Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a thought I've had under consideration for a while now.

HQ
Servin Loth
Honour Guard; +1 Guard, Chapter Banner, 2 Relic Blades

Troops
Tactical Squad; Heavy bolter, Plasma gun, Combi-plasma
Tactical Squad; Heavy bolter, Plasma gun, Combi-plasma
Tactical Squad; Heavy bolter, Meltagun, Combi-melta
Tactical Squad; Heavy bolter, Meltagun, Combi-melta
Tactical Squad; Heavy bolter, Flamer, Combi-flamer
Tactical Squad; Heavy bolter, Flamer, Combi-flamer

Heavy
Devastator Squad; +5 Marines, 4 Missile Launchers w/Flakk, Combi-Flamer
Devastator Squad; +5 Marines, 4 Plasma cannons, Combi-plasma
Devastator Squad; +5 Marines, 4 Multimelta, Combi-melta

So, the idea behind the Tactical Squads are for them to be the run and gun for objectives. They're a slight change from my normal set up that usually Multimeltas and more Plasma guns instead of Flamers. I figure the change allows more of a variety for whatever the opponent may field.

The Devastator Squads are a bit of Anti-Air, Anti-Armour, and Anti-Infantry with their varying types, the Plasma Squad will most likely run into the field with the Tactical squads, as will the Melta squad. The Missile Squad will camp in the back and change out position as needed for angles on hitting enemy armour or aircraft.

Sevrin Loth allows you to take an Honour Guard and he will run with them as his back up. I plan on running him out in front to take care of challenges as well as other psychers. Since he allows you to pick his powers from one of three disciplines, I plan on using Biomancy as much as possible on him and his unit by way of Warp Speed and Endurance, while using Haemorrhage and possibly Smite on the opponent.

As always, C&C is welcome. Please, share your thoughts.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Given that you're likely always going to drop a WC on making Loth's save 2++ he's going to have a hard time getting powers out, plus being out front he and his squad will take a lot of hits before your enemy moves on to your less than mobile Tacs. I'd drop all the combi-weapons for another Librarian to help with the WC pool so you're not so dependant on a dice roll to make the most of your super Psyker.

Or....just play your other lists. I like them more, but I'm predisposed to dislike FW HQ options. An army needs more than a character to make them feel like something other than vanilla marines to me.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Given that you're likely always going to drop a WC on making Loth's save 2++ he's going to have a hard time getting powers out, plus being out front he and his squad will take a lot of hits before your enemy moves on to your less than mobile Tacs. I'd drop all the combi-weapons for another Librarian to help with the WC pool so you're not so dependant on a dice roll to make the most of your super Psyker.

Or....just play your other lists. I like them more, but I'm predisposed to dislike FW HQ options. An army needs more than a character to make them feel like something other than vanilla marines to me.
Which 'other list' are you referring to? The Crimson Fists list with all the dakka throwing lead left and right?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Any of your other lists really. To be honest it seems like you always have the strong infantry thing going on and are cycling through HQ options and subtle wargear tweaks. I couldn't pick one out unless I comb through the threads we've chatted in, but like I said it's due to my own distaste for FW Characters.

What do you think of dropping all the combi-weapons for a ML2 Libby? 90 points for more reliable casting instead of a bunch of one-shot weapons. Still, you may have a problem against Eldar, Tyranids, or Grey Knights given their stacks if WC dice.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any of your other lists really. To be honest it seems like you always have the strong infantry thing going on and are cycling through HQ options and subtle wargear tweaks. I couldn't pick one out unless I comb through the threads we've chatted in, but like I said it's due to my own distaste for FW Characters.

What do you think of dropping all the combi-weapons for a ML2 Libby? 90 points for more reliable casting instead of a bunch of one-shot weapons. Still, you may have a problem against Eldar, Tyranids, or Grey Knights given their stacks if WC dice.
Yeah, strong infantry is my thing. I'd rather throw lead than have XYZ other options of things. I can definitely live without the combi and throw in a level two Libby. This is, after all, a concept list.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Have you thought about using the FW chapter tactics for Red Scorpions?

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ok, so mulling this over after having my coffee and arriving at work, I've come up with the following;

HQ
Servin Loth
Honour Guard; +1 Guard, Chapter Banner, 2 Relic Blades
Librarian; Level 2, Terminator Armour, Stormbolter, Digital Weapons

Troops
Tactical Squad; Plasma gun
Tactical Squad; Plasma gun
Tactical Squad; Meltagun
Tactical Squad; Meltagun
Tactical Squad; Flamer
Tactical Squad; Flamer

Heavy
Devastator Squad; +5 Marines, 4 Missile Launchers w/Flakk
Devastator Squad; +5 Marines, 4 Plasma cannons
Devastator Squad; +5 Marines, 4 Multimeltas

I believe this clocks in around 1,980 which isn't bad.
Removing the Combi weapons, as well as the Heavy Bolter, from the Tactical Squads opened up a fair amount of points. Since the Tacticals are supposed to be mobile as it is, the Heavy Bolter did nothing but hold them back as it is. At this time, I'm wondering if I should bother with any Special Weapons in the Tactical Squads and free up an additional 80 points that could be used towards something like a 5 man Assault Squad.

***After thought***

I could drop the Stormbolter and Digital Weapons from the Librarian and use that towards a 5 man Sternguard squad as well as dropping the Special Weapons.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts