Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, me n a mate have signed up for a 2v2 tournament which is 1000pts per person. I'm pushing Space Marines he's pushing Imperial guard, our lists are as follows;

HQ 100 pts
Librarian
Vortex of doom
Curse of the Machine spirit
Troops 410
Tactical Squad
Multimelta
Flamer
drop pod

Tactical Squad
Multimelta
Flamer
drop pod
Elites 490 pts
Sterngaurd
Special ammo
Melta x 2
combi melta x1
drop pod

Sterngaurd
Special ammo
Melta x 2
combi melta x1
drop pod

Dreadnaught
Close combat weapon
stormbolter
multi-melta
Drop pod

ccs, 2x pcs, 6x 10 man infantry (2x pw), 2x comm (2xpw), 2 basilisk, 1x collossus siege morta
3x hwt lascanno

Total 2000

My role as Space marines is to be Anti tank and to keep my troops in reserve and use them in drop pods to land on any unclaimed objectives or to contest ones the opponent has claimed, my partners role as imperial guard is anti infantry and to basically sit at home holding our objective(s), The idea being, i arrive first turn with sternguard and dreadnaught to kill any tanks or transports or targets of opportunity that will disrupt our opponents ability to hit and move with any form of heavy support, my allies as imperial guard will be to destroy infantry that may be between me and enemy tanks or my targets as well as to thin their ranks for when my troops finally arrive
My question is this, how sound does our list appear, and given the opportunity what would or should be changed about it to improve on it's durability flexability, etc, etc. if anything?
We would also like to know how you would go about countering this list?

·
We fly for the Emperor!
201 Posts
Hello, me n a mate have signed up for a 2v2 tournament which is 1000pts per person. I'm pushing Space Marines he's pushing Imperial guard, our lists are as follows;
HQ 100 pts
Librarian
Vortex of doom
Curse of the Machine spirit
Librarian is a good choice of HQ. Vortex of Doom is a good and destructive skill, but you should not be that close to your opponent. I suggest you use Gates of Infinity/Null Zone. But if you want to fight armored vehicles, you can use the Curse of the Machine Spirit, although I think that Null Zone is far better.

Troops 410
Tactical Squad
Multimelta
Flamer
drop pod

Tactical Squad
Multimelta
Flamer
drop pod
If you want to have some 'edge' against tanks (like what you want in your tactic) you should give them ML, not MM. MM is too close to the enemy tanks. Use ML, or LC. And give them MG for some added melta.

Elites 490 pts
Sterngaurd
Special ammo
Melta x 2
combi melta x1
drop pod

Sterngaurd
Special ammo
Melta x 2
combi melta x1
drop pod
Sternguard is too expensive, and they are not a scoring units. Sternguard is good against monsters (because their Hellfire round will wound target on 2+ without calculating target's Toughness). Against Tanks that don't have toughness, I say you should scrap the Sternguards.

Dreadnaught
Close combat weapon
stormbolter
multi-melta
Drop pod
If you want this to be an anti-tank platform, you better use the TL LC.

ccs, 2x pcs, 6x 10 man infantry (2x pw), 2x comm (2xpw), 2 basilisk, 1x collossus siege mortar

3x hwt lascanno

Total 2000
I don't know much about IG, so I give it a no comment :wink:

My role as Space marines is to be Anti tank and to keep my troops in reserve and use them in drop pods to land on any unclaimed objectives or to contest ones the opponent has claimed, my partners role as imperial guard is anti infantry and to basically sit at home holding our objective(s), The idea being, i arrive first turn with sternguard and dreadnaught to kill any tanks or transports or targets of opportunity that will disrupt our opponents ability to hit and move with any form of heavy support, my allies as imperial guard will be to destroy infantry that may be between me and enemy tanks or my targets as well as to thin their ranks for when my troops finally arrive
My question is this, how sound does our list appear, and given the opportunity what would or should be changed about it to improve on it's durability flexability, etc, etc. if anything?
We would also like to know how you would go about countering this list?
I would say that your SM army lacks anti tank capability, the only tank capability you provide is 2 heavy weapons on your tacticals. You should include armored units such as Predators, Vindicators, or Land Speeder to give your troops some firepower and a lot more toughness. I assume your partner will bring some Chimeras for his troops. Although you plan to use your Tactical only as drop pod, I think some form of transports is needed also.

Here is my suggestion, I try to fulfill your role as anti-tank and denying enemy objectives (battlefield recon).

****HQ (100 points)****
Librarian (Gates of Infinity, Machine Curse)

****Troops (520 points)****
10 x Tactical Squad (7 x Boltgun, 1 x MG, 1 x ML, Drop Pod)
10 x Tactical Squad (7 x Boltgun, 1 x MG, 1 x ML, Rhino)
5 x Scout Squad (4 x Sniper Rifle, 1 x ML, Camo Cloak)

****Fast Attack (150 points)****
3 x Attack Bike (MM)

****Heavy Support (230 points)
1 x Vindicator
1 x Predator (TL LC)

The tactics are as follows :
- You use the Attack Bike as a fast troops to harass and destroy enemy armor. With their high movement speed and their AP they can easily dispatch enemy tanks, even tanks with AV 14. The attack bike should do hit and run attacks, and focus on enemy heavy armor or enemy transports.
- Use the Scout to Outflank, and to cap objectives that are near them. The scouts are used sparingly, and could not hold objectives without support. Use them to thin enemy infantry, and to screen your troops.
- Use the tacticals with the Drop Pod to secure objectives that is far from you. The same effect can be achieved too by the use of transports.
- Use the Librarian Gates of Infinity to avoid CC battles, and to set up your tacticals to a new position
- The Vindicators and Predators are your main tank-killing units, try to advance them carefully. Combat squad a 10-man squad, and use the Librarian and MG to advance, and the ML with Rhino to guard the objective.
- Vindicators are good against vehicles and infantries alike.
- This list is lacking on CC capabilities, so avoid close combat at all costs. IG suck on close combat too, so remain in range and shoot the enemy from afar.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm going to disagree with Thunderhawk in that Sternguard can be very good anti tank. Dropping them in next to a vehicle with the pods and then using the combi meltas works wonders. I would, however, suggest not giving them full up melta guns. Stick to the combi meltas instead so you can make use of the special ammo. Also, if you are intent on dropping them in, maybe find the points to give the SGT a PF so that if your combi meltas dont do the trick, you can get in close and wreck the vehicle with the fist.
Besides, if everything goes according to plan, once the vehicles are no longer a concern, the special ammo they have can help tackle a variety of situations, which is where the SG shine!
One concern I have is the Tac squads. If the heavy weapons drop in the pod, they cannot shoot which means you are losing a turn of fire from them. I do agree with Thunderhawk in that the tac squads would benefit more from MGs with what you have planned for your attack role.
Machine Curse is meh. Do you expect to fight alot of vehicles? Even then it is only a glancing hit. If you are intent on using Vortex, you need to have TDA so you can move and "shoot" it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I hate drop podding in, you cant shoot heavy weapons and only half your army comes in. You will end up being shot at by 2000pts of your enemy. Thats a lot of hurt.

I would be mechanized and supplement you IG allies gunline with some fast movers.

Something like this....

HQ
Libby w/avenger-100

TROOPS
10 man tac w/PW, CF, ML, FL, and las/plas razorback-270

10 man tac w/CF, PC, FL, and las/plas razorback-260

FAST ATTACK
Land speeder w/ MM and HF-70

Land speeder w/ MM and HF-70

HEAVY SUPPORT
Vindicator-115

Vindicator-115

You put your Libby with the decked out sgt and go take an objective. Your other Tac follows for support and to stay between the enemy and your libby squad. Both Tacs get combat-squaded and leaves the rocket in your deployment. The speeders zoom out and take care of the armor, and then go troop hunting with flamers. And if they are left at the end of the game you can dash and contest. The vindi's, well they just blow the crap out of everything!!!! :laugh:

(Im using this list in a singles 1000pt tourney next month)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts