Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Heresy readers!

hey im Nick from Fareham south UK, I got back into GW gaming after a 10 year Break with work/life i decided to get it going with a fully loaded gaming board project. 2 parts 3x4 foot - 1 part 2x4 foot wtih 2 sides the same so i can spin and swap ends for some variation and play skirmishes on a 3x4 and go upto 8x4 for all out mayhem. my aim isnt for vehicle mobility at all, so lots of cover, buildings, elervation and my fav sneaky places for scouts and kommandos! im aiming to get a warhouse, 2 bunkers, supply dump and a large ruined imperial cathedral on a 3x4 piece.

All feedback is most wanted as all your heads are better then my 1. I hope to get more pics will be up as i build.

Im new to the heresy site and still looking through the threads and im very impressed how the hobby/games have progressed over the years and like to say thank you for the inspiration to take on my own projects.

Im also looking for 40k/necromunda gamers in my area.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Really like the castle (top left) nice work, look forward to seeing some painted and completed stuff, are you going to project log your work?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies, ill get some more pics up soon. As for the foam its actully 50mm i am cutting it thinner the best i can, its the smallest i can find. i am in the process of trying to make a large foam cutter. heres the link im going off but i want 12 inches clearance at least so i can run it along a guide to cut it down better.

http://www.spacemodeling.org/new/how_to/Foam_Cutter.htm#top

i have almost finished making rubber molds for tiles, bricks, barrels and crates so i can make LOADS! well i hope to as long as i am useing the latex liquid rubber right.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi El Mariachi, sure we can set up a game sometime. i will be logging this as i go and try to keep it updated best i can. thanks again for the replies.
Had a good look at the pics tonight (only had a brief look last night as I was occupied with several things) but I've got to say, looks great. +rep! Always wanted to do a cityboard like that but time constraints have meant I've had to go for something a bit easier on time, namely a jungle board (pre-made terrain from pets at home for the most part :grin:). I'm really looking forward to the finished thing, it already looks quite inspiring!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, been a while had a busy few weeks.

Quick update on my project.

I wanted to start the plastering the boards and adding my craters but i was worried it would crack so i went ahead and added some 2x4 to the under side for strength and to remove any flexing in the boards.

I also made some rubber molds of tiles i made on a bit of foamboard and Barrels etc to see how they come out, the molds seem fine its getting the plaster in without air bubbles so something i need to play about with more and look into it.

Another ruined building on there and a template i cut from thin card with some different shape windows, went for a smooth wall look this time.

A bunker there aswell was fun to chop up. its sunk into the ground so should finish up nicely once the surroundings are in, went for the wide piller box style, roofs can come off also.

The larger pic with the boards is how they sit together, the third piece will be like the middle. all 3 will connect to 2 sides of the other 2 so im hoping its enough variation.

I almost have the parts to build my foam cutter so im hoping to show you guys that aswell if i succeed of course, so far its cost me less then £20.

Thanks again for your interest, comments are most welcome.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok this is the Cathedral Peice on the way. Took some time getting the Walls windows and outer parts done. I then had to chop it all up smooth it off and then card up the walls on the outside, then i got my wallpaper pattern for the floor to fit and stuck in the 2 Knight models i found with the same pose (No idea what or where i got them from) they are acting as statues of course and added some wooden structure bits in. Then i got my plaster which is crunched up dropped that in on top o some Pve/filla mix then added sand/gravel etc. i wanted to go more on the debri to account for the size of the building but this would take away the playing factor and be hardeer to move units around it.

Thats about as far as i am atm ,with it still more to cover and the out area of the main part to do.

Id really like some feedback on this, as i am still thinking of what to do on the areas outside and around the Cathedral. some ideas if you please. Leave it flat concreate for moving and added small terrain or build more builds into the board.

Thanks for reading more to come soon.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Wow that’s an epic board you have going on there. It reminds me of how I made mine (Laying pink Styrofoam on the table and craving into it). Maybe on the areas outside and around the Cathedral you could flock it with grass, (dessert, snow, etc… whatever your theme is), and place some headstones around making a gothic graveyard. It would match well with the Cathedral, and the flock would be a welcome change to all the painting you are going to have to do. I will be following this thread! Good work so far - it looks amazing.

·
Boondock Shogun
2,023 Posts
Awesome work on the table bud! Damn fine job, I say! Can't wait to see it finished and painted!

Good luck and good gaming,

Nate

·
Registered
332 Posts
I had the pleasure of playing on the painted board last weekend for two very enjoyable games with Nick. Even though it's not 100% finished, the board looks superb and I'm really looking forward to seeing it with the finishing touches on there.

As for your stormboyz Nick, my whirlwind will happily dance the tango with them :) Having said that, you managed to krump it good towards the end!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Very very inspiring! This cathedral is impressive. All the little areas really add some depth and the stairs are a nice touch. Great attention to detail. Can't wait to see some painted pics,

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
the only suggestion id make would be to have broken glass near the windows / broken pieces still in part of the windows.

but thats an AWESOME cathedral you got there, +rep.

edit: perhaps some more close up pics - like these knights (i dont know where to look) i heard about.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts