Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings fellow heretics!

My goal is to have a good looking, elite force that has a low model count. As an eldar veteran, I do like manouvreability and firepower so that definitely affected the unit choices.

Grey Knights Strike Force Atian of the V Brotherhood

Grand Master Atian
Digital weapon, 2 servo skulls, psycannon, rad grenades

Vindicare

10 Terminators
2 psycannons, 3 hammers, 4 halberds, 3 swords

10 Strike Squad Grey Knights
2 psycannons, 2 hammers, 3 halberds, 3 swords

10 Interceptors
2 psycannons, 3 hammers, 3 swords, 2 halberds

Raven
TL lascannon, typhoon missile launcher

Dreadnought
2 TLAC, psybolt ammo

Dreadknight
Hvy incinerator, personal teleporter

The general tactic is to deploy shunters, dreadnought and the vindicare on the table while terminators deep strike and the SS jump from the Raven. I opted for the 48" armament on the Raven so it has reach to its target even though it is flyi g to where yhe SS are needed. I actually did squeeze in every unit I like but I'm at loss on what to do to get those precious (anti-spawn) psybolt ammunitions!

Thanks for the help,
Zakath

·
Registered
303 Posts
Well, you're 20 pts over. So let's start with where to cut costs.

I don't believe in fully kitting out Strike Squads. In essence, they are basic Space Marines with better weapons. They will die like regular Space Marines. Dumping 35 pts on weapons seems like an awful waste if they get shot to pieces.
I don't like phrasing it this way, but the "standard" kit on Strike Squads are: 10 Knights w/ 2 Psycannons, Psybolt (240 pts). Str 5 Bolters on 8 guys is great. 16 shots of those. You can combat squad them as well and the bullets go to both squads. Give them a Rhino if keeping together, or you can give them a Razorback if combat squad-ing (Psycannons sit on midfield objective and Razorback with the rest of the squad can contest objectives or be a mobile fire base.

There was a long-winded explanation on Strike Squads. Terminators look fine (again Psybolt would be great since you are taking a full squad).

Interceptors don't need all the weapons either. I haven't used them personally (so I imagine a Hammer wouldn't hurt) but I imagine you'd use them like Assault Marines so Incinerators would be something to consider. But I'll leave that to someone else.

Grand Masters w/ Psycannons are good, but I don't see the reason to take Digital Weapons or Rad Grenades then. Put him with your Terminators (or Combat Squad the Terminators, half Deep Strike and half in the Raven w/ GM) and get them to midfield to shoot away with. Terminators are good, but I think they're better suited to a tough objective holder (and with Precision Shots from the GM he can pick out heavy weapons and characters). Would recommend Master-Crafting his Psycannon instead of Digi-weapons.

Dreads (Both Noughts and Knights) work better in pairs. Take 2 of one kind.

You said you wanted mobility but you're getting a very hybrid list. Strike Squads are going to be outpaced by Interceptors, Dreadknight, Stormraven and Deep Striking Terminators. Vindicare and Dreadnought aren't even going to be moving.

These are my thoughts though, so always do what you like first

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick and informative reply! Thinking about this again, I can see you know what you're talking about. I guess I can't resist putting some halberds and hammers in there - they just look too good! :p

Grand Master Atian
2 servo skulls, psycannon

Vindicare

10 Terminators
2 psycannons, 3 hammers, 3 halberds, psybolt ammo

10 Strike Squad Grey Knights
2 psycannons, 1 hammer, 3 halberds

10 Interceptors
2 psycannons, 2 hammers, 2 halberds

Raven
TL lascannon, typhoon missile launcher

Dreadnought
2 TLAC, psybolt ammo

Dreadknight
Hvy incinerator, personal teleporter

2000pts
I dropped some weapons from the PAGK and the CC insurance from from my warlord. I fully expect him to get stomped by a bike marine or Flyrant now :)

I can see what you mean by Dreads working well in twos. While I definitely want to keep the Knight, I can't find the points to upgrade the psyfleman into one. Plus I feel he is the ranged anti-tank to ensure my infantry gets to shoot at the passengers instead of the transports (much more efficient use of storm bolters).

Could you elaborate on why you think it is a bad idea to drop the SS from the Raven? I'd like to take the most out of Terminators by deep striking them on the field. Shunters shunting, terminators teleporting and the SS jumping from an aeroplane, I think I should be able to get everything to where I want them.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Thank you for the quick and informative reply! Thinking about this again, I can see you know what you're talking about. I guess I can't resist putting some halberds and hammers in there - they just look too good! :p

I dropped some weapons from the PAGK and the CC insurance from from my warlord. I fully expect him to get stomped by a bike marine or Flyrant now :)

I can see what you mean by Dreads working well in twos. While I definitely want to keep the Knight, I can't find the points to upgrade the psyfleman into one. Plus I feel he is the ranged anti-tank to ensure my infantry gets to shoot at the passengers instead of the transports (much more efficient use of storm bolters).

Could you elaborate on why you think it is a bad idea to drop the SS from the Raven? I'd like to take the most out of Terminators by deep striking them on the field. Shunters shunting, terminators teleporting and the SS jumping from an aeroplane, I think I should be able to get everything to where I want them.

Cheers!
In your current list, the only things that start on the table is your Assassin, Dreadnought, Dreadknight, and Interceptors. Your GM is the only thing that helps your reserve rolls, and he's stuck in reserves.

If your Interceptors are shunting, then they're moving forward. So is your Terminators (DS) and your SS (jumping out of a plane). You're keeping nothing behind. If you put the Strike Squad with a Razorback, then you can keep some in the backfield to hold close objectives, and run the others up in a small tank. Don't forget you can combat squad everything that's 10-man... You could just as easily keep 5 Terminators (plus GM) in a fire squad of 3 Psycannons, and let the other five jump out of the plane if you wanted. Or make two different Deep Strikes.

Have you checked other lists on the forum? My Mordrak-Bomb is kind of one-trick, but it gives you the mobility you want... just with less firepower, more in your face hammers.

Interceptors should run Incinerators, since you want them close. If you're running psycannons, you are playing fire support, and you definitely don't need 2 hammers. I'd probably just go with psyammo and incinerators, and trust to their swords.

Lastly... I love the Vindicaire, but he seems so out of place. He's not a 'pure' GK for your list, and his points could get you all the psyammo you want, or turn a Psyfileman into a Dreadknight.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you, I have much to think about now :) It saddens me that I really got no chance to playtest this thing before any tournaments I attend with it!

Your GM is the only thing that helps your reserve rolls, and he's stuck in reserves.
Uhm, yes... :blush:

Before I make any major rewrites: what should I do vs Eldar for example who have lot of AV 12 transports? Psycannons are ineffective and bolters are simply useless. If I have no Vindicare or psyflemen, how can I bust them open?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
The rending quality of psycannons give them a chance against AV 15. You could also skip the dreadknight for more psyriflemen. Honestly, GKs just don't have a lot of tankbusters. Razorbacks w/ las, psycannon rending, hammers, stormravens...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, here comes the rewrite! I didn't include any free kill po... Razorbacks simply because I liked the idea of a tankless army. Enemy antitank weapons have the Terminators to worry about too, so the Dreadknights arent getting all the attention.

Grand Master
Master-crafted psycannon, 2 servo skulls
- I did go all the shooty way but I'm little concerned about his ability to defen himself should it come to it. Nurgle lords on bike sound pretty scary!

10 Terminators
2 psycannons + swords
3 hammers
3 halberds
2 swords
psybolts
- Ive got 5 guys with two cannons and 1 hammer to deploy with the GM as a midfield firebase / objective holder. The other combat squad has 2 hammers and 2 halberds to help them see through anything they teleport into.

10 SS GK
2 psycannons
Hammer
2 halberds
Psybolts
- They ride in from the reserves aboard the Raven. I got a hammer because I don't like big Wraiths or daemon engines (I guess they vs Spawn too).

10 Interceptors
2 psycannons
2 halberds
2 hammers
Psybolts
-Awesome looking unit that puts the pressure to the enemy. I deploy them on the table, may or may not shunt them on 1st turn and start shooting people (and Rhinos). In addition, these guys can threaten CC to anything so should prove valuable. I wanted cannons over incinerators to free them to move where I wantbthem, not to where the enemy is (you don't see a lot of windriders without cannons either).

Raven
TL lascannon,
Typhoon missile launcher
- Delivers the SS, kills airplanes and pops tanks.

2 Dreadknights
Personal teleporter, hvy incinerator
2x 235
- Now I did it.. They basically share the Interceptors' job but threaten CC better. I just wished they had an option for missile launchers or lascannons or multi-meltas or something!

2000pts on the nose! Can I win with this? At least sometimes? What sdo you think are the hardest match ups?

Thanks for the help, fellows!

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Looks lots like my bomb list, but you're using the GM and a raven to my Mordrak. I like it. I'd still trim points off some of the extra weapons; interceptors aren't really strong enough on their assaults to be sent off monster hunting w/ hammers. They have force weapons anyway, and rending psycannons. I can see falchions for more attacks (but very pricy) and halberds for the init, but not hammers. Use the Dreadknights for monster hunting, like the fluff suggests.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts