Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right, so after looking at Trueclaw's amazing Logan Wing list, i got inspired to do something similar, but i wanted to add Rune Priests. after several attempts, and telling myself not to use TW Cavalry (i don't want to bother with these guys right now, too much modeling work) i remembered lately that flamer spam has been terribly effective at my FLGS as of late, so here it goes:

HQ
Logan Grimnar

HQ
RP
-runic armor
-WTN
-storm bolter
-JotW
-Storm Caller

HQ
RP
-runic armor
-WTN
-storm bolter
-melta bombs
-JotW
-Storm Caller

ELITES
Dreadnought
x2 TL AutoCannon

ELITES
Dreadnought
x2 TL AutoCannon

TROOPS
WG x9
x5 with combi-flamer
x2 with combi-melta
x1 with combi-flamer/PF
x1 with termie armor/SS/CML
drop pod

TROOPS
WG x9
x5 with combi-flamer
x2 with combi-melta
x1 with combi-flamer/PF
drop pod

TROOPS
GH x9
-melta gun
-wolf standard
-PW
-rhino

TROOPS
GH x9
-melta gun
-wolf standard
-PW
-rhino

HEAVY SUPPORT
LF x5
x4 MM
-drop pod

follows some of the ideas Trueclaw's list does: Logan rides with LF, and the RP's ride with the WG that has combi-flamers and termie armor. the WF with PF/combi-flamer attaches to a GH unit.

the Dreads are there to provide walking cover for the rhinos and bust light armor.

thinking on it, i may have a bit of a time killing armor, so it might be a decent idea to change out the load of the Dreads to something more solid, maybe a LC or a ML, but that's all i can think of.

please tear it up :russianroulette: rep for decent advice as always.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Just to get some stuff cleared up before I dive in. Who exactly are the two priests with?

·
Registered
155 Posts
thanks for the props lol.

i like the main idea but, as you said yourself, your going to have a lot of trouble when it comes to higher AV. Or just a lot of it since a little under half your melta's are combi meltas. horde i don't see bothering you much with all the flamers. it seems pretty balanced.

i would switch from a PW to mark of the wulfen or just drop it all together. a S4 power weapon isn't all that great. i mean it's nice if you don't have a choice for better but overall not worth it not when it can be D6 extra attacks with rending or another model somewhere.

also i would consider dropping the dreads for land speeders, if your like me and you don't have any you could also do with the old MM + HF route on your dreads. that way they are a little more decent in cc (keeps S10 dreadnought cc weapon).

i do like the rune priest's, they give you a little psychic protection, lash will hurt a drop pod list a lot, sadly something I've learned from experience. the only thing i don't like is their powers. jaws is awesome, but since you'll be walking around a lot maybe give them living lightning to add to the ranged threat of the missiles from the WG.

lastly i would say to try and find pods for your dreads. that way you can get in 3 pods instead of 2. but thats just me. hope that helps.

·
Curiouser and Curiouser
803 Posts
First off your rune priests are illegal because they must have at least one different power. Assuming they are going in your pods I would keep JotWW and maybe give them living lightning or tempest's wrath.

Also while the relentless Long Fangs with four MM are cool and all I think I actually would prefer 4 lascannon with tank hunter. The MM may be able to pop two transports in that one turn they come down but they will quickly be destroyed. I know it runs against the idea of pods and all but that's just my two cents. And of course if you do this then put the CML WG with them too.

Just wanted to throw this idea out there but if the opponent does hold everything in reserve first turn would a viable strategy be to drop empty pods to deny entry in certain areas while keeping the meaningful pods in reserve and not waste them? I'm not familiar with drop pod strategy so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to get some stuff cleared up before I dive in. Who exactly are the two priests with?
the WG squads in pods, obviously.

i like the main idea but, as you said yourself, your going to have a lot of trouble when it comes to higher AV. Or just a lot of it since a little under half your melta's are combi meltas. horde i don't see bothering you much with all the flamers.
the line of thinking that flamers spam is for anti-horde only is something i'm trying to get out of. the idea of all those flamers is simply to cause wounds. at a recent tourney i saw an IG command squad with 4 flamers kill almost a full man BT Crusader squad.

who cares if MEQ's are harder to wound when you can cause 20-40 wounds on a single squad? that's possibility with a lot of flamers.

would switch from a PW to mark of the wulfen or just drop it all together. a S4 power weapon isn't all that great.
this makes sense

also i would consider dropping the dreads for land speeders
hate to admit this is actually pretty solid. i think though i'll go with straight up LS with MM, thought that means i can actually field 5 (removing the Dreads frees up 250 pts.).

what do you think about a couple of Typhoons and a couple of LS with HF/MM? may go with that.

jaws is awesome, but since you'll be walking around a lot maybe give them living lightning to add to the ranged threat of the missiles from the WG.
originally had LL on them, funny enough, but you're right about that.

lastly i would say to try and find pods for your dreads. that way you can get in 3 pods instead of 2. but thats just me. hope that helps.
easy enough to do, if i really need to, i can just switch out a rhino for a drop pod on one of the GH squads.

here's an idea: switch out the rhino on one GH squad to a pod; drop it empty as needed. drop the Dreads for a LR and put that GH squad in it.

a single LR could be bad though, and the LS sounds like a better idea so far.

Also while the relentless Long Fangs with four MM are cool and all I think I actually would prefer 4 lascannon with tank hunter.
then i can't fire the heavy weapon and move. and frankly, with Relentless, a MM is superior to a LC. not only that, but LC would make essentially a sacrificial unit too expensive. with this set up, switching from MM to ML or even HB is easy. switching to LC is too expensive.

Just wanted to throw this idea out there but if the opponent does hold everything in reserve first turn would a viable strategy be to drop empty pods to deny entry in certain areas while keeping the meaningful pods in reserve and not waste them? I'm not familiar with drop pod strategy so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
that or keep your things in Reserve depending on who goes first.

thanks so far guys, keep it coming!

·
Curiouser and Curiouser
803 Posts
Sorry I didn't mean to say that the tank hunter LC would be in the pod. They would be footslogging. That's why I was wondering about the empty pod.

·
Registered
155 Posts
the line of thinking that flamers spam is for anti-horde only is something i'm trying to get out of. the idea of all those flamers is simply to cause wounds. at a recent tourney i saw an IG command squad with 4 flamers kill almost a full man BT Crusader squad.

who cares if MEQ's are harder to wound when you can cause 20-40 wounds on a single squad? that's a possibility with a lot of flamers.
i realized that, was impressed, and then moved on with the rest of the concept of the list. what i meant to say was something like, If you where going against horde you would have the flamers to deal with it too. not that there there for only that, just that it helps having them.

what do you think about a couple of Typhoons and a couple of LS with HF/MM? may go with that.
sounds good. missiles and MM and heavy flamers. plus they can move all over the board. and if need be deep strike to keep with the flow of the list, and the fluff lol.

then i can't fire the heavy weapon and move. and frankly, with Relentless, a MM is superior to a LC. not only that, but LC would make essentially a sacrificial unit too expensive. with this set up, switching from MM to ML or even HB is easy. switching to LC is too expensive.
i think he meant to drop the drop pod on them and keep logan with them, giving them tank hunter and not moving them. that way you have S10 lasscannons. not use them the same lol.

EDIT: yeah thats what he meant lol

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Drop the extra crap on those RP. They are effective as hell without it. I agree with True in that I would introduce some MM LS into this list. Another thing I might suggest is that you include the storm caller ability on one, if not both, of the RP to help them weather that initial storm when they come down.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Competitive shredding Review

right, so after looking at Trueclaw's amazing Logan Wing list, i got inspired to do something similar, but i wanted to add Rune Priests. after several attempts, and telling myself not to use TW Cavalry (i don't want to bother with these guys right now, too much modeling work) i remembered lately that flamer spam has been terribly effective at my FLGS as of late, so here it goes:

HQ
Logan Grimnar

Good.

HQ
RP
-runic armor
-WTN
-storm bolter
-JotW
-Storm Caller

HQ
RP
-runic armor
-WTN
-storm bolter
-melta bombs
-JotW
-Storm Caller

Firstly, you can't do this. Power combos must be different. I'd swap jaws on both or at least one for MH or LL, and swap SC for LL on one. And for wargear, no SBs for you. You'll pretty much always be using your powers instead of shooting, and with that thing you lose you're extra FW that wounds daemons on a 2+ attack if you get stuck in combat. And if you're trying to make your wargear different use WTT instead of meltas, it's more likely to come in handy.

ELITES
Dreadnought
x2 TL AutoCannon

ELITES
Dreadnought
x2 TL AutoCannon

Good.

TROOPS
WG x9
x5 with combi-flamer
x2 with combi-melta
x1 with combi-flamer/PF
drop pod

TROOPS
WG x9
x5 with combi-flamer
x2 with combi-melta
x1 with combi-flamer/PF
drop pod

okay I think I know wher everything goes. Emphasis on think. I'd say drop them down to 5 man each excluding the ones who run off to be sarges, and stick with pure combi-melts or a 3/2 melt/flame ratio so you aren't screwed against mech marines. Use the leftover points to invest in a CC squad for Logan to run with (BCs maybe?).

TROOPS
GH x9
-melta gun
-wolf standard
-PW
-rhino

TROOPS
GH x9
-melta gun
-wolf standard
-PW
-rhino

Drop to 8 man and swap the PW for MotW, it's universally useful (rending hurts MEQs, high number of attacks hurts horde). Have the prists ride with these and shoot stuff out the top. (I'm assuming the CF/PF WG go here).

HEAVY SUPPORT
LF x5
x4 MM
-drop pod

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. NO! Not even for shits and giggles. Here's why. Either make them MLs and lose the pod to camp with a CML WG, or lose them all together and put the points towards a CC squad for Logan.

follows some of the ideas Trueclaw's list does: Logan rides with LF, and the RP's ride with the WG that has combi-flamers and termie armor. the WF with PF/combi-flamer attaches to a GH unit.

the Dreads are there to provide walking cover for the rhinos and bust light armor.

thinking on it, i may have a bit of a time killing armor, so it might be a decent idea to change out the load of the Dreads to something more solid, maybe a LC or a ML, but that's all i can think of.

please tear it up :russianroulette: rep for decent advice as always.
List torn up. I'd post a new list using the recommendations but I'm tired, PM me if you want one.
Good Hunting,
Raptors8th

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Attempt #2:

HQ
Logan Grimnar

HQ
RP
-runic armor
-WTN
-Living Lightning
-Tempest’s Wrath

HQ
RP
-runic armor
-Living Lightning
-Storm Caller

ELITES
Dreadnought
-MM
-drop pod

TROOPS
WG x9
x5 with combi-flamer
x2 with combi-melta
x1 with combi-flamer/PF
drop pod

TROOPS
WG x9
x5 with combi-flamer
x2 with combi-melta
x1 with combi-flamer/PF
drop pod

TROOPS
GH x9
-melta gun
-wolf standard
-MotW
-rhino

TROOPS
GH x9
-melta gun
-wolf standard
-MotW
-rhino

FAST ATTACK
LS
-MM

FAST ATTACK
LS
-MM

HEAVY SUPPORT
LF x5
x4 MM
-drop pod

Main changes are that I dropped on Dread in favor of 2 MM LS. I could eve remove the other Dread for that, but I’m leery to do so as it gives me another threat to throw at my opponent from the start. Not to mention, LS in squadrons is not a great thing IMO.

Kept every thing else as it was, save for changing the RP powers, the PW on the GH to MotW.

Wouldn’t the drop pod assault rules negate Logan’s ability? Meaning that since you drop pod assault at the beginning of the turn wouldn’t he have to be on the table at the beginning of the turn in order for his special rule to go into effect?

In any case, I don’t see myself changing it up (unless there’s a very good reason to…). You can still deploy the LF at 12”, potentially in cover, and with Relentless you can walk up to 6” and still fire. That makes the MM 36”-40” range, good enough for me.

Have at it mateys…

·
Registered
155 Posts
Attempt #2:

Wouldn’t the drop pod assault rules negate Logan’s ability? Meaning that since you drop pod assault at the beginning of the turn wouldn’t he have to be on the table at the beginning of the turn in order for his special rule to go into effect?
im not sure about that. his ability doesn't say he needs to be on the table for it to go off, like bjorns, he can't be on the table. but in this case all it says is pick a usr for them. i figure you could pick a USR even if they aren't on the table.

also good call with the multi meltas. i have used them and they did their job wonderfully and surprisingly lived through the whole game. don't expect that every time but i was pleased they lasted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts