Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...of Night Lords! Haha!

With my 30k Night Lords ordered, I looked for a way to play them in 40k games as well. Lucky for me, the Talon Strike Force has come up, and what could be more Night Lords-y than elite shock jump infantry blasting out of the night to terrify people?

TALON STRIKE FORCE
PINION DEMI-COMPANY
Captain Zso Sahaal with Artificer Armour, Auspex, Melta Bombs, Swifstrike and Murder

10 Tactical Marines with Meltagun and Veteran Sergeant with Nostraman Chainglaive... I mean, Lightning Claw and Meltabombs in a Drop Pod
10 Tactical Marines with Meltagun and Veteran Sergeant with Lightning Claw and Meltabombs in a Drop Pod
10 Tactical Marines with Meltagun and Veteran Sergeant with Lightning Claw and Meltabombs in a Drop Pod
5 Recon Marines - er, Scouts with Camo-Cloaks and Sniper Rifles

10 Assault Marines with Jump Packs, 2 Flamers and Veteran Sergeant with Power Fist

Devastator Squad with 4 Lascannons

FIRST COMPANY TASK FORCE
10 Night Raptors - damnit - Vanguard Veterans with 4 Power Swords and Sergeant with Nostraman Mancatcher - SHIT - Relic Blade.
10 Vanguard Veterans with 4 Power Swords and Sergeant with Relic Blade.
10 Vanguard Veterans with 4 Power Swords and Sergeant with Relic Blade.

The 'Raptors' bound up the field, or Deep Strike if I'm feeling lucky (I think GW intentionally stopped you from bringing a Comms Relay in the Talon) relying on their +2/+3 cover save to protect them; being in combat by turn 2 with a 12" move and Heroic Intervention/Winged Deliverance giving them re-rolls (but sadly, not double re-rolls). Of course, the enemy line will also have 20 Tactical Marines with a vague melee threat in them as well, so with a bit of luck the 'Raptors' won't even get shot at. Most likely, they'll Combat Squad into 6 units as to maximise their -2 Leadership bubble (causing Fear and projecting a big ol' -2 Ld bubble is what really makes them Night Lords).

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I laughed at this post. Looks like a fun list to play, though your Night Rap*cough*Vanguard will be in trouble if they get into it with a Walker or MC.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good shout; I'll probably drop Sahaal's Melta Bombs and the 2 Flamers from the Assault Squad and give all 3 Vanguard units Melta Bombs. It's not going to save them from most MCs, but it should help out on the anti-walker front. Against monsters, there's the Relic Blade and hopefully just weight of attacks; on the charge they have 4 attacks each, there's gotta be some 6s in there. Damnit, why can't I have a Talent for Murder in 40k?!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Death Company are better than Vanguard on the charge any day of the week and I still need power fists. It isn't even optional for my meta. What do relic blades do?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
S6 is OK I suppose. I'll let it slide...this time :laugh: (just stay away from Deeadknights and Riptides)

Enjoy your perfectly loyal 'nothing to see here' Night Lord army!

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but with my love of all things 'Counts As', I think I'd have done this list slightly differently. Granted, using a Demi Company suggests you want to at least pretend that these guys are Codex-worthy.... but I wouldn't bother with any foot sloggers at all.

Why not remove the PDC, and replace it with a Bladewing Brotherhood? You unfortunately can't have as many models as you would with a PDC (it limits you to 29 plus your Captain or Chaplain), but everything can be winged. Add the 1st Company to it and go to town.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I could make some kind of counter-argument about how the Raptors were only ever a small proportion of the VIII Legion, but it's even simpler than that; I have 3 10-man Terror Squads and 30 unadorned MkIV suits :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts