Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im a pretty new (traitor)guard player and my previous list has been having trouble dealing with my friends ork horde. He generally uses huge numbers of regular orks and usually 3 battlewagons along with a number of special units. He uses pretty straitforward tactics of charging across the battlefield using cover and large squads of boys to get his more important units into combat. I designed this list to quickly deal with his battlewagons and thin out the large squads of boyz, as well as staying mobile and attacking from behind using Al'rahem and deepstriking units. Hopefully this will keep his units divided and help keep my units out of combat.

Here it is, Tell me what you think.

HQ

CCS--------------------------------------------195
-Power weapon
-Vox caster
-Autocannon
-Plasma gun
-Astropath
-MOO
-Chimera w/ML HF

ELITES

Guardsmen Marbo-----------------------------65

Storm troopers----------------------------------105
-2 meltaguns

Storm troopers----------------------------------105
-2 meltaguns

TROOPS

Infantry platoon
-PCS------------------------------------------175
=Vox
=3 flamers
=Chimera w/ ML and HF
=Al’rahem

-Infantry squad---------------------------------75
=Vox
=ML
=GL

-Infantry squad---------------------------------70
=ML
=GL

-Infantry squad---------------------------------70
=ML
=GL

-Heavy Weapons Squad----------------------75
=3 autocannons

Vet squad----------------------------------------190
-3 plasma guns
-vox
(in vendetta)

Vet squad----------------------------------------130
-3 Meltaguns
-Shotguns
-demolitions doctrine
(In valkyrie)

FAST ATTACK

Rough riders------------------------------------70
-Power weapon
-Melta bombs
(I know they arent that useful, but who wouldnt pass up an opportunity to convert traitor guardsmen on bloodcrushers)

Vendetta gunship-----------------------------130

Valkyrie----------------------------------------130
-Rocket pods

HEAVY SUPPORT

Manticore w/ HF--------------------------------160

LRBT w/ HF------------------------------------160
-Heavy stubber

2 Griffon mortars w/ HF-------------------------150

TOTAL===============================2000

Tactics:
CCS- Drives around and gives orders/shoots

Marbo+Stormtroopers- Deepstrike and kill important units (nob bikers, battlewagons, deaff dreads)

Al'rahems platoon- Flank attack and generally causes chaos

Plasma vets in vendetta- Shoots armor, turbo boosts to objective

Meltavets in Valk- Alphastrikes battlewagons if possable

Rough riders- Run around looking badass:grin:

Manticore- Annhilates whatever needs to be destroyed totally and completely

LRBT- All purpose ork killer

Griffons- Kill large units of boyz

Please give me feedback and let me know what I am doing horribly wrong.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I am no expert (one win from 5 games) but your vox casters make no sense. For them to work you need a vox in both the command squad giving the orders and in the squad recieving them. You need to decide if you are going to combine the infantry squads together and give them a vox for each unit.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, my bad I meant to have one in that big combine infantry squad. I dropped the extra rough rider and added one in the list above.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
No worries. I like the idea of your converted rough riders(very cool) ,but for a competitive game they might handicap you a bit.
Others might shout me down but against orks I rekon the versatility of missile launchers might really work for you. I know autocannons are the bees knees but with orders the ml's can make a mess of higher armor values and the blasts still deny armor saves on normal orks.(Not that they make many of them) Just an idea.

I just saw your previous list thread where missile launchers were reccomended aginst. Don't treat my ideas as gospel, trying to help only.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
ML's do ok against Orks..any Blast weapons do, although I wouldn't swap every HW over to them.

On the Valkyrie build..the HB's are far better on Vendettas because you will need to slow the Valkyrie's movement to fire them. They also give the 'detta a secondary role once you run out of AV targets.

I'm liking that you have given the MeltaVets a Valkyrie and not a Vendetta..'dettas should be gunships first and foremost and only transport late-game Objective-takers, which hopefully is what your PlasmaVets are.

RR's as Bloodcrushers look swe-eet..a mate of mine did his like that and they're far far nicer than the terrible current RR models.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
Listen to hobo's advice too. I listened to him and I have now had my first and only win. YAY

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ML's do ok against Orks..any Blast weapons do, although I wouldn't swap every HW over to them.

On the Valkyrie build..the HB's are far better on Vendettas because you will need to slow the Valkyrie's movement to fire them. They also give the 'detta a secondary role once you run out of AV targets.

I'm liking that you have given the MeltaVets a Valkyrie and not a Vendetta..'dettas should be gunships first and foremost and only transport late-game Objective-takers, which hopefully is what your PlasmaVets are.

RR's as Bloodcrushers look swe-eet..a mate of mine did his like that and they're far far nicer than the terrible current RR models.
Thanks for the advice, both of you. (I would have quoted you too shaantitus but I havnt got the whole multi quote thing down, and Im just plain lazy)

I changed the ACs to MLs in the combined infantry squads and removed the HBs from the valk to pay for that.

I was planning to get a cheap SWS for the vendetta, so the plasmavets could have their own transport but I couldnt fit in another chimera for them (I will get the SWS and chimera instead of rough riders in more competitive games)

One quick question: Does Al'rahem's "like the wind"(or whatever its called) order allow heavy weapons to fire then move?

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I use SWS and PCS (built for late-game objective/taking etc) in Vendettas all the time..I prefer them to Vets which are far better being in Chimeras due to the firepoints, and I feel the 'gunship' capability of the 'detta is wasted on early-game deployment...
Valkyries are a whole different story.

That said, I know some swear by alpha-striking Vets in Vendettas..it's just not for me, and I've seen people cry when their precious Gunship gets destroyed first turn, all that wasted long range firepower gone to waste.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hi Evil Beaver,

The list below is something I would construct when facing an Ork army I really wanted to beat after a losing streak. Maybe you don't have the models, maybe it's not to your liking, but maybe you can use some tips.

HQ- [6] CCS w/ MoO @ 80pts
EL- [9] psyker battle squad, [1] chimera w/ ml/hf @ 155pts
TR- [10] veterans w/ 3 plasmaguns, [1] chimera w/ ml/hf @ 170pts
Infantry platoon
TR- [5] PCS w/ 4 flamers, [1] chimera w/ ml/hf @ 105pts
TR- [31] blob w/ 3 AC, 3x powerweapons, commissar w/ powerweapon @ 235pts
TR- [3] HWS w/ 3 AC @ 75pts
FA- [1] vendetta w/ HB sponsons @ 140pts
HS- [1] manticore w/ HF @ 160pts
HS- [1] manticore w/ [email protected] 160pts
HS- [2] medusa w/ HF @ 270pts
Total: 85 models, including 11 vehicles,17 kill points @ 2000pts

This is an armoured gunline. The maticores and medusas will devestate infantry and armour alike. That S10 AP4 and S10 AP2 is awesome against mechanised hordes. The psykers offer versatility. When facing nob bikers, lower their LD and pound them with the medusas. Watch them run off the board like crazy. If no LD lowering is needed just add another S8 template to your firepower. The vendettas are more focused and take out transports/battlewagons at first and then switch to targets of opportunity (ToO). The CCS will order the HWS and the blob squad. The MoO will just add another template to the army that should hurt the horde. The blob and HWS will target transports or ToO. The blob (bubblewrap) is meant to take the first hit and keep you firepower going for an extra turn. Powerweapons and a commissar mean you should kill stuff in CC. The flamer PCS and plasma veterans are meant to plug gaps in the line. They can move 12", exit and kill prime targets what should be killed. (That's the kamikaze way.) The chimeras just add some S6 firepower and heavy flamers!

That would be my take against the army you described.

Good luck!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Evil Beaver,

The list below is something I would construct when facing an Ork army I really wanted to beat after a losing streak. Maybe you don't have the models, maybe it's not to your liking, but maybe you can use some tips.

HQ- [6] CCS w/ MoO @ 80pts
EL- [9] psyker battle squad, [1] chimera w/ ml/hf @ 155pts
Infantry platoon
TR- [5] PCS w/ 4 flamers, [1] chimera w/ ml/hf @ 105pts
TR- [31] blob w/ 3 AC, 3x powerweapons, commissar w/ powerweapon @ 235pts
TR- [3] HWS w/ 3 AC @ 75pts
HS- [1] manticore w/ HF @ 160pts
HS- [1] manticore w/ [email protected] 160pts
HS- [2] medusa w/ HF @ 270pts
Total: 85 models, including 11 vehicles,17 kill points @ 2000pts

This is an armoured gunline. The maticores and medusas will devestate infantry and armour alike. That S10 AP4 and S10 AP2 is awesome against mechanised hordes. The psykers offer versatility. When facing nob bikers, lower their LD and pound them with the medusas. Watch them run off the board like crazy. If no LD lowering is needed just add another S8 template to your firepower. The vendettas are more focused and take out transports/battlewagons at first and then switch to targets of opportunity (ToO). The CCS will order the HWS and the blob squad. The MoO will just add another template to the army that should hurt the horde. The blob and HWS will target transports or ToO. The blob (bubblewrap) is meant to take the first hit and keep you firepower going for an extra turn. Powerweapons and a commissar mean you should kill stuff in CC. The flamer PCS and plasma veterans are meant to plug gaps in the line. They can move 12", exit and kill prime targets what should be killed. (That's the kamikaze way.) The chimeras just add some S6 firepower and heavy flamers!

That would be my take against the army you described.

Good luck!
That looks like one damn good list.

I might have to try somthing like that, although i might trade one or two of the vendettas in for valks to transport plasmavets as I personally think that 3 is overkill against my friends normal list. I also might trade the psychers for meltavets since I dont really like them personally. I like the isea to add medusas, those would be deadly. I also might add vokes to the CCS and blob squad since that would help get orders to them without the commisar killing them off for not paying attention.

Also im not really on a losing streak, my friend is actually a horrible strategist and pretty new to the game. I just think thet the list i have been using has had trouble dealing with the swarms of orks quickly enough and that against a more skilled opponent I would be crushed.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Anyone got the answer to that question about Al'rahem I posted in my last post?

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Anyone got the answer to that question about Al'rahem I posted in my last post?
I don't believe it has an effect on the HW, so the particular HW's profile still stands..can't move and shoot.

That said, I don't use Al'Rahem so it's never come up.

·
Registered
261 Posts
@ beaver2

The question about Al'rahem I'll have to look up.

You say you don't like the psykers and want to trade them for a veteran unit. They both cost the same, so that's possible. But why don't you like the psykers? Their LD skill is nice and sometimes crucial (lower LD on ork bikers or fateweaver and possibly win the game) and the S8 APd6 is also pretty good. 50% of the time you'll have S8 AP3 or better. That's nice against mEQ and vehicles alike. The chimera will protect the weak bodied psykers.

I don't use psykers often (rarely in fact) but against an ork army ( you mentioned bikers I think) I'd take them for sure.

The 'losing streak' suggestion was of course purely hypothetical! ;)

Greetz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts