Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just something I was playing with. Critiques/opinions welcome.

Sammael
- on Jetbike

Ravenwing Attack Squadron
- x2 Plasmagun
- Sgt w/ Melta bombs

- x2 Plasmagun
- Sgt w/ Melta bombs

- x2 Plasmagun
- Sgt w/ Melta bombs

- x2 Plasmagun
- Sgt w/ Melta bombs

Deathwing Terminators
- Plasma Cannon
- TH / SS

Deathwing Terminators
- Plasma Cannon
- TH / SS

Deathwing Terminators
- Plasma Cannon
- TH / SS

Contemptor Mortis
- x2 TL Lascannon
- Cyclone Missile Launcher

Contemptor Mortis
- x2 TL Lascannon

Nephilim Jetfighter
- TL Las

2000 pts exactly.

·
Spanner in the works...
5,349 Posts
Hmm, interesting. There are just three issues that this list really has.
1) You kinda need melta. If you change the loadout on two or so Ravenwing Attack Squadrons to melta, then that'll expose the innards of the opponent's transports to all the plasma you're packing.
2) You have little/no anti-air. I'd seek to rectify this (seeing as you're going FW), with either some Hyperios Batteries, or even a Hyperios Whirlwind. The Nephilim certainly isn't designed nor effective for this role.
3) TL Las on your Mortis'? That massively increases their cost, making it a significant blow if you lose them. Personally I'd switch out for Autocannons - you become more flexible without losing too much damage output, whilst reducing overall costs. Also, autocannons match up better with the Cyclones.

I'd also think about Cyclones on the Deathwing, but that's more your call.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm. Good points all.

I can flip out the TL lascannons on both Mortis for Autocannons. They also gain skyfire with their wargear.

Cyclones on the Deathwing are better choices, I just liked the novelty of termiplas.

Dropping the Nephilim gives me 4 attack bikes, each with a MM.

Leaves me 20 points. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The maneuverability of a Landspeeder would be appreciated, certainly. I'm not sure if I like the Darkshroud, however. I could go for a Typhoon.. because let's face it, we always need more missile launchers.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sammael
- on Jetbike

- x2 Plasmagun
- Attack Bike w/ Melta

- x2 Plasmagun
- Attack Bike w/ Melta

- x2 Plasmagun
- Attack Bike w/ Melta

- x2 Plasmagun

Deathwing Terminators
- Plasma Cannon
- TH / SS
- Sgt w/ 2LC

Deathwing Terminators
- Plasma Cannon
- TH / SS
- Sgt w/ 2LC

Deathwing Terminators
- Plasma Cannon
- TH / SS
- Sgt w/ 2LC

Contemptor Mortis
- x2 TL Autocannon

Contemptor Mortis
- x2 TL Autocannon

Ravenwing Support Squadron
- Landspeeder Typhoon

There. This is the current version. Again, 2000 points exactly. I get a mix of weaponry out of the Deathwings; they can drop in on homing beacons, unload with a few storm bolters and/or plasma cannon, then hit with fists, hammers, and claws. Both Contemptors can run double-duty, either as my AA, or just ripping up everything short of a Land Raider. The typhoon plays harassing duty, and Sammael can do the same if I wanted, or run him in one of the bike squads.

So much plasma! I love it. I wish I had the points for a Vengeance just to run with the theme, but I'm good with the Typhoon.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Sammael
- on Jetbike
Solid.

- x2 Plasmagun
- Attack Bike w/ Melta

- x2 Plasmagun
- Attack Bike w/ Melta

- x2 Plasmagun
- Attack Bike w/ Melta

- x2 Plasmagun
I'd probably take that last squad with Meltaguns, because I'm paranoid like that and I'm kinda still in 5th.

Deathwing Terminators
- Plasma Cannon
- TH / SS
- Sgt w/ 2LC

Deathwing Terminators
- Plasma Cannon
- TH / SS
- Sgt w/ 2LC

Deathwing Terminators
- Plasma Cannon
- TH / SS
- Sgt w/ 2LC
According to the most recent FAQ, Sergeants cannot upgrade their Power Sword/Storm Bolter. I'd just take out the Claws completely to increase your shooting power and give you a bigger combat focus on rocks (Claws are anti-chaff, Fists and Hammers are anti-monster/Terminator, stick to one).

Contemptor Mortis
- x2 TL Autocannon

Contemptor Mortis
- x2 TL Autocannon
Nice, dunno the points of these things but I'd stick Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons on instead.

Ravenwing Support Squadron
- Landspeeder Typhoon
Not enough vehicle saturation to be worth it. Personally, I'd find the points for a Darkshroud to increase your survivability.

Midnight

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A Contemptor in the design that I've stated is 200 points per Dreadnought. Upgrading to a pair of Kheres would be an additional 15 points per. The Darkshroud is 5 points above the Typhoon, bare bones. I'm not really a fan of it; there's just too much that eats cover lately, in my opinion. I'd rather drop the Typhoon, strap in a 4th MM attack bike (therefore also addressing the melta guns on that 4th squad of bikes), and find a use for the extra points left over. Though honestly, I really do like the typhoon as a mobile firing base. If it manages even a single kill and detracts some fire, that'd be great.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are people's thoughts on Plasma Cannon contemptors? Plasma seems to be the theme this army is moving too right now...

if I take Midnight's advice, I'm gonna drop the Typhoon, and add the 4th MM Attack Bike, giving me 20 points. Which lets me upgrade both Contemptors to throwing Plasma Cannons around. More AP2 is always nice, the entire army could rip through it's mated Deathwing list.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
18 Posts
From my experience playing Deathwing, Plasma cannons are kinda hit/miss weapons. Sure you won't be dying to gets hot very much with vengeful strike/2+ armor saves but the scatter can really screw you over.

You want an alpha strike with deep striking DW that is both reliable and can put the hurt on whatever you're shooting at that turn. When all your PC shots land on target and annihilate the entire squad of marines it's beautiful, but when your shots scatter all over the place? Not so beautiful.

Assault cannons/CMLs are much better in my opinion, especially since you have so much plasma going on for you with the RW and possibly dreads. Plus you have the option of RW Black Knights if you need even more plasma.

That being said, if you're playing against Death/Logan/Draigowing armies and are talioring to suit or you just like chucking plasma around then go for it! We are the First Legion after all. :grin:

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As much as I'd like to run all the DW squads with CMLs, it's a points issue at this point. Basing off the last list I posted, the points are pretty damn tight. If I drop the Typhoon (which seems to be the plan right now), I have enough points to upgrade the Plasma Cannons on the DW squads to CMLs... however, I would rather add the 4th MM Attack Bike first, at which point I would only have the points to upgrade 2 of those squads. I tend to be a little detail oriented, and I like symmetry; having 2 CMLs and one PC squad would bother me and make me worry about losing the single PC.

I'll probably keep the TLACs on the 2 contemptors, because it also helps dealing with anti-air, as right now those are my only units for that. But it leaves me 20 points that I can't really find a home for.

Sammael
- on Jetbike

- x2 Plasmagun
- Attack Bike w/ Melta

- x2 Plasmagun
- Attack Bike w/ Melta

- x2 Plasmagun
- Attack Bike w/ Melta

- x2 Plasmagun
- Attack Bike w/ Melta

Deathwing Terminators
- Plasma Cannon
- TH / SS
- Sgt w/ 2LC

Deathwing Terminators
- Plasma Cannon
- TH / SS
- Sgt w/ 2LC

Deathwing Terminators
- Plasma Cannon
- TH / SS
- Sgt w/ 2LC

Contemptor Mortis
- x2 TL Autocannon

Contemptor Mortis
- x2 TL Autocannon

·
Registered
18 Posts
Fair enough mate! Your army, your weapons! Besides if your scatter dice love you, PCs are awesome.

Just a side note - The most recent FAQ prevents your sarge from taking anything other then a Stormbolter/Powersword. You can't have a 2 LC sarge anymore.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, it took me a couple of passes to realize the difference; that even though it says 'any model' they specify the power fist. That rather sucks. On the other hand, more firepower is NEVER bad.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Question with this list:

I'm not very familiar with how the Black Knights or the RW Command squads perform. Would anyone consider dropping one of the Bike Sqads and giving Sammael a speartip to ride in with?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rather than starting a new thread, I've created a new list for this force, and I need some assistance. I've gone and updated it, without any Forge World, so that no one could say anything about it in any environment.

Sammael
- Jetbike

RW Attack Squad
- 2+1, x2 Plasma
- Attack Bike w/ MM

RW Attack Squad
- 2+1, x2 Plasma
- Attack Bike w/ MM

RW Attack Squad
- 2+1, x2 Plasma
- Attack Bike w/ MM

RW Attack Squad
- 2+1, x2 Plasma
- Attack Bike w/ MM

DW Terminator Squad
- Plasma Cannon

DW Terminator Squad
- Plasma Cannon

DW Terminator Squad
- Plasma Cannon

Nephilim Jetfighter
- TL Lascannon

Nephilim Jetfighter
- TL Lascannon

Total: 1925

So it's basically the same army as before, but instead of using the Contemptors, I put in completely legal Nephilims to act as both anti-air and anti-armor. This leaves us with 75 points, and I have a few ideas there:

1. one Typhoon Landspeeder. Adds a few mobile missiles, but kinda fragile.
2. upgrading my three Plasma Cannons to Cyclone Hamminators. I lose no shooting, gain the CMLs, and the Shields, and Hammers. Probably my favorite config... but honestly, I really do like the Plasma theme on this army.
3. removing one of the Attack Squads and install a squad of Black Knights, or an RW Comm Squad... in which case, I need some opinions on how to kit it out.

Any thoughts?

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Ravenwing Command Squad goes one of two ways - Standard of Devastation or Ravenwing Company Standard. Which one depends entirely on how much money you have in the bank. Throw in an Apothecary and 2 additional dudes and you're sorted.

I'd say you should probably take a Darkshroud, it'd help with the low model count (don't bother with the Assault Cannon, it's always going to be Flat Outing 1" for a 2+ cover save).

Midnight

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd need to find 5 points for the Darkshoud, but I've never really been sold on it; so much seems to ignore cover right now. Is it really that useful? Similarly, removing one Attack Squad and putting in a Command Squad would cost too many points, with 6 bikers. I'd need to find a lot more points.

Personally, I'm considering upgrading each DW squad to 2 Chainfists, and a Cyclone Hamminator.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts