Menoth (Leader and 5 Grunts)

Exemplar Errants (Leader and 9 Grunts)

Exemplar Errant Officer & Standard Bearer

Total: 35 pts

The idea is that the whole army advances forward and burn everything to cinders. The Castigator is followed by the Crusader and flanked by Repenters, while the Devout protects the Harbringer. I'm not sure about the fleshy bits of this list, but from the little I've gathered the choir sings buffs pretty well and the Errants can soak a lot of damage and even dish out some on their own.

Don't go easy on me. :)

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
It's nice, though quite Jack heavy for a 35 points list. Harby should be able to handle it, though it would be nice to find an extra point, and fit in some wracks for the extra focus...

I don't have much time just at the moment, but I'll come back and take a close look at it a little later - I'm going to try to put together my own Harby force in due time, so seeing how others put theirs together is good practice :)

Just going off the top of my head though, one possible change you could make would be to drop the second repenter, drop the max choir for two min choirs, add in some wracks, and either take a two point solo (like the Vassal of Menoth) or upgrade the Crusader to a vanquisher or reckoner. That would mean extra focus, the ability to use two different prayers when needed (though obviously not on the same Jacks), making your choirs a bit more difficult to get rid of.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The second choir is a good idea, this way I can buff a pair of jacks. I'm not sure if Harby needs a Wrack and that one point can be better spent elsewhere. I prefer to have a pair of Repenters, since they have a great ARM for a light jack and their flamethrowers are priceless, especially if properly combined with the Castigator, who couldn't care less if he got under their templates or not. But switching the Crusader to a Reckoner is a great idea, since it has reach, a yummy gun and most importantly a HUGE beatstick. I've no idea how could I ignore that. :)

So heres my revised list:

Harbinger of Menoth

Devout

Repenter

Repenter

Castigator

Reckoner

Exemplar Errants (Leader and 5 Grunts)

Total: 35

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Reckoners are great, certainly - 10" threat range compared to a Crusader's 7.5" is a big difference. Plus, assault on your gun gives you a shooting threat range of 20" (22" with Harby's Crusaders Call), which is pretty damn good. It means you could be shooting right from the first turn, which can be a great psychological benefit against your opponent - it puts them on the defensive from the start.

The second choir is a good idea, this way I can buff a pair of jacks.
You could buff a whole bunch of Jacks really - remember that each individual member of the choir can buff a Jack, not just one Choir to one Jack. That threw me when I was first looking at them, and trying to work out why everyone said they were the best thing since sliced bread. As it is, a single Max Choir could buff all your Jacks, but I think having a few spare bodies to soak up casualties, and the option of using two different Hyms in a turn, gives you a bit more flexibility with them. Also, don't forget they have reach weapons - they may not be very good at combat, but they're very good for free strikes on enemies trying to get to your caster.

I doubt you'd need two Max Choirs though, two units of 4 should be enough to buff your 5 Jacks, and three spare bodies for when you take casualties. That's an extra two points that cold be better spent elsewhere I think. In fact, they would be better spent on an Officer/standard bearer for your Errants. Two extra bodies, Pathfinder, Quick work and being untargetable by spells turns them from a decent unit into an exceptional one.

The list, as it is, does leave you a little short of fighting bodies, but I think the pair of repenters will even up the odds when taking on infantry heavy armies. You are right about them being awesome, doubly so when buffed by a choir (Rat 7, Pow14 spray with cont. fire? Woot!). They can certainly clear out the chaff, that's for sure :)

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Goodie-goodie, I have a list then to work with! I'll just swap those two points as you suggested then I'm done! Oh and I checked again, the tournament is in October, not November. :laugh: I just hope I can get enough money to buy them all then paint them, though it should be piss easy after 40K. :p

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Goodie-goodie, I have a list then to work with! I'll just swap those two points as you suggested then I'm done! Oh and I checked again, the tournament is in October, not November. :laugh: I just hope I can get enough money to buy them all then paint them, though it should be piss easy after 40K. :p
That's a tight deadline - good luck with it :victory: Get in a few games with them if you can, and let us know how they went for you!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From the looks of it, attending the tournament is impossible because I just can't get the models and then paint them in time. Regardless, I've been perfecting the design of this list and built this:

Harbinger of Menoth
Repenter
Repenter
Castigator
Reckoner
Hierophant
Choir of Menoth (Leader and 3 Grunts)
Exemplar Bastions (Leader and 4 Grunts)
Visgoth Juviah Rhoven & 2 Honor Guard

The jacks make use of the craploads of Focus the Harbringer has, while the infantry exploit her selflessness to stay alive and make others wish they died before battle, while the Hierophant keeps the girl from killing herself in a rather tragic-comic fashion. The jack synergy remains the same as before but having no experience with units I'm not sure what to expect from the Bastions and the Visgoth. On paper this looks nice but my gut feeling tells me that it needs more skill than I have at the moment... but that can be fixed. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks like a good list, but it looks a bit small. 4 jacks seems high, but harpy with her 10 focus can probably manage it. As an alternative here's my list I'm using (bear in mind that I've only had 1 game so far, so what I say could be useless):

Epic Kreoss
Crusader
Crusader
Crusader
Temple Flameguard (Leader & 9 Grunts)
Exemplar Errants (Leader & 5 Grunts)
Exemplar Bastions (Leader & 4 Grunts)
Reclaimer
Choir (Leader & 3 Grunts)

What I found in my last game was:

Temple Flameguard: Good at holding stuff up for a while and feeding the reclaimer soul tokens which in turn helps feeds the jacks

Choir: They are indeed sick for 2 points, immune to non magic ranged weapons on the way in them +2 to atk & dam when you get close, bargain for 2 pts

Bastions: Seemed good, but weren't really tested, just deploy as close to where you want them to be and run full speed towards their target, as they aren't that fast.

Errants: These were a bit poor, but they were against a jack heavy force, they should mash up infantry fine, and they are great for holding onto an objective, because if an opponent kills the errant on the objective they can sacrifice another model so you keep onto the objective (just make sure you place the errant on the front edge of the objective to stop the opponent moving onto it.

Reclaimer: He was good in my game because I had the cheap flameguard, but wouldn't work well in your list

The only thing I think your list is missing is an arc node to help the harpy stay back and cast spells. Upgrading one of the repenters to one of the arc node light jacks (2 pts extra) or upgrading one of the heavy jacks to a guardian (1 pt extra). The place to lose points (imho) is the Hierophant, as I think there are better things to spend 2 pts on (eg. extra choir, covenant, upgrading to an arc node jack).

Rathstar

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats a nice eKreoss list, though I'd use Exemplars instead of Flameguards to fit his theme. And the buffs he throws around aren't bad either.

I don't plan on staying behind with Harby, I'll be rushing ahead like the fist of the north star and smash into my opponent's lines with the force of a thousand sons. :)

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Thats a nice eKreoss list, though I'd use Exemplars instead of Flameguards to fit his theme. And the buffs he throws around aren't bad either.

I don't plan on staying behind with Harby, I'll be rushing ahead like the fist of the north star and smash into my opponent's lines with the force of a thousand sons. :)
It's possible to do, just be careful with her, and camp a lot of focus - that's hard to do when you're running a bunch of Jacks, as there's always the temptation to boost another jack just a little more :p

I might recommend reading up on some tactics/tricks with her here, on Dicegods thread about winning the Australian Nationals. There is some really good advice in there, especially towards the end, where they go into detail about why certain choices work well with her. I found it most helpful myself :)

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's possible to do, just be careful with her, and camp a lot of focus - that's hard to do when you're running a bunch of Jacks, as there's always the temptation to boost another jack just a little more :p

I might recommend reading up on some tactics/tricks with her here, on Dicegods thread about winning the Australian Nationals. There is some really good advice in there, especially towards the end, where they go into detail about why certain choices work well with her. I found it most helpful myself :)
That guy is insanely good. Though using mercs is heresy. :p Just kidding, I'd do the same if I knew more about them but I still have to learn the basics. :p

I see his point about the Bastions, but I love the models and the concept so I'll try and stick to them for a while. Though utility units are my soft spot (I LOVE having a BIIIG toolbox =D), so I can already see myself getting into a dilemma later. :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts