Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
REVISED LIST ON PAGE 2

Hey everyone,

So I came into some Lizzy models and it ends up being significantly cheaper to build them up rather than buy an entirely new range (Duh) and I do like Lizzies so no harm. However, I am really quite inexperienced with them. I would like a competitive list, and it needs to contain some decent magic. I'll post what I've come up with and why, but I would really like suggestions from the community. I don't have my book on me so I don't really know the names of a lot of the stuff and the numbers might be slightly off but the core of it is there.

Thanks,

Lord:
Slann - Redirect miscast on 2+, 2+ ward save vs. missiles,
Disciplines: Remove enemy wizards 6's, know all the spells from 1 lore, add an additional power dice to each casting.

Hero:
Skink Priest - Ancient stegadon (EOTG), +1 additional spell

Scar Saurus Vet - BSB, I10 sword, glittering armour (-1 to be hit), shield, cold one

Core:
20 Saurus Warriors - Full Command (HW/S)

27 skinks /w 3 Kroxigors - Full Command

10 Skinks /w blowguns
10 Skinks /w blowguns
10 Skinks /w blowguns

Special:
Stegadon

10 chameleon skinks
10 chameleon Skinks
10 chameleon Skinks

Salamander /w additional skink
Salamander /w additional skink

Slann flies around with lore of life buffing/healing units. I should be ok with the 2+ ward however I'm wondering if I should include a unit of Temple Guard for him?

Saurus Vet can join one of the Saurus units.

The chameleon skinks are there to hopefully take out a good chunk of warmachine crew with the new rules for how warmachines take damage.

Stegadons are just too cool to pass up and now with thunderstomp makes them even better!

Skinks with blowguns still seem pretty good, even with the change to skirmishers. I'll just use them to bait and flee.

The skinks with the Kroxigors just seems like a cool unit.

Salamanders are the bane of Rank and File troops! As a side note, does anyone have any ideas for a plastic replacement? I might just use a toy dinosaur or some sort.

Saurus warriors are as solid as ever, although I might consider dropping one for a unit of temple guard.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't believe that your Slann knowing 2 extra spells is worth 50pts, surely there is something better you can do with it? Also if you go for lore of Life then the cupped hands are not worth it, look at the Equipping your Slann for 8th thread, the flying Slaan of Life is really good :) Do feel free to ignore all advice as I don't actually play Lizzies, I just kill them... lots :p

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't believe that your Slann knowing 2 extra spells is worth 50pts, surely there is something better you can do with it? Also if you go for lore of Life then the cupped hands are not worth it, look at the Equipping your Slann for 8th thread, the flying Slaan of Life is really good :) Do feel free to ignore all advice as I don't actually play Lizzies, I just kill them... lots :p
Hahaha,

Thanks for the advice! My only reasoning for knowing the extra spells is that on a good winds of magic roll, the slann can reasonably cast every spell.

I was debating dropping cupped hands... Might be worth it. Do dwarven rune-smiths count as wizards?

I do like the flying Slaan, I may still also include a unit of temple guard, just to have options once I see my opponents army. Lots of warmachines means it might be wise to use him to bait cannons and such.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I do play Lizardmen. The list looks good to me. I would add another Salamander and maybe a unit Terradons. The chameleons are a good strategy, but I wonder if you will have trouble putting them on the board (with 30). I love the chameleon (these are why I play Lizardmen).

I think I would drop 10 chameleons, take a unit of Terradons. Terradons get the Vanguard rule and they get a stomp attack. They also drop rocks (not on a turn that they charge though). Between the chameleons and the Terradons, I think you're opponent will not be able to focus on the EOTG as much.

If you take the Focus of Mystery (know all spells), only take it if you want to gaurantee that you get the spell you want. Another option would be to take the plaque of tepok (generate an additional spell) which would give you 5 spells from your chosen lore.

If you take Lore of Life, Cupped hands is kind of unnecessary (unless you want the enemy to take the miscast--which is apealing too).

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do play Lizardmen. The list looks good to me. I would add another Salamander and maybe a unit Terradons. The chameleons are a good strategy, but I wonder if you will have trouble putting them on the board (with 30). I love the chameleon (these are why I play Lizardmen).

I think I would drop 10 chameleons, take a unit of Terradons. Terradons get the Vanguard rule and they get a stomp attack. They also drop rocks (not on a turn that they charge though). Between the chameleons and the Terradons, I think you're opponent will not be able to focus on the EOTG as much.

If you take the Focus of Mystery (know all spells), only take it if you want to gaurantee that you get the spell you want. Another option would be to take the plaque of tepok (generate an additional spell) which would give you 5 spells from your chosen lore.

If you take Lore of Life, Cupped hands is kind of unnecessary (unless you want the enemy to take the miscast--which is apealing too).
Thanks for the advice, have some rep!

I'll take a look at the terradons, part of the reason I chose certain units is how they look as well. However, I think they might be useful with that vanguard special rule. I could drop 10 chameleons.

Focus of Mystery is there to basically guarantee all the spells for me. Each one is so useful. I love T4, 2d6 str 4 hits at the end of the magic phase, regrowing units, and dweller below - the regen isn't awful either. It's such a useful lore. I know the spell I don't get will be the one I'm reaching for when the time comes.

I'll probably drop cupped hands as well. I chose it basically because of my luck when rolling a 2+. I figured I can't roll snake eyes every time.

What would you think of dropping the kroxigor unit for temple guard?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just want to point out that a Slaan that has the discipline giving him the lore master ability actually gives him three extra spells. The discipline says the Slaan knows all the spells in a lore, which would include the signature spell.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Iceman you are right, I'm still getting used to new magic. As for the plastic Salamanders, I have seen someone convert with Cold Ones to give them big flame sack things, of course they're not salamanders but my friend made them look cool and fire breathing Cold Ones do exsist apartently so he uses Salamander rules for them. You can have some fun with them aswell to make them look very nice.

If you're going to drop Cupped Hands then you do need to make sure you're getting Throne of Vines for the non-miscast thingy. Every cannon and bolt thrower the enemy has will not be going at the Slaan if he has a 2++ against shooting, but they will be targeting your Scar Vet as he only has a 4+ Look out, you're ABS really needs the 2+ so I would drop the Cold One. If you're having a manoeuvrable flying Slaan there's no need to waste 80 extra points on Temple Guard.

Also Runesmiths are not mages,the only reason you have them now anyway is to be scroll caddies, as Dwarfs and Daemons are the only 2 armies that can do it now.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The list looks very solid for a first attempt and has all the basic principles of a good lizzie list, its just the extra bits that need a bit of work.

Up your saurus units to 24, go 6 wide and 4 deep. Gives you 3 extra attacks in combat

check out the tactics forum, i have threads up about equipping your slann and your heroes for lizardmen. see what you think. i think your hero choices are good, but i would always run with a minimum of 2 scar vets in a list. also invest in a BSB

drop the mixed skink/krox unit. If you wana run krox, just run krox. The skinks just give the opponent a free win in combat, because those little dudes die in DROVES!! i would also drop a unit of skirmishers, 2 is ideal unless you go above 2500pts. Again, they are easy targets for VPs

if you are running a steg go Ancient or go home. The Regadon has lost its place in my heart and this saddens me, but the Ancient is superior in every way and the increased S benefits all round. ALthough if you are running an EoTG then i would just drop the steg

i agree with Arli, the Chamelions are great and have a place in any lizzie army but 30 is too many. one unit is enough, 2 if you face a LOT of warmachines

take 2 units of 2 salamanders and also a unit or two of razordons. People look down on them because of the boost the sals got but getting a stand and shoot reaction on 2 artillery dice (a possible 20 shots!!) with no penalty to hit is insanely good and will deter the usual skirmisher-hunting units. plus move and shoot gives them an 18" threat range

im going to be posting up more lizardmen tactics and thoughts in the tactics section over the coming days, keep an eye out and give your opinions or see if you agree with my thoughts

·
Registered
312 Posts
What would you think of dropping the kroxigor unit for temple guard?

If you are taking the lore of Life, They will serve the purpose of protecting the slann well. You will be able to regrow the unit so it makes them more useful.

As for dropping the Kroxigors, a unit of skink cohorts is cheap to begin with. They do die in droves. The Krox gives the unit some toughness and they can still get their 3 attacks for supporting the skinks in front of them. There could be something said for taking just Kroxigors as well. A unit of 6 of these monstrous infantry will get 18 attacks at str 6 (striking last) plus a stomp from the three in front. Not to mention that they cancel ranks over 3. Their fast movement alone make them ideal for flanking manuevers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think Arli is right, your Slaan could easily make your skinks T6, but you may need to extra T spell for a Sarus unit that's up against great weapons. Either way skinks have gotten me so many CR over the years it's ridiculous, so go for the just Kroxigors unit if you want them in, otherwise the unit will break easily.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
i'd look at adding in terradons as well as dropping rocks on lone characters, skirmishers and fast cav is very good

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Revision #1

Revisions! Points are probably not exactly 3000 but close.

Lord:
Slann - BSB (-1 to be shot at, -2 when in close)
Disciplines: Remove enemy wizards 6's, know all the spells from 1 lore, add an additional power dice to each casting.

As of now, I don't see how you can take the magic carpet as well as the 2+ ward vs ranged as they are both enchanted items. I play a lot of dwarfs with their magical warmachines soa 4+ just ain't gonna cut it. Into the temple guard you go.

Hero:
Skink Priest - Ancient stegadon (EOTG), dispel scroll

No more +1 spell, I'll take whatever he gets as its more for the EOTG and channeling. The slann will do the casting. Added scroll

Scar Saurus Vet - I10 sword, glittering armour (-1 to be hit), enchanted shield, (Goes with temple guard)

2+ save, usually striking first, and usually hit on 5s (4s versus high WS characters)

Scar Saurus Vet - Fencers blades, leather armour, shield, dragonshelm

2+ save, WS10, +1 attack (Goes with a unit of warriors)

Core:
24 Saurus Warriors - Full Command (HW/S)

10 Skinks /w blowguns
10 Skinks /w blowguns

Special:
10 chameleon Skinks
10 chameleon Skinks

14 Temple Guard - Full Command - Banner causes fear

Rare:
Ancient Stegadon

2 Salamander unit
2 Salamander unit

·
Registered
442 Posts
diadem of power somwhere drop the engine for preist 0with plaque of tepok and i find a old blood with glittering armour aura of quetzl i10 sword and dragon helm is funny or enchanted sheild and razordons i find are much better than salamanders

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
diadem of power somwhere drop the engine for preist 0with plaque of tepok and i find a old blood with glittering armour aura of quetzl i10 sword and dragon helm is funny or enchanted sheild and razordons i find are much better than salamanders
I appreciate the help cheese meister but it would be a lot easier to understand what you are saying if you put a little more time in punctuation/grammar. No offense meant.

I'll take a look at diadem of power as I'm not sure what it does.

I'm toying with the idea of dropping the 2 scar vets for a tooled up old blood for the temple guard - something along the lines of Fencing Blade (WS10, +1 attack), enchanted shield, glittering armour (-1 to be hit in CC), dragonshelm (+1 armour, 2++ vs flaming), and amulet of preservation (4+ ward). Making him very hard to kill and having a decent number of attacks.

Not dropping EotG, sorry, personal choice there - same with the ancient stegadon. They're both staying in the list regardless.

I'll take a look at razordons, I've been hearing too many good things about salamanders though.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'll take a look at diadem of power as I'm not sure what it does.

It allows you to store 2 power dice from your power pool and use them as dispel dice in the next turn. Nice, but with the extra free power dice you get (plus the low casting levels of Lore of Life spells) those 2 dice could let your slann get another spell off. I would leave it back in the temple

I'm toying with the idea of dropping the 2 scar vets for a tooled up old blood for the temple guard - something along the lines of Fencing Blade (WS10, +1 attack), enchanted shield, glittering armour (-1 to be hit in CC), dragonshelm (+1 armour, 2++ vs flaming), and amulet of preservation (4+ ward). Making him very hard to kill and having a decent number of attacks.

I replied to your set-up in the Heroes tactica, so wont bother repeating it here

Not dropping EotG, sorry, personal choice there - same with the ancient stegadon. They're both staying in the list regardless.

Fair play. They both have their uses and can certainly do damage, plus will take cannonballs and magic away from your Slann, which is always a good thing. Only thing i would suggest is get your priest a ward save- he can be targetted in CC and a 2+ save is stil easy to bypass thanks to the proliferation of "ignore armour saves" weapons and abilities out there. Plus cannonballs will hit both him AND the steg, and he cant take the D6 wounds well

I'll take a look at razordons, I've been hearing too many good things about salamanders though.
Dont be fooled into thinking salamanders are the be-all and end-all. The template is nice against big units, but what will you do against skirmishers, fast cav or flyers? or against MSU armies? the sal will possibly only kill 1 or 2 guys, whereas the razors will wipe them from existence. Plus razors can stand and shoot, making them great flank guards
Hope this helps. Ill try and get the core choices tactica written tonight, and then ill get into the funs stuff and building the army by the weekend :victory:

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Revision 2

Hope this helps. Ill try and get the core choices tactica written tonight, and then ill get into the funs stuff and building the army by the weekend :victory:
Thanks for the help. I went home and worked out exact points and tweaked a few things.

Revision 2!

Lord:
Slann - BSB (-1 to be shot at)

Hero:
Skink Priest - Ancient stegadon (EOTG), Amulet of protection (4+ ward)

Scar Saurus Vet - Gold Sigil Sword (I10), glittering armour (-1 to be hit), dragonshelm, shield (Goes with temple guard)

I'll need to see how the lack of a ward save (unless flaming) affects him.

Core:

10 Skinks /w blowguns
10 Skinks /w blowguns
10 Skinks /w blowguns

Special:
10 chameleon Skinks
10 chameleon Skinks

19 Temple Guard - Full Command - Banner (FEAR)

Rare:
Ancient Stegadon

2 Salamander unit
2 Razordon unit

Alternative I could drop 1 unit of skinks, 1 unit of chameleon skins, and 6 temple guard to fit in another unit of saurus warriors. I don't think its worth it though as the skinks are my main means of dealing with MSU and warmachines.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Remember that if your Slaan is in a unit and that unit flees your Slaan will die as he has the BSB.

Very true - however the actual % chance of that happening is approx. 0.08% Given Ld 9, Stubborn, Cold Blooded, and rerolls due to the BSB. I'm willing to chance it.

My maths probably off but its close to something like that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'd suggest finding a way to give your Slaan Cupped Hands of the Old Ones. Being able to ignore the inevitable miscast is golden, and making an enemy wizard take it is just icing.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd suggest finding a way to give your Slaan Cupped Hands of the Old Ones. Being able to ignore the inevitable miscast is golden, and making an enemy wizard take it is just icing.
I had it on there originally but with the 2+ to ignore miscasts from the Lore of Life I dropped it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts