Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this will probably get flamed, but I'm of the mindset that anything is possible with marines because they are versatile. Keep getting told to go play IG or Tau, but with good planning and unit loadouts and a whole crapton of curried favor (via many candle-light ritualistic sacrifices of small hello kitty plastic miniatures with an MM - not multi-melta, but a mini-microwave) from the dice gods; anything could happen.

HQ:
145 - Captain - RB, SS
185 - Command Squad - 2x Flamers, 2x Meltaguns, Razorback

Elite:
125 - Dreadnought - 2x TLAC

Troops:
245 - Tactical Squad x10 - Flamer, ML, PF, Combi-Flamer, Razorback
245 - Tactical Squad x10 - Flamer, ML, PF, Combi-Flamer, Razorback
170 - Tactical Squad x10 - Flamer, ML
170 - Tactical Squad x10 - Flamer, ML

Fast Attack:
70 - Land Speeder - HF, MM

Heavy Support:
85 - Predator - AC, HB Sponsons

Lots 'n' lots of dakka dakka. Speeders pop w/e they can after ds'ing in on 1/2. Some flexibility after that as I can wait to move 2x combat and command squads forward after assaulty stuff gets mowed down and let the razorbacks shoot a couple rounds. Or I can move 3x razorbacks loaded up and be assaulty on something that survived the 3x speeders and constant firing from 3x dreads and 3x preds. Or I can just sit back and go full board shooty and then grab a forward objective towards the end.

Should I turn one of the preds into a vindy and give one of the dreads an AC/SB/DCCW to move forward with the razorbacks and/or sit back being shooty/assaulty with things that get close? Was trying to work some sternguard into the mix but didn't want to give up dreads and didn't want to loose other heavy support choices for dreads via a motf.

Anyways, any thoughts, tipcs, advice, egregiously scathing critical comments, etc. are appreciated.

Thanks,

Tak

·
Registered
195 Posts
:suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide:

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
the two weakest parts of this list is that it will struggle against AV 14 and two of your tact squads don't have transports.

IMO, it would be better for you to drop the dakka Preds and increase the LS squadrons to two each, for a total of 6 LS with MM/HF set up.

that free up some points, get a rhino for your third squad.

i would also seriously consider taking Cassius: his statline is not as good as a Captain's, but he has a 4++ save built in with a pretty good combi-flamer that also wounds on a 2+.

i'd drop one dakka Dread to free up the space for a Sternguard squad with combi-melta to ride with Cassius.

it's 1:40 am where i'm at right now. if i sound delusional, my apologies. i enjoy seeing players attempting lists that are against the norm and grain of the 40K "meta game". shows imagination.

good hunting.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Rock lists and armor value 13 spam will rock your world and three speeders will not stop them. The lack of AP2 means terminators will hug you and almost all of your guns give tyranid monstrous creatures their save and with many of them having six wounds it'll be a long day in the marine camp.

Shooty marines can and do win, I play them myself but, you have to cover your bases on higher armor values and how to handle afore mentioned rock units.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Posted on your 1k list btw about the command squad so same applies here.

Dreads are cool.

Marine squads with specials in razorbacks are not cool. You have to get out to shoot which means putting your squad at risk; bad times.

Lascannon sponsons would be soooo much better for some serious long range support, would be a lot more nastier then.

·
Registered
344 Posts
All your choices but your troops are very efficient try dropping those and investing in upgrading your list to handle high av, you can try Inquisitorial storm troopers if you don't want more speeders.

You should probably get a rhino rather then a razorback for the command squad, shooting out the top is awesome.

Also if you become sufficiently MSU rock units aren't a huge concern, let them kill a tiny bit at a time while peppering them with the firepower your list brings until they get worn down.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I built a list thinking about what you're trying to do. I don't have the codex or the list on me, but I know this rough idea comes out to 2K points:

HQ
MotF
-conversion beamer
-1 servitor (using up points here that’s all)

ELITES
Dread
-x2 TL AC

ELITES
Dread
-x2 TL AC

TROOPS
Marines x10
-ML
-flamer
-PF
-rhino

TROOPS
Marines x10
-ML
-flamer
-PF
-rhino

TROOPS
Marines x10
-ML
-flamer
-PF
-rhino

TROOPS
Marines x10
-ML
-flamer
-PF
-rhino

TROOPS
Scouts x 7 or 8
-sniper rifles
-cloaks
-ML

FAST ATTACK
LS x2
-HF/MM

FAST ATTACK
LS x2
-HF/MM

HEAVY SUPPORT
Dread
-TL LC
-DCCW

HEAVY SUPPORT
Dread
-TL LC
-DCCW

I know it doesn’t follow what I started mentioning, but it has fast anti-tank, long range anti tank and lots of Marines.

The MotF hangs out with the Scouts at home objective (in cover, that’s been fortified) and the Dreds are where you need them, either moving forward or near the Scout squad to provide cover fire.

I left the DCCW on the LC Dread as I thought it would be useful to fight any would be deep striking MC’s, transports, etc.

Lastly, make sure your Marines never get out of their vehicles unless they absolutely have to.

Good hunting.

·
Registered
314 Posts
RBs shoud try to go Las/Plas, command squad should go 4x melta, and RB tacs should take melta+combi-melta and lose the fists. Also lose the SS on your captain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts