Warpstone Spikes
[250]

Doomwheel
[150]

Doomwheel
[150]

[2998]

*Depending on the available Common Items in 8th Edition

Now, a lot depends on the actual rules when they are released. This is mostly me formulating what to buy. As it stands, this wouldn't cost me all that much, but I would be staring down almost 200 models to paint, which is painful. Still, I think it would be fun to paint, generally, and the Abomination would be fun to cobble together out of Rat Ogre bits (Battalion leftovers!).

Thoughts on the list? Ideas? Suggestions?

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
It's not bad. The numbers seem a bit odd-- why 26, when 26 leaves a guy straggling in a sixth rank, for example. Also, the clanrats might as well have spears. It's a point per model to give them spears -and- shields, so you might as well just give it to 'em. That way, if any of them live through a round of combat, you've got a couple attacks back. There are enough S4 things running around that light armour/hand weapon/shield isn't going to save anything in any meaningful way, but the volume of return attacks from spears combined with static resolution should help there. You can find points for that by dropping the power stones from your casters-- power stones are of limited use in general, but since Skaven have warpstone tokens, they're quite useless for Skaven.

As for the common items-- whatever the common items list in 8th Edition (and it should be the same), what's in the Skaven army book supersedes it-- the points values and options that're there are what you've got to work with. GW has made it a company policy to write books that come out within a year or so of a new edition with that new edition in mind, and since Skaven are a relatively new army book, I think they should be in excellent shape come the release.

·
Slaanesh's Plaything
1,290 Posts
The numbers are a bit odd. With the 8th edition rules they will live through combat as you take dead models from the back. I would give them spears as HW and shield now gives a 6+ ward save so not as good as before. Spears will let you hit back in 2 ranks.

Also common magic items wont be the same in 8th. There are up to 50 new ones in the rulebook that can be taken by any army.

·
Slaanesh's Plaything
1,290 Posts
I suppose you mean the magic items, first it was rumoured by a rumour monger on warseer who has not been wrong about any of the 8th rumours so far. Also some shops held trail games early and the staff claimed it was true. It could still be wrong but I am 80% sure.

So far the rumours are 50-85 magic items can be used by every army bar dwarfs and Daemons of Chaos.
Here are some of the ones that have been confirmed.
Staff of Channelling Wizard channels additional PD at the roll of 5+ instead of 6
Screaming Blade: Bearer causes Fear
Potion of Strength: 20 points, +D3 Strength for one turn
Potion of Toughness: 20 points, +D3 Toughness for one turn

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lord:
Grey Seer
Screaming Bell
Shadow Magnet Trinket, Skalm, Warplock Pistol, Tail Weapon
[516]

Heros:
Plague Priest
Level 1, Flail, Foul Pendant
Plague Furnace
[284]

Plague Priest
Level 1, Flail
Plague Furnace
[254]

Warlock Engineer
Level 1, Warp-Energy Condenser
[85]

Core:
(40) Clan Rats
Spears, Shields, Full Command, Poisoned Wind Mortar
[285]

(30) Clan Rats
[235]

(30) Clan Rats
[235]

(30) Slaves
Musician
[62]

(30) Slaves
Musician
[62]

Special:
(25) Plague Monks
Musician, Standard Bearer, Storm Banner
[240]

(25) Plague Monks
Musician, Standard Bearer
[190]

Rare:
Hell Pit Abomination
Warpstone Spikes
[250]

Doomwheel
[150]

Doomwheel
[150]

[2998]

If I need to, I can cut some stuff, like the Engineer, for extra goodies once the new rulebook comes out. This may be my final "to-buy" list, since I think it cover all my bases. The only other unit I am thinking of getting are some PCBs, just to have for variety sake. Perhaps even another HPA, for the same reason.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
I suppose you mean the magic items, first it was rumoured by a rumour monger on warseer who has not been wrong about any of the 8th rumours so far. Also some shops held trail games early and the staff claimed it was true. It could still be wrong but I am 80% sure.

So far the rumours are 50-85 magic items can be used by every army bar dwarfs and Daemons of Chaos.
Here are some of the ones that have been confirmed.
Staff of Channelling Wizard channels additional PD at the roll of 5+ instead of 6
Screaming Blade: Bearer causes Fear
Potion of Strength: 20 points, +D3 Strength for one turn
Potion of Toughness: 20 points, +D3 Toughness for one turn
Sweet, sounds interesting. Cheers for that mate :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
i can vouch for that cheese :)

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
So, small revisions:

Lord:
Grey Seer
Screaming Bell
Shadow Magnet Trinket, Skalm, Warplock Pistol, Tail Weapon
[516]

Hero:
Plague Priest
Level 1, Flail, Foul Pendant
Plague Furnace
[284]

Plague Priest
Level 1, Flail, Dispel Scroll
Plague Furnace
[279]

Chieftain
Battle Standard Bearer, Shield
[82]

Core:
(40) Clanrats [Bell]
Shields, Spears, Full Command, Plaguewind Mortar
[285]

(30) Clanrats
Shields, Spears, Full Command
Plague Wind Mortar
[235]

(30) Clanrats
Shields, Spears, Full Command
Plague Wind Mortar
[235]

(25) Skavenslaves
Musician
[52]

(25) Skavenslaves
Musician
[52]

Special:
(25) Plague Monks (Furnace)
Musician, Standard Bearer, Storm Banner
[240]

(25) Plague Monks (Furnace)
Musician, Standard Bearer
[190]

Rare:
Hell Pit Abomination
Warpstone Spikes
[250]

Doomwheel
[150]

Doomwheel
[150]

[3000]

Thoughts?

·
Registered
442 Posts
you only need 1 caster now as that is the best option also you now don't get an option if you take spears you have 2 use them condense the units into less bigger blocks utalise the horde rule 2 as 3 ranks fighting at ridiculous initative is nasty take a cheftain with a sword of might and 1 with the plus 2 strrength and not sure on points but there is a potion of plus 3 strength 4 1 turn in all less casterts gd and you won't need tokens anything that gets you extra dice is a bonus 2

·
Registered
442 Posts
basically onlyt take thye 1 caster now and then lots of cheap fighting characters also any items that give you plus to cast or extra dice to the pool are awesome

·
Registered
135 Posts
The common magic items are insane. they have all this crazy stuff. and they should stay the same (50 for heroes 100 for lords) considering that they have some that are 100 points. but they have all these different kewl trinkets you wouldnt believe.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts