Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hokay, so with the new Codex it seems like the big changes to take into account in my list making are the new points costs and the ability to take Tank Commanders to free up EVEN MORE tanks. The idea that I can put an HQ in an Executioner squad and issue orders to enable Split Fire makes me super happy; I always wanted to use them both but never wanted to use them in a squad together.

This list has also been inspired by a recent thread started by @Straken's_Fist, so without further ado:

HQ:

CCS w/ 2x PGs, Chimera

Tank Commander (Warlord) w/ squad of 2x Executioner Tanks (he's in one), both w/ PC sponsons and hull LCs

Troops:

PCS w/ 2x MG, Chimera

20 man IP w/ 2x Flamer, 2x Autocannon

PCS w/ 2x MG, Chimera

SWT w/ 3x PG

Fast Attack:

Vendetta (SWT goes here)

Heavy Support

Punisher w/ hull HB and HB sponsons

Manticore w/ camo netting

Fortification

ADL w/ QG

Inquisitor Detachment

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor - Psyker, Force Sword

This currently comes out to 1970 points, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with the leftovers. Since this is all new I haven't tried out much, I was thinking of stretching the ADL out to cover both 20 man blobs and potentially a pair of Objectives. The Inquisitor will be attached to the IP that controls the QG to capitalize on his BS of 4. The Tank Commander and his Executioners pull support duty with the pair of Punishers, with the Manticore hiding out somewhere safe. I typically face MEQ which is why I went PGs in the SWT embarked in the Vendetta; by the time they get in (potentially through Grav Chute Insertion) I will likely be better off with AP2 over the flamers. I have much love for flamer squads as some people may have noticed from my comments on BA lists, but in my IG games I have found PGs to be awesome coming out of my Vendetta. The three Chimeras go on a swing out wherever it looks best at deployment. I'm contemplating making them all PG squads, but I will have to see how many actual PG models I have. When I got this deal there were a friggin' TON of melta and flamer guys, but not nearly as many PG equipped dudes.

I will need to make the gatling guns for my Punishers, make LC turrets for my Vendetta, and secure a HWT boxed set somewhere along the way but aside from that this list is good to go. I would also like to flush those blobs up to 30 guys each, but that won't be happening until I sell all the old metal Necrons I have as well as all the metal Mordian models that came with this lot. Currently one of those blobs is Mordian models, so there will likely be a little AM hiatus while that shift happens.

I've had some decent luck playing a squad of LRBTs instead of the Punishers, but with one of my buddy's pushing WYSIWYG I have a hard time paying the points for sponsons that will pretty much always will be firing Snap Shots. After I beef the Platoons up to 30 I will be turning toward picking up another pair of LRBTs I think.

Anyway, enough of me typing. Whaddaya think, Heresy?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Drop a plasma from the SWT and take a demo charge instead? Get servo skulls for the inquisitor to limit infiltrators etc.

Take a stormbolter/Heavy stubber to further reduce the chances of losing a weapon you want on tanks.

Without changing your list drastically (id be tempted to work in Pask due to rerolls of 1s to hit and wound on his tank squad, even though you hve a psyker for that) these are little things that add to "quality of life/game".

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you're playing two punishers separately, it might be a good idea to get two inquisitors for prescience (or whatever is the name of the psychic ability that gives you twin linked)
Other than that, it seems to me like a fine list. Don't forget to post how the game went with it.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hokay, so with the new Codex it seems like the big changes to take into account in my list making are the new points costs and the ability to take Tank Commanders to free up EVEN MORE tanks. The idea that I can put an HQ in an Executioner squad and issue orders to enable Split Fire makes me super happy; I always wanted to use them both but never wanted to use them in a squad together.

This list has also been inspired by a recent thread started by @Straken's_Fist, so without further ado:

HQ:

CCS w/ 2x PGs, Chimera

Tank Commander (Warlord) w/ squad of 2x Executioner Tanks (he's in one), both w/ PC sponsons and hull LCs

Troops:

PCS w/ 2x MG, Chimera

PCS w/ 2x MG, Chimera

SWT w/ 3x PG

Fast Attack:

Vendetta (SWT goes here)

Heavy Support

Fortification

ADL w/ QG

Inquisitor Detachment

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor - Psyker, Force Sword

This currently comes out to 1970 points, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with the leftovers. Since this is all new I haven't tried out much, I was thinking of stretching the ADL out to cover both 20 man blobs and potentially a pair of Objectives. The Inquisitor will be attached to the IP that controls the QG to capitalize on his BS of 4. The Tank Commander and his Executioners pull support duty with the pair of Punishers, with the Manticore hiding out somewhere safe. I typically face MEQ which is why I went PGs in the SWT embarked in the Vendetta; by the time they get in (potentially through Grav Chute Insertion) I will likely be better off with AP2 over the flamers. I have much love for flamer squads as some people may have noticed from my comments on BA lists, but in my IG games I have found PGs to be awesome coming out of my Vendetta. The three Chimeras go on a swing out wherever it looks best at deployment. I'm contemplating making them all PG squads, but I will have to see how many actual PG models I have. When I got this deal there were a friggin' TON of melta and flamer guys, but not nearly as many PG equipped dudes.

I will need to make the gatling guns for my Punishers, make LC turrets for my Vendetta, and secure a HWT boxed set somewhere along the way but aside from that this list is good to go. I would also like to flush those blobs up to 30 guys each, but that won't be happening until I sell all the old metal Necrons I have as well as all the metal Mordian models that came with this lot. Currently one of those blobs is Mordian models, so there will likely be a little AM hiatus while that shift happens.

I've had some decent luck playing a squad of LRBTs instead of the Punishers, but with one of my buddy's pushing WYSIWYG I have a hard time paying the points for sponsons that will pretty much always will be firing Snap Shots. After I beef the Platoons up to 30 I will be turning toward picking up another pair of LRBTs I think.

Anyway, enough of me typing. Whaddaya think, Heresy?
I think it's a good list, with only a couple of things i'd mention:

As you probably know morale is important for Guard, but it's absolutely vital to blob guard: The last thing you want is your entire blob destroyed in a sweeping advance, and you don't want it to fall back from taking casualties at that vital moment you are about to take an objective.
I mention this because you absolutely need a priest, commissar or Inquisitor for your second blob, to keep it together. It's fine not bothering with commissars/priests when you are running MSU guard, but for blobs you must. You have an Inquisitor for your first blob, which is fine because he makes them stubborn and is ld10, so I doubt they will be falling back...That said, be careful about putting the Aegis and the blob too close to your table edge just in case you do fall back. It happened to me once, my 30 man blob ran away on the last turn! Unlucky as hell rolling 2 double 6's, but it happens!

I think I will be using commissars less now that they are more risky: On a 1-2 your opponent gets to pick which character snuffs it, which can be really bad if you have valuable characters in your blob. Priests seem really useful now for blobs as if you pass your leadership test on war hymns you can have your entire blob re-rolling to wound in close combat. They also make them fearless, which is generally a good thing, however you cannot go to ground when fearless which would make a priest iffy if you were just a blob gunline hiding behind an Aegis. But all in all that's a minor snag to what I think is a great 25pts investment. Also, Priests make a blob have Hatred so you re-roll to hit in the first round of close combat too. So i'd probably recommend you take a Priest for your second blob with your leftover points.

SWS and plasma: Some guard players dislike taking a lot of plasma, as with our crappy cardboard box armour we have a habit of dying frequently to gets hot! Others say if you are worried about losing 5pt models then you are playing the wrong army! lol Well, both are valid points and it's something to consider. I personally prefer flamers as they are a late game wild card unit that will remove already weakened scoring units from objectives to win you the game at the last moment. That's why I wouldn't bother with plasma: I doubt i'd ever get to use them enough to make their points back at that stage. Also, you may well be in the scenario where you rapid fire them, lose 2 to gets hot, be forced to take a leadership check, and run away! Potentially disastrous. Sure, you'd have to be unlucky for this to happen, but I think it's worth mentioning. I also think 3 flamer templates are going to score the same amount of wounds but with less risk attached and for a big points saving, and they don't care about cover (which is where a lot of the objectives you are trying to clear are based in, right?).
This is all personal preference though.

That's about it really. Other than i'd highly recommend making them 30-man blobs: 20-man blobs are less points efficient, as you are having to invest in a Priest or Commissar, but with 30 or 40-man blobs (I have tried 50 man blobs for the lolz but they are overkill in my experience) you still only need to buy x1 priest or commissar for them, so they get better value the more bodies you pump into them...I'd sell those Nercrons ASAP ;-)

SF

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get servo skulls for the inquisitor to limit infiltrators etc.
Yes. I just left it open in case, since for all the comments I make on SM lists I know very little about the rest of the Imperium's forces. Left that up to yous guys!

Take a stormbolter/Heavy stubber to further reduce the chances of losing a weapon you want on tanks.
All of the vehicles have hull mounted weapons, so already have two for the purposes of Weapon Destroyed results. If I can work in the pintle mounts as well, but there's only so many points I am willing to spend since there are already two options.

If we were talking Vindicators that only have the one weapon I'd be on that for sure.

Without changing your list drastically (id be tempted to work in Pask due to rerolls of 1s to hit and wound on his tank squad, even though you hve a psyker for that) these are little things that add to "quality of life/game".
I'm down for re-rolls, and will try to fit him in. Were you to change it more, what would you do? Totally thankful you didn't just toss out 'buy all these models and you'll be competitive' :laugh:

If you're playing two punishers separately, it might be a good idea to get two inquisitors for prescience (or whatever is the name of the psychic ability that gives you twin linked)
Other than that, it seems to me like a fine list. Don't forget to post how the game went with it.
Prescience is the power off the Divination table that lets you re-roll all failed to hit, the catch it that it's for the squad the psyker is attached to. Can I have infantry joining tank squads...? I know you can mix other units, you just move at your slowest member's pace.

Now for Straken's essay :laugh:

Morale and blobs:

VERY valid. I'm so used to Ld 8/9 that I don't even consider 7 sometimes. The ADL will never be so close I'll fall back right off, and I will see what I can do about increasing the Priests in the squads, I just have to concoct some models. Just not too sure how they work and the codex (hahahaha) that I have is at home, yet to be transferred to my work laptop. The increase to 30 man blobs will happen as soon as I can, potentially I may switch to one 30 man blob with the =I= behind the ADL and more squads in Chimeras floating around.

As for the SWS:

I will playtest the flamers for sure, I love my 4 template squads that I field in my BA army and would love to keep those flames burning with 3 template squads of Guard. As for Gets Hot!, you should always be rolling your rapid fire dice separately for each model firing. No way in hell is one of those guns overheating and killing two of my models, it could very well just be two wounds on one guy. It doesn't always matter, but when it does it bloody well does! :so_happy:

I'll be selling those Necrons, but to be sure I'm currently using them in my small 'cron force. For both AM and Necrons, I have metal models that I want to sell and replace with current plastic ones but in both instances those metal models missing stops me from effectively playing the army! Must....trade....models.....

Thanks for the input guys, this has been awesome. I will be editing this list to reflect my learnings, but for now I must close my store and get my ass on the bus home. New list either tonight or tomorrow between customers. :drinks:

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, forget that last one. I'm likely just going to delete the post after this anyway. Taking into account that I found a Gatling Cannon last night in a corner of the foam the army came in, and that Pask allows for re-rolls on weapons making Snap Shots ever so slightly less annoying, here's a new list with a couple tweaks but is pretty much exactly as these models are made. I also introduced a Commissar as opposed to a second Inquisitor to man the gun, adding the Liber Heresius so I can (potentially anyway) Scout a 20 man blob up if need be. Here we go:

HQ:

Knight Commander Pask w/ 2x LRBTs each armed with hull HBs and sponson HBs (little bit of points filler with the sponsons)

CCS w/ 2x PG, Chimera

Troops:

PCS w/ 2x MG, Chimera

20 man IP w/ 2x Flamers, 2x Autocannons, Commissar

PCS w/ 2x MG, Chimera

20 man IP w/ 2x Flamers, 2x Autocanonns

SWS w/ 3x Flamers

Fast Attack:

Vendetta

Heavy Support:

LR Executioner w/ hull HB, PC sponsons

LR Punisher w/ hull HB, HB sponsons

Fortification:

ADL w/ QG

Inquisitor Detachment:

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor w/ psyker, force sword, liber heresius, 2x skulls

The blob with the Commissar holds the QG, the blob with the Inquisitor potentially infiltrates. SWS in the Valkyrie, Pask kicks it backline with the Manticore, the Executioner and the Punisher work to support the Chimera advance. Comes out to 2001 points.

Any suggestions that we haven't already covered? One day those blobs will be 30 strong, but until then this is where I'm at I think. I would also like to have a Primaris Psyker with my second blob instead of a Commissar, but alas: no model for it just yet.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I love the list tbh. Very similar to what I will be running, except I will take Straken and pump more into bigger blobs. That's about it though. Can't really think of anything else to recommend. Now go play that shit and tell us how it goes!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts