Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I am on holiday at the moment and I have just finished Graham McNeil's Horus Heresy Novel, A Thousand Sons. I thought it was superb and decided instantly to do a pre heresy Thousand Sons army (i.e i like to paint and convert pre heresy colour schemes for my CSM). I don't have my codex with me so am going from memory (will check points when i get home) but i think the following should be 2k. Feedback hoped for :victory:

HQ

1 x Ahriman - 250 pts
1 x Chaos Sorceror, disc, warp time, mark of tzeentch, doombolt - 195

ELITES

5 x Terminators, 4 x power fists - 190

TROOPS

9 x TS (inc.sorcerer), doombolt, rhino - 289

HEAVY

5 x Havocs, heavy bolter, 2 x missile launchers, lascanon, icon - 195 (ish)
5 x Havocs, heavy bolter, 2 x missile launchers, lascanon, icon - 195

1 x Greater Daemon (converted to be Magnus) 100

TOTAL - 1992 (ish)

I normally play against Nids or Marines. My opponents are used to my weird and wacky armies and have no issue with it as long as they know what each model represents before hand.
The plan is to have the sorceror on disc deep strike with the terminators as an offensive unit. Ahriman can roll with 1 squad of marines, all 3 troops stay put in their rhinos as mobile response units. The havocs sit on the home objective and have the greater demon pop out of their champion as a defensive close combat response (please note that I normally run Oblits but didn't think they fitted the fluff so went with Havocs - though its been a while since i used them so i need to check their points and also whether they can take a champion for Magnus to possess).
I wanted 2 sorcerers as HQ choices (no DP) but i also wanted to try and convert Magnus and fit him in. He could play as a DP but i quite liked the idea of him appearing out of nowhere when most needed. I could drop him though and keep the 2 sorcerors alone and add something else, although a greater daemon would add some much needed close combat. anyway, i'm babling now....

·
Registered
135 Posts
For a 2k army list your lacking in anti armor capability.
Havocs can take a champion if they want to. You definately dont want to have "Magnus" pop in on one of your sorcerers.

Consider one or two tanks of your own, instead of a havoc squad or swapping doom bolts for bolt of change.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Also, remember you cannot deep strike your Disc Sorc with the Terminators off an Icon.

Icons only work for demons and teleporters...

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
bolt of change is a really bad choice on a unit of sons, it nullifys their shooting, keep the doombolts

GD are not best used in a sons army, use a deamon prince if you want to use a magnus rep, they are generally better than sorcerers anyway. And although ahriman is fluffy and cool he is overpriced.

The other problem is if your using a havoc champ your deamon is going to be too far away to make a difference in cc when you need to attack

Personally i'd fit in a landraider at 2000 and drop a havoc squad. Oblits are really good though and can fit in with the fluff if you use some cool conversions and different models

·
Registered
25 Posts
Like Barnster said take out the greater demon/Ahriman and get in a Demon prince.
your sorceror would be a lot better if he had Wind of chaos or Bolt of change instead of doombolt depending on what you want to use him for. I myself am not so fond of Havocs when we have stuff like obliterators, land raiders or predators for the same price. So I would at least drop 1 squad.

If you go with Barnster's advice to get in a LR it might be an idea to lower your terminators to 4 and kit your sorceror in termie armor. Disc is really cool though :p

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
think i may drop Ahriman and GD for a daemon prince with wings, warp time, mark of Tzeentch, not sure about what other power yet.

I hear what you guys are saying about a Landraider but i never seem to have much luck when i have used one before. seems to get munched real quick and when it does not, i'm not a huge fan of twin lascannons though this may be coz i run a Raider Crusader with multi melta for my Marines and that seems to always do so much better. How do others tool up their raiders for chaos??

So two squads of havocs with lascannon and 2 missile launchers in each squad i thought would cover it. I love my Oblits but i just can't use them in this army as Magnus/Ahriman would have killed them had they seen these mutated freaks i reckon!

·
Registered
25 Posts
think i may drop Ahriman and GD for a daemon prince with wings, warp time, mark of Tzeentch, not sure about what other power yet.

I hear what you guys are saying about a Landraider but i never seem to have much luck when i have used one before. seems to get munched real quick and when it does not, i'm not a huge fan of twin lascannons though this may be coz i run a Raider Crusader with multi melta for my Marines and that seems to always do so much better. How do others tool up their raiders for chaos??

So two squads of havocs with lascannon and 2 missile launchers in each squad i thought would cover it. I love my Oblits but i just can't use them in this army as Magnus/Ahriman would have killed them had they seen these mutated freaks i reckon!

Like Barnster told me in my thread you can convert the Obliterators to be supreme sorceror thingies.

Wind of Chaos is awesome for a Daemon Prince, burn a squad and finish the rest of in CC. Bolt of change is cool against vehicles and MC's and since you only have 2 lascannons, Bolt of change might help shooting tanks/MC's when you're not in charge range yet.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I would give your terminators some better firepower, at least a heavy flamer if they're going to be assaulting. And you may want to ditch 2 of the power fists for a pair of lightning claws and a chainfist.

As it stands, even if you get get some champions into your Havoc squads, odds are that if you use them (Or even your aspiring sorcerers) to get your GD in, he'll be too far away to do anything. Get a DP with wings, MoT, doombolt and maybe warptime, or wind of chaos.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I run my LR with a dozer blade and deamonic possession, most weapons will bounce off of it, only meltas and railguns really are going to do alot to it. The possession could be represented by alot of extra armour, more so than the extra armour upgrade would be anyway, or some sort of magical symbolism painted on, like the pre-heresy logo.

For slightly more than the cost of the tri las pred your survivabilty goes up alot especially against CC attackers now that all are resolved against rear armour, and you gain a heavy bolter. It really helps giving you some reliable long range anti tank, even if you just use it to pop transports for your sons to mow passengers down.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks to all for the input. I have listed a few armies in the past with little response so have added +1 rep for you guys for taking the time and trouble here.

Here is my revised list. Please note that i want to keep the Havocs and the Sorcerer on disc as i have won those items on ebay today (they were a bargain esp. as someone had already converted all 10 havocs with TS heads). I have also got the dex now so points should be right. have taken advice on raider and dropping ahriman and GD.

HQ
1 x Chaos Sorceror, Mark of tzeentch, Warp time, Doombolt, Disc = 195
1 x Daemon Prince, Mark of Tzeentch, Warptime, Doombolt = 165

ELITES

5 x Terminators, 2 x Power Fists, 1 x Chain Fist, 1 x Twin Lightning Claws, Mark of Tzeentch, 1 x Heavy Flamer = 235

TROOPS

1 x Aspiring Sorcerer, Doombolt, 8 x Thousand Sons, Rhino = 289

1 x Aspiring Sorcerer, Doombolt, 8 x Thousand Sons, Rhino = 289

1 x Aspiring Sorcerer, Doombolt, 8 x Thousand Sons, Landraider, Havoc launcher = 489

Heavy Support

5 x Havocs, Heavy bolter, 2 x missile launcher, 1 x lascannon = 165

5 x Havocs, Heavy bolter, 2 x missile launcher, 1 x lascannon = 165

TOTAL = 1992

The plan i suppose is for Termies and Disc to deep strike, Raider to transport troops and DP (why i have not given him wings), one squad to sit on the home objective with havocs and rhino standing by, and other rhino with other squad to be mobile response.
does this work? or should i put termies in Raider and DP with wings? but that leaves DP and Sorcerer as cannon fodder as one their own?

p.s. think i may use extra points with a bit of tweaking to get daemonic possession for my Raider?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Swap the weapons around in the havoc squads. You dont want to mix up anti infantry and anti tank to much.
2 HB/2 ML together and 2 ML/2LC together would make for less wasted shots against sub-optimal targets.

You can´t stick a MC in a transporter, not even a land raider. So no DP in the LR.

You could still, if you give the dp wings, have it be Magnus and deepstrike him in. That sort of gets back on track with your original idea of Magnus popping in when most needed.

Also finding points for a third rhino for the 1kSons and then shoving the terminators (1x hf/pf, 1x tlb/cf, 3x twin claws would be a good setup, maybe upping the claws to champions) in the land raider definately isnt a bad idea.

To afford this maybe cut down the 1ksons squads and loose the havoc on the lr.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts