Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gunlines are back in big style, so it seems.

Anyway, I came up with a potential army today - best news is, is that it's pretty much all plastic, except for 1 model.

Anyway, I have just got the book, so if I've missed anything major, I'd appreciate the help.

Lords = 25%
Georg Pawer, Gold Wizard Lord (Level 4, Lore of Metal) = 210pts
Otto Boeddicker, Celestial Wizard Lord (Level 4, Lore of Heavens, Grey Wand, Ring of Volans) = 270pts
Ludwig Flammenberg, Amethyst Wizard Lord (Level 4, Lore of Death, Aldred's Casket of Sorcery) = 245pts​

Heroes = 4.5%
Carl Kahlert, Captain (Battle Standard Bearer, Full Plate Armour, Shield, Handgun, Dragonhelm, Orb of Thunder) = 135pts​

Core
1st Nuln Regiment Handguns, 1st Company (10 Handgunners, 2 units of 5 Handgunners as Detachment) = 160pts

1st Nuln Regiment Handguns, 2nd Company (10 Handgunners, 2 units of 5 Handgunners as Detachment) = 160pts

1st Nuln Regiment Handguns, 3rd Company (10 Handgunners, 2 units of 5 Handgunners as Detachment) = 160pts

1st Nuln Regiment Crossbows, 1st Company (10 Crossbowmen, 2 units of 5 Crossbows as Detachment) = 160pts

1st Nuln Regiment Crossbows, 2nd Company (10 Crossbowmen, 2 units of 5 Crossbows as Detachment) = 160pts

1st Nuln Regiment Crossbows, 3rd Company (10 Crossbowmen, 2 units of 5 Crossbows as Detachment) = 160pts​

Special = 20%
1st Nuln Artillery Regiment, 1st Company, 1st Field Gun (1 Great Cannon = 100pts)

1st Nuln Artillery Regiment, 1st Company, 2nd Field Gun (1 Great Cannon = 100pts)

1st Nuln Artillery Regiment, 1st Company, 3rd Field Gun (1 Great Cannon = 100pts)

1st Nuln Artillery Regiment, 1st Company, 4th Field Gun (1 Mortar = 75pts)

1st Nuln Artillery Regiment, 1st Company, 5th Field Gun (1 Mortar = 75pts)

1st Nuln Artillery Regiment, 1st Company, 6th Field Gun (1 Mortar = 75pts)

1st Nuln Artillery Regiment, 1st Company, 7th Field Gun (1 Mortar = 75pts)​

Rare = 15.4%
1st Nuln Experimental Weaponry Regiment, 1st Battery (1 Helstorm Rocket Battery = 115pts)

1st Nuln Experimental Weaponry Regiment, 2nd Battery (1 Helstorm Rocket Battery = 115pts)

1st Nuln Experimental Weaponry Regiment, 3rd Battery (1 Helstorm Rocket Battery = 115pts)

1st Nuln Experimental Weaponry Regiment, 4th Battery (1 Helstorm Rocket Battery = 115pts)​

= 3000pts

So, basically - the Celestial Wizard sits in the middle of the gunline, surrounded by the Handgunners and crossbow units, all of them closely packed to give the greatest field of firepower. I then hopefully trigger "Harmonic Convergence", allowing all units inside 12" radius to reroll missed to hit and to wound rolls of 1.

The Gold Wizard backs this is up by sitting near to a unit of Crossbows (suitably out on a flank) where I can use the longer range to hopefully be scoring hits on a 3+ rather than a 4+, and still keep Armour Piercing.

The Death Wizard meanwhile attempts to boost my magic pool by using Caress of Laniph and Spirit Leech, and when the enemy moves into short range, hopefully use Soulblight to make the Ranged damage hit home even more so. It's also my primary counter wizard unit (except for cannon sniping), in that I can steal spells and cast it against it. I had good fun when learning today, where I stole the Staff's Lord of Tzeentch's infernal gateway with the casket of sorcery, when I proceeded to roll 11 for the Strength on his Chosen of Khorne 700pt unit.

The BSB just sits pretty as well - using the BSB to keep the units there against badboys. To keep nasty little flyers like the usual counter war machines, ranging from Dragons to Warhawk Riders and Great Eagles, I just use the Orb of Thunder. With a 2+ Armour Save, increasing to 1+ in combat, he should be able to hold his own against any light flyer, skirmishing/scout, or fast cavalry unit.

As for the Heavy Support, well that's just simple. Lore of Metal+Cannons takes on Heavy Cavalry (Searing Doom in range of Harmonic Convergence = 3-7 kills on average). Cannons, Metal and Death take on monsters. Heavens takes on Flyers (D6 S6+D6 S4 hits is quite a good way to take out Exalted Hero's of Tzeentch on Discs) and Hordes (along with the Mortars and Helstorms).

Question - am I doing the right thing though by having 2 units of 5 detachments for each main unit, or is it better to have 6 units of 10 for both Handgunners and Crossbowmen?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
What I've found in the new edition is that long rifles have an important role to play in an Empire army and with as much artillery as you've taken an engineer or 2 could save you a lot of pain.
Long rifles enmass can kill of enemy wizards fairly quickly as well as taking out some of the stranger threats to your list like skaven weapon teams and small fast units which would cause havoc in your small units.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts