Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Heretics!
I have an upcoming tournament and I plan to use CSM with Daemon allies, but I'm torn between 2 lists. I would like to hear you opinions on the lists, what would you use and what changes would you make.
Here are the Lists:
HQ:

Chaos lord (175pts) - Bike, MoN, blight grenades, Sigil, VotLW, LC, PF.

Sorcerer (130pts) - Psyker lvl 3 (all 3 telepathy), Spell Familiar, VotLW, Force Sword.

Troops (408 pts):

2x squads of 5 Plague Marines (204 pts) - 2x Plasma Gun. Rhino w/ Dirge Caster.

Fast Attack (490 pts):

2x Helldrake - Baleflamer

5x Chaos Spawn.

Allied detachment - Chaos Daemons.

HQ:

Grat Unclean One (280 pts) - 2x Greater Rewards, Psyker lvl 3 (all 3 Biomancy).

Troops (180 pts):

2x squads of 10x Plaguebearers of Nurgle.

Heavy Support:

Daemon Prince (335 pts) - Wings, DoN, Warp-forged Armor, 2x Greater rewards, psyker lvl 3 (all 3 Biomancy)

With this everything has great mobility, which is kinda needed because this is a more assault oriented list, the sorc has 50% chance of getting invisibility which helps the chaos lord with the spawn cross terrain w/o much damage to do the dirty work. Also I got the option of using a CSM daemon Prince of Nurgle with the black mace, but that configuration is a little more squishy due to not having the rewards and having to pay the tax of one Nurgle power, lessening the chance of getting Iron Arm.

Fortification:

Aegis defense line with Quad Gun emplacement (100 pts)

HQ:

Chaos lord (175pts) - Bike, MoN, blight grenades, Sigil, VotLW, LC, PF.

Sorcerer (130pts) - Psyker lvl 3 (all 3 telpathy), Spell Familiar, Force Sword.

Troops (408 pts):

2x squads of 5 Plague Marines (204 pts) - 2x Plasma Gun. Rhino w/ Dirge Caster.

Fast Attack (490 pts):

2x Helldrake - Baleflamer

4x Chaos Spawn.

Heavy Support:

Chaos Havocs (115 pts) - 4x Autocannons.

Allied detachment - Chaos Daemons.

HQ:

Grat Unclean One (255 pts) - 2x Greater Rewards, Psyker lvl 2 (all 2 Biomancy).

Troops (180 pts):

2x squads of 10x Plaguebearers of Nurgle.

Heavy Support:

Soul Grinder of Chaos - DoN, Phlegm Bombarment.

This list is less assaulty and more shooty, it also has a good anti-air with the quad gun and the Soul Grinder, speaking of which is almost indestructible behind the aegis (2+ cover save on 13 armor). The downside is that the Chaos Lord has one less Spawn for wound soaking and the GUO has one mastery level less.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Personally I'd go for the second list, the mix of firepower and assault would give you more options in the field. Also I reckon it never hurts to have a wall to hide behind, especially a wall mounting a quad gun :)
That being said the first list is great for rushing the enemy and seizing objectives with a couple of tough-to-shift units, although for obvious reasons i wouldn't try that on a CC heavy army.

I think the main weakness of both lists is a lack of anti-armour, anything heavy is gonna give you problems. I'd swap the Havocs for a few MoN obliterators, they're always handy no matter the situation.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Hmmm. I'd drop the expensive VotLW from the Ld10/fearless characters, for one thing, but that's finicky personal choice. I'd also try to invest more points into one of those PB squads (whichever one is DSing in instead of guarding the home objective, perhaps). I might also consider giving one of those PM squads meltas instead of plasma, as zackdaniels says. Using bikes with meltas instead of spawn would also accomplish the same thing--getting more AT into your list. No massive pressure though.

Hmm, which list do I like better? Well, I've been slaughtered by Tau enough times to be hesitant to commit anything less than 90% of my points to the first wave über-assault, so I'd have to say the first list... though the second list is nothing to sneeze at, definitely.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tomorrow it begins!

So tomorrow is the big day! We'll be 14 players divided theis way (including me): 2x Tyranids, Black Templars w/ Grey knights allies, 2x Tau, Imperial Fist SM, Orks, Necrons, Imperial Guard, 2x Eldar, Chaos, Chaos w/ Daemons and Blood Angels.
Hopefully I might be able to do a battle report to post here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts