Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heavy firesupport-based, fluffy army idea.

Chaos Sorcerer - 165
Lv 3
Terminator Armor
Force Sword
Combi-Bolter
Spell Familiar
Mark of Tz
(I have a model I'm really proud of in Termi armor with a sword, so I tend to use him as my warlord)

Thousand Sons - 242
8 + 1

Thousand Sons - 242
8 + 1

Thousand Sons - 242
8 + 1

(No Rhinos because I can't really afford to buy plastic boxes. I'll hopefully get infiltrate maybe, or just slog them forward with S&P)

Noise Marines - 174
6 + 1
5 Sonic Blasters
1 Blast Master

Noise Marines - 174
6 + 1
5 Sonic Blasters
1 Blast Master

Obliterators - 140
x2

Obliterators - 140
x2

Primaris Psyker - 70

Psyker Battle Squad - 110
9 + Overseer

Veteran Squad - 115
9 + 1
3 Plasma Guns

Veteran Squad - 115
9 + 1
3 Plasma Guns

Total: 1929

So basically it's a gunline army. I can slog forward with Rubrics, while keeping the Vets back to hold backfields, and still open up with decent firepower. A little more impressive than Cultits blobs. The Primaris Psyker and the Battle Squad are pure fluff for a Thousand Sons army, I'd really like to keep them. The giant blast from the Battle Squad should cause some havoc, while the Primaris can cause a mess with his Arc (pity he can't get Divination).

I play the Noise Marines as my Havocs, laying down lots of mid range firepower augmented by the Blastmaster. Those squads are then supported by whatever heavy weapons the Obliterators can offer along with.

I have 70 points left to play with. I could give the Vets 4+ armor, I could add a few Heavy Weapons for the backfield firepower. I could throw the Primaris and Psykers in a Chimera, but as the only vehicle they'd be eaten quick. I may try to trim points for a Heldrake....

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I like your concept here and the way you are building this army staying true to the fluff. I think you are right in saying that the Prospero Spireguard are more elite shocktroops than your typical blob guard, so representing them with Veterans is probably the way forward.

How will it play? No idea. But as I have kept repeating in other threads here, Thousand Sons need to be kept away from rapid fire weapons as much as possible as it is their achilles heal. It's not as hard to do this as people make out, you just need to build your list around this strategy. What 1ksons are great at is taking a shit load of heavy weapons fire and then rapid firing and charging whenever they have the chance.

So with that in mind, I find they work best when you have other units to go ahead and screen for them to deal with those small arms and rapid fire threats, which then forces your opponent to resort to long range heavy weapons to deal with the 1ksons...So I think you should use the Chimera Vets mobility to do this with the 1ksons walking behind, rather than have the Chimera Vets being static on home objectives. It's kind of a waste to have mobile troops choices static in my opinion, especially when the 1ksons are slow and purposeful and in the need of being babysat by faster screening units.

Edit: Shit okay, didn't realise you didn't give your Veterans Chimeras! I highly recommend you do, as they are incredibly squishy and will run away very easily. Even behind an aegis defence line or plopped in cover, they will run away with crappy their leadership. One lucky large blast could send a squad running.

Other than that and lack of anti-flier I like the effort you've put in and the list seems quite fun and lfuffy. The Psyker squad i've seen troll a few players at my club. I might try it someday too as it looks fun.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been thinking about adding a Heldrake to the army; that could help with anti-air. Another option would be a Valkyrie or Vendetta as one of my transports.

My concern is needing 3 Chimeras at this point; realistically, I'd need one for each of the three IG squads, letting them move forward. Even bare bones that would cost me a squad or two of marines somewhere; probably an Obliterator pair instead. More if I went with 2 Chimeras and a Vendetta.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Well, I think you could scratch the x2 oblits, since you will have x2 squads of Noise Marines as you long-range fire support, plus x2 Obliterators. So, perhaps x4 Oblits was overkill anyway?
Those x3 Chimeras are pretty essential in my opinion, and this is the only realistic way of finding the points for them I think.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm....

Chaos Sorcerer - 165
Lv 3
Terminator Armor
Force Sword
Combi-Bolter
Spell Familiar
Mark of Tz

Thousand Sons - 242
8 + 1

Thousand Sons - 242
8 + 1

Thousand Sons - 242
8 + 1

Noise Marines - 174
6 + 1
5 Sonic Blasters
1 Blast Master

Noise Marines - 174
6 + 1
5 Sonic Blasters
1 Blast Master

Obliterators - 70
x1

Obliterators - 70
x1

Primaris Psyker - 70

Psyker Battle Squad - 180
9 + Overseer
Chimera
Autocannon, Pintle SB

Veteran Squad - 185
9 + 1
3 Plasma Guns
Chimera
Autocannon, pintle SB

Veteran Squad - 185
9 + 1
3 Plasma Guns
Chimera
Autocannon, pintle SB

Total: 1999

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rehashing this old list... Any other suggestions that could work here? Using Valkyries would be nice, instead of Chimeras, but I don't know where I'd find the points for them all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
heres my advice drop the noise marines they dont fit in pick up a drake add ahriman instead of a sorcerer warlord trait is automatically master of deception

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a lot of points simply to infiltrate some models, especially since Ahriman can't take a Familiar. Can you tell me WHY the noise marines don't fit? If it's theme-wise, I have custom built models to match the Thousand Sons, and the firepower is fairly impressive, honestly. If it's just to get the Heldrake, I might actually drop the Obliterators instead.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
It's totally worth it in my opinion....Honestly, the lack of spell familiar has never been a problem for me.
Do not underestimate the value of infiltrating units, and then telepathy traits on top of that, of which 50% are amazing. You have 3 rolls to get those 3/6 which are amazing, so chances are very good.

He is fun. So much fun.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I might actually look into it. I've pondered it a few times for the infiltrate, because that would also help counter the fact that I dislike Rhinos, and my Rubrics usually need to move forward.

I love the heldrake, so I'm good with adding those also... I'm just not certain about giving up my Noise Marines. They just seem like so much firepower goodness.

off the top of my head, I think that if I drop the 2 squads of Noise Marines, i could add Ahriman over the termi sorcerer, a Helldrake, and maybe a third Oblit.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahriman - 230

Thousand Sons - 242
8 + 1

Thousand Sons - 242
8 + 1

Thousand Sons - 242
8 + 1

Helldrake - 170

Obliterators - 78
x1, MoTz

Obliterators - 78
x1, MoTz

Obliterators - 78
x1, MoTz

Primaris Psyker - 70

Psyker Battle Squad - 180
9 + Overseer
Chimera
Autocannon, Pintle SB

Veteran Squad - 185
9 + 1
3 Plasma Guns
Chimera
Autocannon, pintle SB

Veteran Squad - 185
9 + 1
3 Plasma Guns
Chimera
Autocannon, pintle SB

If my math is correct right now, this is 1980 points. I could throw around a couple of Melta Bombs perhaps, or even an Autocannon on either Vet Squad?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts