Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So me and 3 of my gamer mates are having a makeshift "tournament". Its 2k points and it involves CSM (me), Ultramarines, Tau and Eldar (possibly Blood Angels too). Looking for an army that will destroy the marines and the tau. The guy who plays Eldar has only ever played 2 games and is really new, so I'm not to phased about him. Anyway, I'm using the crimson slaughter supplement.

Lords:

Eliphas the Inheritor: MoN, Daemon Heart, Blade of the Relentless, SoC - 165

Lord Kraxon, Chapter Master of the Angels of Ecstasy: Slaughterers Horns, MoS, Power Axe + extra CCW - 110

Troops:

7x Plague Marines: 2x melta guns, combi-melta, Rhino w/ dirge - 238 (accompanied by Eliphas)

7x Plague Marines: 2x Plasma guns, combi-plas - 208

5x Noise Marines: 3x Sonic Blasters, 1x Blast Master - 134

9x Noise Marines: CCWs, IoE, Doom Siren, Melta bombs, Rhino w/ dirge - 253 (accompanied by Kraxon)

Fast:

Helldrake: baleflamer - 170

5x Raptors: 2x Melta guns - 115

2x Spawn: MoN - 72

Heavy:

5x Havocs: 4x Autocannons, MoN - 130

2x Obliterators: MoN - 152

Fortifications:

ADL w/ Quad gun - 100

Comes to a nice 1999 points.

The way I'll play against Ultramarines will be to keep everything on the board bar my raptors and deepstrike them in and kill his AA tank if he has one, and also to set up firing lines with sonic marines, havocs and oblits. The 2 Lord retinues should be able to handle any situation of troops. I was thinking of using my plasma marines to support the CCW noise marines and the spawn to run a distraction by the melta guys.

For Tau, I was going to keep 1 squad of oblits in reserve with the raptors and use them together to support eachother. My rhinos will work on different sides of the board while having fire support from 2 oblits, havocs and sonic marines, my plasma marines will have to trudge up the field with my spawn using cover where possible.

C&C appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Really nothing to add or criticize. it seems a good and funny list. I don't really like the slaanesh lord: he is too frail to bring an axe. An invul should be mandatory there, maybe drop the 3 sonic blasters and give him an aura of glory? Only results will tell, i guess.

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
Ok these are my thoughts.

Lords:

Lord Kraxon, Chapter Master of the Angels of Ecstasy: Slaughterers Horns, MoS, Power Axe + extra CCW - 110

Eliphas looks good, Simple and effective. Lord Kraxon is broken and in a bad way. Drop the Power Axe, Yes its AP2 but it strikes last losing you the bonus from MoS. Go with a Power Sword or Lance

Troops:

7x Plague Marines: 2x melta guns, combi-melta, Rhino w/ dirge - 238 (accompanied by Eliphas)

7x Plague Marines: 2x Plasma guns, combi-plas - 208

Nice Squads, simple and effective

5x Noise Marines: 3x Sonic Blasters, 1x Blast Master - 134

9x Noise Marines: CCWs, IoE, Doom Siren, Melta bombs, Rhino w/ dirge - 253 (accompanied by Kraxon)

I would drop the Sonic Blasters on the Noise Marines, but for the increased firepower I can almost understand it

Fast:

5x Raptors: 2x Melta guns - 115

2x Spawn: MoN - 72

Ok, Iam not sure about the Raptors on this list. But it depends how you use them, Bikes could be better

Heavy:

Not a horid set up, I would perhaps look at puting Lascannons on the Havocs, but the AUtocannon set-up isnt that bad

Fortifications:

ADL w/ Quad gun - 100

Comes to a nice 1999 points.
I think its a good list, and if the dice work for you you will do well.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts

My main beef with these characters is really that their delivery system is the wet cardboard that are Rhinos--and that they're otherwise just Infantry, so slow as hell.

Perhaps take meltabombs on Eliphas. I'm sure you know to charge him into a squishy unit to get that AP2 for 3 kills before you aim for your opponent's tougher nuts to crack. If you can find 25 points, I would advise fisticlaws on Kraxon--it would let you take advantage of the high I, but still leave you with reliable AP2. If not, sure, I understand wanting AP2 and scoring Noise marines--still, I'd swap out that CCW for a bolt pistol, at least--it still counts as a melee weapon but also shoots. (unless you're using the Aspiring Champion model, I guess, which would be an understandable take on things for using that gear loadout)

Troops look good. I'm wary of large squads of melee noise marines purely for how much they cost (versus their relative fragility and slowness), but they do have some awfully tempting toys...

Honestly, the rest of the list as a whole looks pretty good.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I don't really like the slaanesh lord: he is too frail to bring an axe. An invul should be mandatory there, maybe drop the 3 sonic blasters and give him an aura of glory? Only results will tell, i guess.
Lord Kraxon is broken and in a bad way.
I would advise fisticlaws on Kraxon
I'd swap out that CCW for a bolt pistol, at least--it still counts as a melee weapon but also shoots. (unless you're using the Aspiring Champion model, I guess, which would be an understandable take on things for using that gear loadout)

Poor Lord Kraxon. Yes it is the Aspiring Champion model, I am aware of the power axe issue, it crossed my mind. The general consensus is he's not the greatest Lord. (There needs to be more weapon artefacts like in fantasy!) Anyway, seeing as I play a pretty relaxed group, I can load him out differently but still keep his bad ass look! Here's my amendments based on your comments.

Lords:

Eliphas the Inheritor: MoN, Daemon Heart, Blade of the Relentless, SoC, melta bombs - 170

Lord Kraxon, Chapter Master of the Angels of Ecstasy: Slaughterers Horns, MoS, (Power Cleaver)Fist, (Anathame)Lightning Claw, SoC - 160

I'll call it a Power Cleaver because it sounds badass and make it I1 x2 str AP2, and the Anathame (being the type of sword used to wound Horus) as the Lightning Claw. Why? Because it's fucking bad ass thats why!

Troops:

7x Plague Marines: 2x melta guns, combi-melta, Rhino w/ dirge & havoc launcher - 250 (accompanied by Eliphas)

7x Plague Marines: 2x Plasma guns, combi-plas, melta bombs - 213

5x Noise Marines: 1x Blast Master - 125

9x CSM: CCWs, IoE, Melta bombs, Rhino w/ dirge & havoc launcher - 232 (accompanied by Kraxon)

Fast:

4x Spawn: MoN - 144

Heavy:

Fortifications:

ADL w/ Quad gun - 100

1998 points all up!

Changed units in green. Bombs added, Kraxon is beastier with a 4++ and fisticlaws. Sonic blasters cut, raptors cut and 2 more spawn added and the noise marines cut for regular marines. I figured I cut them out for regular CSM because all I was paying for was a heavy flamer, and lets be honest, they don't really need it, they'll be attacking before EVERYONE they attack. And just for @Uveron, I know how much you like havoc launchers, so i put them on my rhinos. The only thing I'm worried about is my lack of str 9 + weapons. I can drop the quad gun and make it an Icarus Lascannon? It'll be hitting on the 3+ still, and I'm not really worried about any flyers, my Helldrake can take care of flyers.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Looks good and fun as is. My thoughts below in orange.

Lords:

Eliphas the Inheritor: MoN, Daemon Heart, Blade of the Relentless, SoC, melta bombs - 170

Lord Kraxon, Chapter Master of the Angels of Ecstasy: Slaughterers Horns, MoS, (Power Cleaver)Fist, (Anathame)Lightning Claw, SoC - 160

I'm digging both of these guys. Nice job on the fluff.

Troops:

7x Plague Marines: 2x melta guns, combi-melta, Rhino w/ dirge & havoc launcher - 250 (accompanied by Eliphas)
I like consistency of purpose in my units. With such a close range payload, this Rhino is purely for protection and sprinting forward. Either as a transport or mobile wall. It'll be shredded instantly by Tau so most games all you'll do is move, flat out, pop smoke, die. It doesn't need to waste points on a havoc launcher. Instead, by shedding points elsewhere, a power fist could be added to compliment the better challenger, combi-weapon and melee potency of the unit.

7x Plague Marines: 2x Plasma guns, combi-plas, melta bombs- 213
While yes you want to get a good salvo or two off with your plasma, you'll probably not win out in a firefight with Tau. So instead, getting into melee is often preferable. Plague marines are the best melee unit in the codex. To get them to melee or if nothing else, block LoS to them to cover your advance, they're begging for a rhino.

5x Noise Marines: 1x Blast Master - 125
Love me some Noise Marines.

9x CSM: CCWs, IoE, Melta bombs, Rhino w/ dirge & havoc launcher - 232 (accompanied by Kraxon)
I'd drop this havoc launcher for the same reason as the one above. The dirge caster fits the cult of noise well.

Fast:

4x Spawn: MoN - 144
So glad you beefed these up. However with a Rhino, a couple Havocs and a few power weapons squeezed in these are my first candidate to be cut from the list.

Heavy:

I think the best part of this unit is its low cost. MoN hurts that a bit. More bodies would do better at protecting your autocannons as most long range firepower is rather high strength.

Can never complain about obliterators.

Fortifications:

ADL w/ Quad gun - 100
I personally always pick the quad-gun over icarus.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts