Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been putting together some new models for my BA army recently and have been absolutely loving the new 32mm base size for my Death Company. The models look incredibly more proportionate, and considering how many jump troops I have swinging weapons all over the place I look forward to a subtly cleaner assault phase for physical model movement (maybe a few less models stuck together as they die and are removed from the melee...). While I was putting them together I looked at the box of Necron Warriors I have to assemble and wondered if it's generally OK to put 32mm bases on more things? Not gunna lie, I was kind of appalled that GW didn't repack the Warriors with the larger bases, their feet are possibly the worst fit for a 25mm base I've had the (dis)pleasure of putting glue to. Warriors look just at home on the 32 as the thicker Marine models, but I wouldn't want to rock the boat and unpack an army that isn't going to be allowed on the table. I know that ultimately it's the people I'm going to be playing against whose opinions make the difference but I'm curious to see what Heresy thinks of this. Would people throw up a fuss if I unpacked a Necron army that was full-on 32mm bases despite GW shipping the models with 25mm ones? I'm sure other armies/kits have similar issues, I just don't have the knowledge to include them in this.

Thanks for reading :)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I'd be fine fighting it.

Larger bases means you're more spread out vs blast weapons but you can't fit as many 'men' in a small space to maximise shooting.
You'd have a larger footprint for objective taking but you wouldn't be able to hide as easily.
And the main thing - I think it would look cool ��

·
Registered
393 Posts
I agree there are some models that look stupid on the older 25mm bases. I was happier when the new 32mm bases were available as the eldar shadow spectres look far more comfortable on the new bases. For me its using whats best for the models & looks cool. But then i do also prefer the rt termies to be also on the newer 40mm bases because they looked crowded on the original 25mm 1s

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Larger bases means you're more spread out vs blast weapons
This is pretty much the thing that I am/was worried about. Some people take it more seriously than others I suppose, eh?

i do also prefer the rt termies to be also on the newer 40mm bases because they looked crowded on the original 25mm 1s
Oh man, one of the most crucial things when I came back to the hobby was how much cooler Terminators looked over when I was a kid. I've still got the 2nd edition of Space Hulk (from when it was released, of course :grin:) and those models just don't even compare. GW, despite everything everyone says about them, have always been on the cutting edge of mini manufacturing. There's some bunk stuff for sure, but most of that is represented by the sculpts of yesteryear.

Either way, it's nice to see this relaxed attitude toward it! I think I'll need ~300 of these to convert everything up, but damn it's gunna make so much more sense.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts