Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lord:
Arch Lector of Sigmar
Heavy Armor, Enchanted Shield, Biting Blade, Van Horstmann's Speculum, War Altar
[281]

Wizard Lord [Halberdiers]
Level 4, Rod of Power, Shroud of Magnus
Lore of Life
[290]

Hero:
Captain of the Empire [Halberdiers]
Battle Standard Bearer, Full Plate Armor, Holy Relic
[123]

Warrior Priest of Sigmar [Great Swords]
Great Weapon, Dawnstone, Armor of Meteoric Iron
[144]

Master Engineer
[65]

Master Engineer
[65]

Core:
(45) Halberdiers [5x9]
Full Command
[245]

(15) Swordsmen Detachment [5x3]
[90]

(45) Halberdiers [5x9]
Full Command
[245]

(15) Swordsmen Detachment [5x3]
[90]

(10) Knights [5x2]
Great Weapons, Full Command
[270]

Special:
Mortar
[75]

Mortar
[75]

Mortar
[75]

Great Cannon
[100]

Great Cannon
[100]

Great Cannon
[100]

(30) Great Swords [10x3]
Full Command
[330]

Rare:
Helstorm Rocket Battery
[115]

Helstorm Rocket Battery
[115]

[2994]

Thoughts?

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Well my first thought was something along the line of "you bastard"... but then I remembered this was an 'Ard Boyz list :p

Well, I tell a lie actually the first thought was the assumption that there would be a big block of greatswords as soon as I saw the Lv4 had life. I know a lot of people, especially at my FLGS love the lore of life, but Im just not that big a fan. Hell, a ran a small young blood tourny last weekend and the biggest shoch of the day was that the most devastating magic used was a slaan with the lore of light (but read the spells and you can see why), especially surprising since he didnt fight against a demon/undead army. I'ld have a look at light instead. WS10 I10 is nothing to laugh at on halberdiers, but give that and -1 to hit to greatswords and you're laughing (most enemies would be hitting on a 6) and if you could give them ASF too you even get to use the I10.
Since undead and especially ethereal armies would be giving you a lot of trouble its not a bad counter to that as well.

Other then that I think you really need to find a few hundred extra points... but I cant see where to take them from. Ideally I would try to get another rank of knights (send them up a flank and very little can beat them- and they'll stop a block unit for a long time, even if they dont beat it), another 5 or so greatswords (just to keep you at/near 30 attacks after you get attacked- I always have a few useless people in a unit if I know I'm going to be attacking last) and a unit of crossbowmen. But its only really the crossbows I think of as vital, and that is for 2 different reasons: they'll give some long range firepower able to take out unit remnants (eg is a hellstorm smashes a unit but leaves 1-2 guys alive, or if they break from combat and espcape- you have nothing fast or cheap that can go and hunt them down... and since you get no VP unitil a unit is dead that could be pretty important). The second reason is to get the BSB out of the frontline and give him somewhere safe to hide (unless the holy relic does something important there- I cant find it and have no idea what it does). BSBs are vital, especailly for your army- having lots of big blocks of steadfast halberdiers who are likely to lose a lot of rounds of combat (not necessarily the fight though) means that reroll will be worth its weight in gold. If I was playing against you killing the BSB would be more of a target then any other characters (probably all other characters).

About the best place to get extra points would be characters... but althogh I dont like the sum total of their parts I think they are all great, and the more I think about them the more I like them, except for the wizards equipment. The shroud is like an auto-fail item: if you get to use it then you've just sacrificed a 300pt character and all your magical defense (he should simply never be in a combat- like the BSB I would try to hide him in a secondary unit) and the rod of power requires you to have dice left at the end of a phase... and I doubt you ever will. You'll be wanting to cast with more dice then you can ever get, and with a maximum of 7 DD unless the opponent brings no magic at all (very doubtful at 3k, except for dwarves) then you'll usually use it (and saving some DD at a cost to yourself only to roll a 12 for PD and waste them all would be very annoying)... although I guess its worth saving a couple of dice rather then throwing them at a massively powered up spell just hoping for a double 6.

I guess that I would probably cut the knights or a cannon and the wizards equipment for a couple of units of crossbowmen- one each for the wizard and BSB, although if nothing else I would cut the wizard's shroud and a few halberdiers to fit in some free company just for a BSB bunker.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Holy Relic is a 4+ Ward Save. So, he has a 4+/4+, which is pretty good. The Shroud is auto-win, imo. 5+ ward sucks, but he won't be using that in most cased over his LoS! roll. What is does offer is a 3+ Ward against Magic that targets him and a 5+ Ward Save for the unit vs. Magical attacks. The Rod should be useful, too. I can bank 3 dice between any phase, which is awesome when I get +3DD from my AL and WP. This helps me take charge of Magic phases. However, the one time it seemed to always work was against Teclis High Elves. Bleh.

Are you really sold on Archers that much? Why not Handgunners? From what I have seen recently, BS-based shooting is just terrible.

Also, I will weigh out Lore of Light. Shadow, Beasts, Life, and Light are all on my test list. Too many good options is a good problem to have, though!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Also, I will weigh out Lore of Light. Shadow, Beasts, Life, and Light are all on my test list. Too many good options is a good problem to have, though!
First off, holy shit, all the warmachines, and now, to the meat of stuff I actually know about. What you're looking at here with the Lores is what supports the rest of your army? Life is out, as you don't have a lot of multi-wound models, and already killy but fragile guys to make tougher. Beasts is really for crazy characters, from what I can see, though there are a few other things that I haven't tried out. So that leaves Shadow and Light. One focuses on making the enemy worse, the other focuses on making your guys better. I'd say with empire, you want to get your guys better, so take Light. Feel free to try out the other lores though, perhaps you'll find combos that you like!

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Are you really sold on Archers that much? Why not Handgunners? From what I have seen recently, BS-based shooting is just terrible.
Not archers, they such pretty bad. Crossbows are pretty good, handgunners are better... but for the role I suggested the extra range of the crossbows is more useful then the AP. Handgunners are good (as good as they always were) at hitting soft block units such as elves and laughing as they all die, crossbows have the range to hit second line units and flankers. Either trying to kill a soft bu annoying unit (such as some flanking hounds/fast cav or a BSB bunker of ~10 weak core troops) but they can also deal with any unit that has not quite died and reels from the fight to save points.
The most annoying thing I have seen in 8th (luckily wasnt playing) was a friend killing 28/30 warriors who broke but managed to rally while still on the board (insane courage)... meaning that none of the victory points were given away from his ~500pt unit (well ok, 25pts for the banner).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts