Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first Orcs and goblins army list. Please say how to improve it.

Lord
Orc warboss- 195
Light armour, boar, shield, Warboss Umm's best boss 'at, Martog's Best Basha

If possible is it worth upgrading to a black orc?

Heroes
Black Orc Big Boss- 139
BSB, Heavy armour, war banner.

Is a black orc as 'armed to da teef' means he's still a effective fighter. Would putting him on a boar and/or making him a normal Orc worth it?
Orc shaman- 100
Level 2

Goblin shaman- 140
Level 2, Staff of sneaky stealin'

Core
20 Orc boyz- 150
Shields, full command

20 Orc boyz- 170
2 Choppas, full command

10 Orc boyz- 65
Shields, musician

6 Wolf riders- 84
Spears, musician

Identical wolf riders-84

6 Spider riders- 84
musician

20 Night goblins- 114
Hand weapons and shields, 2 fanatics, musician

Identical Night Goblins but one less fanatic- 89

2 times 3 snotling bases- 120

Because of no amnosity and immune to phycolegy they are good shaman units.

Special

2 Spear chukkas- 70

Boar chariot- 80

10 Black orcs- 178
Full command, shields

Rare
3 Trolls (can form 2 units) -120

1982 points total.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Seems a farely balanced list. Good solid units with a bit of speed in chariot, wolf and spider riders. I assume your keeping them together when using them?

In regards to the two blue hero questions what I would do is upgrade the Warboss to a Black Orc, remove his boar and then put him in one of the Orc boys mobs. I assume that Animostity works the same way in the new army book as in the old? i.e. Black Orcs cancell it out? - I don't have a copy of the new one. If it does then putting your Warboss in one of those units will stop that Orc mob from losing those rolls. Plus it makes the unit a whole shit load scarier.

Put the Black Orc Big Boss on a Boar. Don't equip him up with heaps of killy stuff. He's the battle standard waver, use him as a mobile bubble of leadership. He shouldn't be getting into combat. I'd also down grade him to a normal orc and then use the remaining points to beef up the cavalry units or get a magic banner.

And I'm going very well thank you, yourself?:wink:

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
The Warboss, if nothing else, will benefit from being a Black Orc. It's higher leadership, if nothing else, and the option to have heavy armour helps keep him in the fight a little longer. I'd take him off the boar, since there aren't any boar boyz and he won't degrade himself by riding with gobbos. Better to let him lead either the unit of double-fisted choppa boyz, or the Black Orcs. If you have him with regular orcs, DON'T MAKE HIM A BLACK ORC-- he'll kill your own boyz if you fail an animosity check, and it tends to come in the form of a rank more often than not. Sticking him with the Black Orcs, however, makes them a particularly scary unit.

Battle Standard Bearers can't fight with two choppas or a great weapon, so Armed to da Teef is a moot point. Heavy armour and higher leadership again, though, so it's worth it. He'll still die quickly with only heavy armour, and the war banner isn't that good. I'd trade it for Armor of Mork. I've found that works well on my BSB.

The mages look fine to me. The army's a bit light on dispel items, but that's personal preference, really.

I'd fold the unit of 10 boyz into the other units, so you have two units of 25. You'll lose some Boyz getting stuck in from shooting, and you want to start the combat with your full rank bonus if you can help it.

Just so that the odd war machine doesn't pick off two in one shot from the front, I'd make the gobbo cavalry units of five.

Gobbos on foot and the snots look fine to me. Snots aren't that good since swarms kind of got nerfed for 7th ed, but they're effective screens all the same. Just expensive ones. Personally, I like more night gobbos for screens, but again, personal preference. Snots ought to work just as well as a big-ass block of gobbos in gigantic files with two ranks.

Special units seem fine. I like to run big units of Black Orcs, since they attract a TON of stuff their way...offensive magic, shooting, and cavalry charges. As a supporting unit for the big blocks of Boyz though, that should be fine.

Trolls are more of a toss-up. They're more useful for an army with mostly goblins, I think, since they provide some close combat ability. Ld4 and Stupidity REALLY don't mix well, though, and since your general is going to be on his own as it is, and nowhere near where the Trolls likely will be, they'll usually be rolling on their own leadership. If you have the boss walk with a unit, the trolls can keep up and protect a flank. Otherwise, I'd leave 'em at home for more boyz. Three is a good sized unit, though.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Or could you put the BSB bearer on foot, in the troll and unit and use that to hold the center of the line? - or do they test stupidity on their base leadership? - I can't remember its been a while since I checked the rules for stupidity as I played Empire mostly.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
They test on their leadership, or the general's if they're in range. Stupid models always test on their leadership unless they're stupid mounts, in which case they use the rider's leadership. You'd think having someone in the unit would help, but I don't think it does.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Any point chucking the army general in there then or is he better with the boyz. I just imagine that that unit holding the center would be rather formidable.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Lord
Black Orc warboss- 222
Heavy armour, boar, shield, Warboss Umm's best boss 'at, Martog's Best Basha

Heroes
Orc Big Boss- 113
BSB, light armour, boar

Orc shaman- 150
Level 2, 2 dispel scrolls

Goblin shaman- 140
Level 2, Staff of sneaky stealin'

Core
25 Orc boyz- 180
Shields, full command

20 Orc boyz- 205
2 Choppas, full command

5 Wolf riders- 71
Spears, musician

Identical wolf riders-71

5 Spider riders- 71
musician

20 Night goblins- 114
Hand weapons and shields, 2 fanatics, musician

Identical Night Goblins but one less fanatic- 89

2 units of 20 short bow, musician night goblins - 128

Special

2 Spear chukkas- 70

Boar chariot- 80

10 Black orcs- 178
Full command

Rare
3 Trolls (can form 2 units) -120

Total- 1992

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
the only thing i can really say it maybe a DS or 2?

good list otherwise i think

and not to bad yourself?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what's a DS? Anyway what should i do with the spare points, and do i give my shaman protection Goblins bows (extra fire-power to help the shaman) or h/w and shield, for extra protection?

·
Registered
176 Posts
DS = Dispel Scroll. The Goblin units are small, so I'd lean towards bows. They won't achieve a whole lot anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
looks good for the most part. WHereever possible its a good idea to take blackorc characters as they are just harder and give better ld bonus's. Btw if you give the characters on boars u can still join a regular unit, and get all the bonus's.

I would up the BO unit as 10 guys are unlikely to make it to where they need to be if the enemy wants them out of the way.

snotlings have suffered in the latest rules so i would drop them. Better off with savage orcs if you want a unit thats immune to psychology to babysit. however normal orc units are probaby going to do a good enough job.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK so i can add 2 dispel scrolls if i cut 2 points... since my Black Orcs will tend to use their 2 choppas losing their shields wouldn't be a great loss i guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts