Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have played a few games, but I am by no means a veteran of 40k. I drew up this list and I'm curious as to what you all think of it.

HQ

Chaos Lord - Nurgle, terminator armor, melta bombs, combi-plasma, Black Mace
Warpsmith - Khorne

Troops

Plague Marines (15) - x2 plasma, melta bombs, champ power fist, icon
Cultists (28) - no upgrades

Elites

Chosen (9) - Khorne, x2 power weapons, x2 paired lightning claws, champ power weapon, icon, flamer
Helbrute - Heavy flamer
Terminators (6) - Nurgle, x1 power fist, x4 combi-plasma, x1 combi-melta, x1 reaper autocanon

Heavy

Land Raider - no upgrades
Obliterators (3) - Nurgle

Total: 2006 pts.

So my idea is this. The terminator lord will go with the plague marines and work up the center. The land raider will carry the khorne chosen and warpsmith up the side and into his squishiest units. The obliterators are going to pound whatever large monsters he has. The Helbrute is going to support the marines as they march up the center. The cultists are just there to be pesky and tie stuff up. The terminators will fill the weakest part of my line and act as a threat response. I know that chosen aren't the most cost effective unit, but I really want to try them out. Without discussing too much the ineffectiveness of chosen, what do you all think of the list and strategy?

Thanks

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Well, as far as the Chosen go, I'll comment that each of them you buy so much as one power weapon for is a marine that costs more than a Terminator... and still dies just as easily as a Marine.

The largest, most glaring flaw I see? You have absolutely no way to counter your opponent's Flyrants. You have no AA to speak of, and if he's a good Nids player, he's probably going to have 2 Flyrants--possibly also another forge org for more, or Crones and Harpies. You have no way to contest his dominance on the AA side of things besides, say, snap-firing assault cannons on the Oblits.

I prefer to stick the Black Mace on Daemon Princes, since the DP as a monstrous creature has Smash, which gives all his attacks AP2--counteracting the AP4 that is the mace's glaring flaw.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice,

I switched my list to this (I don't have the paper in front of me so this is kind of a rough remembrance):

HQ

Chaos Lord - Nurgle, melta bombs, terminator, combi-plasma, gift of mutation
Deamon Prince - Tzeench, power armor, wings, burning brand template thing, gift of mutation

Troops

Plague Marines (15) - x2 plasma rifles, melta bombs
Cultists (28) - no upgrades

Elites

Terminator (6) - Nurgle, x2 combi-flamer, x1 power fist
Chosen (10) - Khorne, icon, x2 flamer, champ power weapon, gift of mutation - DEDICATE RHINO
Helbrute - Heavy flamer

Heavy Support

Havocs (10) - x2 lascanon, x2 missle launcher w/ flakk upgrade - DEDICATED RHINO
Obliterators (3) - Nurgle

I had never played Tyranids, so I can't remember what his guys are called, but he killed about half my army and I wiped his table. My deamon prince got into combat with his hive tyrant and killed him in CC. My chosen did pretty well and won two different combats. My gifts of mutation really paid off, though. My deamon prince got eternal warrior and my chosen champion got instant death for melee attacks (which allowed him to 1 hit kill a T6 W6 giant monster with a cannon on its back). Tyranids were fun, and the list worked pretty well. If I did it again though, i wouldn't give the havocs 4 heavy weapons because they couldnt move without having to snapshot. I would do 2 heavy and 2 that can move and shoot with no penalty in the rhino.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts