Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Looking for some C&C on a 2K list for next weekend's tourney.

Librarian; LvL 2, Digital Weapons

4x Tactical Squad; +5 Marines, HB, PG, SB
2x Tactical Squad; +5 Marines, MM, MG, Combi Melta

2x Devastator Squad; +5 Marines, 4 LC
Devastator Squad; +5 Marines, ML w/Flakk

Sternguard; PF, Combi Melta, MB, Drop Pod w/DWML

Clocks in at 2K.

Imperial Fists Chapter Tactics.
The Librarian will hang back in the mix with the Devastators.
The Sternguard will Drop Pod on turn one, hopefully to something close that they can try and screw with before it becomes too much of a problem.
The Devastators will hopefully set up on some high ground or get to it in the first turn.
The Tactical Squads are there to run and gun for objectives while they can.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Looks pretty good and has a ton of bodies but I would be worried about long range weapons that can take care of your squads before they can do anything. Tau spring to mind, Guard tanks (though any that negate 3+ armour don't have Ignores Cover), %$#ing Noisemarines. Anything that moves up and engages your units at 12" or closer is going to get murderated by a hail of bolter fire (I know the feeling way too well), I really think it's only weakness is artillery. If your opponent doesn't bubble-wrap their big guns/deploy in a DS zone-denial method then your Sternguard won't be able to distract their fire or silence them quick enough. My group is predominantly Marines so I have turned away from my BA in favour of Guard just for some new flavour in the games. My Leman Russ's are hated for the amount of AP2/3 blasts they bring and the amount of stuff I keep in front of them that denies DS/grants me a cover save :laugh:

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that's always a possibility, not being able to DS close enough to make a difference. But, in the games where I can it'll be useful.
Long range weapons are always a nuisance, but, odds are I can use the terrain on the table to help me out here and there to try and avoid getting completely shot up.
At this time, I'm not sure if the Libby is a good choice or not. I don't usually take them, but, planned on taking one this time to become more familiar with how they work and function. I'm half tempted to take a Chaplain and have him Pod in with the Sternguard.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
in the games where I can it'll be useful
Absolutely, I guess with the prominence of Drop Pods in my gaming group everyone's pretty on point with their deployment styles. While this is something I face every time I use Pods I guess not everyone has wised up or has lists/terrain that accommodates such strategies.

odds are I can use the terrain on the table to help me out here and there to try and avoid getting completely shot up
If you come up against Barrage weapons just stay on top of your model placement and you'll come out OK. My Basilisk (soon to be plural) loves units that try to bunch up out of LoS.

I'm half tempted to take a Chaplain and have him Pod in with the Sternguard.
The Chaplain makes them into an assault unit on the charge only really. Two attacks each base is nice, but don't let that fool you into thinking they're good in combat. My Death Company often loses if they can't kill a unit in the turn they charge it (unless that unit is soft like a soup sandwich), and they sit at 3 attacks each with 5 on the charge at S5/I5. Heck, they even have a Chaplain attached most of the time and he's pretty lame in Challenges since he sits at AP4 (though my MEQ dominated meta might be showing in that assessment). Prescience from a Libby gives the squad the same benefit regardless of the charge factor and it works for shooting as well. Sure it's a little random, but I've seen guys reliably cast it all game on 2/3 dice. The only trouble comes if you're facing a ridiculous ML list (GK, Daemons, Eldar) and they have fistfuls of dice they can drop on Deny the Witch and enough 6's come out to nullify your power. Barring luck though they'll need a lot of dice to roll...and it typically isn't all on the table at T1 like your Libby/Sternguard or Libby/Devs will be.

Also worth considering is that Prescience has a 12" range for casting, so he could offer either one of the Dev squads he to-hit buff depending on the target priority of the turn and your own deployment.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I recently started playing my DC with both a Libby and a Chaplain attached....much carnage. Lot of points on a ultimately so-so combat unit though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts