Great Cannon
[100]

Rare:
Steam Tank
[300]

Steam Tank
[300]

[2998]

So, out of a financial dilemma, I am trying to get the cheapest army for Fantasy that I like (only a handful of options) in time for 'Ard Boyz. I am fond of WoC, but hate the Marauders. I love Skaven, but the price is high and with Island of Blood due out, I will just wait for them so I can get it cheaper. So, that leaves me with Empire. So, I threw this together with the Armybook in hand and hope it is legal and viable. Any and all help is much, much needed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
ive never been a fan of the hammer of judgment :? or a griffon for that matter :/ its just a big target symbol :/ i would recomend having him on foot, or if you are dead cert on having him on a griffon then i would give him a lance instead or another such weapon for extra str/attacks. i like the build of your arch lector, its a good combination :), but i have never found the war alter affective, preety much alll of the lector's new abillities vanish as soon as it is destroyed :/ in my opinion another large target symbol, since this is new edition i would recomend 4 mortars instead of 4 cannons, great at taking out those blocks of infantry that will be now so common :) large template and -1 armour save, yes please :D also since you have a general perhaps give a magic standard to one of your halberdier units??? i would recomend the new magic standard that gives you armour piercing for that lovly -2 armour save modifier :D steam tanks are great but because of them you are very short on infantry in my opinion (although i could just be used to seeing 200 infantry on the board from my empire :D if you decide to do some moving about i would recoemnd a unit of greatswords :) stubborn, one of the only units to not suffer for their armour, full plate no shield armour loss :) and great weapons :) i hope this helps :)

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, alternative list - sans STanks.

Lord:
Geneal of the Empire
Armour of Destiny, Hammer of Judgement, Seeds of Rebirth, Griffon
[365]

Arch Lector of Sigmar
Armour of Meteoric Iron, Van Horstmann's Speculum, Great Weapon
War Altar
[286]

Hero:
Captain of the Empire
BSB, Full Plate, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Sigismund
[133]

Battle Wizard
Level 2, Rod of Power
[130]

Battle Wizard
Level 2, Dispel Scroll
[125]

Warrior Priest of Sigmar
Heavy Armor, Shield, Berserker Sword, Talisman of Endurance
[141]

Core:
(38) Spearmen (Horde)
Full Command
[210]

(19) Halberdiers (Detachment)
[95]

(10) Handgunners (Detachment)
[80]

(38) Spearmen (Horde)
Full Command
[210]

(19) Halberdiers (Detachment)
[95]

(10) Handgunners (Detachment)
[80]

(19) Halberdiers (Greatswords Detachment)
[95]

(10) Handgunners (Greatswords Detachment)
[80]

Special:
Mortar
[75]

Mortar
[75]

Mortar
[75]

Mortar
[75]

(20) Greatswords
Full Command
[230]

Rare:
Helstorm Rocket Battery
[115]

Helstorm Rocket Battery
[115]

Helstorm Rocket Battery
[115]

[3000]

208 total models on the table!

The trio Battery and quad Mortars just pour down fire, hopefully wrecking those big infantry blocks expected in 8th Ed, while the Greatswords sit in the middle and anchor the line. The Spearmen are meant to get charged, offering up a lot of ranks of spears and letting the Halberdiers stick into the flanks. If they go after the Halberdiers, they will get a heaping helping of spears in the side, or if they go after the Handgunners, they can stand-and-shoot and tangle while the Spearmen hit the flanks. The General and AL are counter-assault units. The Wizards can sit back and sling spells, while the Captain helps with fun BSB re-rolls and the Priest bolsters the other unit.

·
Registered
442 Posts
if you want cheap empire are not it that army there will cost you around 250 quid just a rough look maybe slightly cheaper but ogres and warriors of chaos are the cheap way forward don't like marauders don't take them

·
Registered
93 Posts
this list is much much better :D im glad you liked teh advice :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
understandable :/ but now you get to shoot fireworks at people :D

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if you want cheap empire are not it that army there will cost you around 250 quid just a rough look maybe slightly cheaper but ogres and warriors of chaos are the cheap way forward don't like marauders don't take them
I lol'd when I saw "quid". Yea, Ogres are cheaper, but ugly as sin. The Marauders are ugly and the list I want to run has 160 of them, so its hard to avoid. If the Empire list strikes my fancy, by having a lot of fun, nice models to paint and use, I will do it. I am digging the Steam Tanks and all the characters - especially the General on the Griffon! Still, I am weighing my options.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
understandable :/ but now you get to shoot fireworks at people :D
Yea, but Steam Tanks are just so awesome! I am thinking Averland, for colors. That would be so sweet to see a pair of those rolling onto the field.

Man, I am such a treadhead! First Imperial Guard, now this! I can't get enough tanks, obviously!

·
Registered
93 Posts
obviously :D

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
REVISED!!! Possibly final...

Lord:
General of the Empire
Griffon, Armor of Destiny, Shield, Sword of Sigismund
[373]

Arch Lector of Sigmar
Enchanted Shield, Van Horstmann's Speculum, Sword of Might
War Altar
[275]

Hero:
Captain of the Empire
Battle Standard Bearer, Armor of Meteoric Iron, Hammer of Judgement
[125]

Battle Wizard
Level 2, Lore of Light, Rod of Power
[130]

Battle Wizard
Level 2, Lore of Heavens, Dispel Scroll
[125]

Warrior Priest
Shield, Armor of Fortune, Biting Blade
[137]

Core:
(38) Spearmen
Full Command
[210]

(19) Halberdier Detachment
[95]

(10) Handgunners Detachment
[80]

(38) Spearmen
Full Command
[210]

(19) Halberdier Detachment
[95]

(10) Halberdier Detachment (Greatswords)
[50]

(10) Halberdier Detachment (Greatswords)
[50]

Special:
Great Cannon
[100]

Great Cannon
[100]

Mortar
[75]

Mortar
[75]

(20) Greatswords
Full Command
[230]

Rare:
Steam Tank
[300]

Steam Tank
[300]

[2998]

Does that look suitable? Hard to gauge without just testing it, but I am on a budget, so I want to buy the right stuff. Are Steam Tanks going to be useful? I think they anchor the list nicely, with the Greatswords anchoring the center.

Thoughts?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts