tacx10, plasmacannon/plasmagun 185pts
w/ razorback, tllc, ea 90pts

tacx10, plasmacannon/flamer 175
w/ razorback, tllc, ea 90pts

tacx5, combimelta 100pts
w razorback, tllc, ea 90pts

Typhoon w/ mm x3 300pts

Autolas Pred x3 360

1890pts, at this level i could add another librarian, essentially one for each sternguard.

my sternguard add up to 430pts. if i ran them in a dp they'd run at 335pts and that would give me 205pts to mess around with. 2 rifleman dreads are 250pts, i could drop the ea from my razorbacks and hit it on the dot.

one other conundrum for me is that this list isn't risky. the sternguard, either in rhino or dp, are definitely risky. everything else is very strait forward and some what easy to run.

i like my list very much but feel like adding some thing fun. i've always liked scout bikers, where they could help the dp land accurately and support the sternguard squad. How many scout bikes are a good number?

regardless of my ramblings, any good ideas out there in heresy?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Well at first look, your list looked really sporadic, but then looking at it closer, this list might fare pretty well. The couple of things i see are that a.) you don't have any power weapons/fists. As shooty as this army is, you will ultimately end up in combat at some point. 1 MC could start chewing through your army and as long as it stays in CC with you, theres nothing you could do. Id say take some of those extra points and invest in some fists and PWs. b.) scouts are not a bad idea, though in this case i would take 5 scout snipers w/ a ML. They are good for sitting on a home objective while the rest of your army advances. Hope that helps and happy hunting.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Pro tip - shoot the assaulty stuff... Assault the shooty stuff :grin:

List looks good... All the combi meltas seem a little excessive... have you played this yet? I've actually never run sternguard... I just dig the Dreads too much... so is there a magic number for combi weapons to give them?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I like your list. Some thoughts.

Extra Armour - The difference to you between stunned and shaken for a Rhino is large, but for a Razorback it is small (either way you lose their shot). So I agree with your idea to drop the Razorback ea, while keeping the Rhinos'. 45pts.

Combi-meltas - I think 4 is enough per squad. Shooting from the hatch that is two rounds of fire. Assuming 1 turn to get close enough to use them, the 5th shot is only relevant in turn 4. That seems marginal. Different if you get out, but even there one shot where 4 was insufficient seems marginal. 10pts?

Typhoons - Would 2xTyphoon and 1xTornado be as good? That is, with the tornado held in reserve as a threat. 30pts?

Tacticals - I tend to think combi-flamer rather than combi-melta on the small tactical. The template weapon is a better bet if that is your only shot. Or take mb? It will be interesting to hear how the plasmacannons get on. As others have said, one scouts might be better, and if you want the extra tllc you can always split on of the big tacticals. 5pts (if you swap to mb).

So I can see 85-90pts that can be found in structural details without (probably) weakening your force. Giving say 200pts to spend. Second libby as you suggest, or maybe something like an ironclad and dp? TH/SS termies? A final thought for the combis. I do like the cheap sternguard combis, but if you were to keep 5xcombi why not make one a combi-flamer?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
great ideas guys.

my initial intention was to deckout the sternz with c-melta and run 6 per squad. 5 per squad gives me wiggle room points wise and as you mention vonklaude, 4 might be that magic number, as they're riding in a rhino. a good thought regarding pw/pf in tac squads, more to keep my opponents units occupied for multiple turns, than any plan for winning the cc.

as clt says, shooting the cc stuff is my priority, opposed to worrying about trying to out cc anyone. i don't feel that i can add in much cc that will be solidly reliable. iron clad seems a possibility..

Can anyone convey some ironclad experience to me?

yea clt i've played it a bunch. it's my go to and i keep tweaking back and forth, trying to fit it just so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts