Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
That kit is probably one of the coolest kits GW has come out with IMHO. I've wanted them since first seeing them, but I tend to not buy models without having a place in a list for them. I've play-tested it using the models I used to play as Stormtroopers in the previous edition, but they haven't grabbed me. It's exceptionally rare for me to even think about the Elites section of the AM Codex. Were I to get them I would likely use the models to build up my Inquisitor's warband over using them as Scions, with the extra bits showing up for flavour in my Guard.
I've even thought about building whole veteran units with scion models, since they look cool and have carapace armor. But it's way too expensive.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
a place in a list for them.
I've played a fair bit with scions now and what I've found that they are good for are point assassination (Guard command squads, eldar farseers, lone power armoured marines and small hive nodes) and breaking up an enemy advance (teleporting into enemy rear and flanks to force a decision. My current 1500 point play list is:

Command squad with all advisors and four plasma (the relentless warlord trait, when I get it, is how I move and shoot the MoO)
Lord Commissar (in the command squad) with plasma pistol and power sword
Primaris Psyker (usually in the command squad) ML1

5 Scion command with 2 plasmas, vox, medkit
5 scions with vox, 2 volley guns
3 Bullgryns with slabshields

Veteran Squad with Grenadiers, Forward Scouts, 3 plasma guns
Veteran Squad with Grenadiers, FS, 3 Plasma guns

Vulture gunship with twin linked punisher cannons

Leman Russ Executioner with HB and plasma cannon sponsons

The list is thematic, temperamental and liable to extinguish itself with gets hot and perils, but when it works it is magnificent.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I've played a fair bit with scions now and what I've found that they are good for are point assassination (Guard command squads, eldar farseers, lone power armoured marines and small hive nodes) and breaking up an enemy advance (teleporting into enemy rear and flanks to force a decision. My current 1500 point play list is:

Command squad with all advisors and four plasma (the relentless warlord trait, when I get it, is how I move and shoot the MoO)
Lord Commissar (in the command squad) with plasma pistol and power sword
Primaris Psyker (usually in the command squad) ML1

5 Scion command with 2 plasmas, vox, medkit
3 Bullgryns with slabshields

Veteran Squad with Grenadiers, Forward Scouts, 3 plasma guns
Veteran Squad with Grenadiers, FS, 3 Plasma guns

Vulture gunship with twin linked punisher cannons

Leman Russ Executioner with HB and plasma cannon sponsons

The list is thematic, temperamental and liable to extinguish itself with gets hot and perils, but when it works it is magnificent.
That's a lot of points in a single squad. No chimeras, even vets footslog? How do you manage to make them effective? With that many plasma and non-embarked command squad - maybe consider taking Kurov's Aquila for rerolling those 1s to hit and to wound: though expensive, it's gotta be very useful. Not sure how it works with transports though, do you just measure 6" from the hull, or this item doesn't work at all when command squad is embarked...

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
No, no chimeras. These guys are ruins rats. Forgot to add that the command squad has camo cloaks. The premise of the army is that it hides in ruins for the first turn or two, taking opportunity shots or massing firepower at approaching enemy and scouts. Then the scions come down and break something valuable of the enemy's behind their advance. Once their advance is disrupted, the Vulture comes in and destroys a unit a turn, with help from the infantry. The tank (also camo kit) is to be big and scary and actually do a lot of the killing.

The falldown of the list is that it can't take on AV14, so land raiders spell bad news. Ignores cover weapons also cause me a massive headache.

Yes, the command squad is a big target, but it's shielded by bullgyns, hiding in ruins (so looking at a 2+ cover save now) and has flank support from the infantry squads. The Psyker is then dishing out divination to where-ever it needs to be whilst the tank tries to fry elite units from the enemy advance.

Sorry to hijack your thread!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
No, no chimeras. These guys are ruins rats. Forgot to add that the command squad has camo cloaks. The premise of the army is that it hides in ruins for the first turn or two, taking opportunity shots or massing firepower at approaching enemy and scouts. Then the scions come down and break something valuable of the enemy's behind their advance. Once their advance is disrupted, the Vulture comes in and destroys a unit a turn, with help from the infantry. The tank (also camo kit) is to be big and scary and actually do a lot of the killing.

The falldown of the list is that it can't take on AV14, so land raiders spell bad news. Ignores cover weapons also cause me a massive headache.

Yes, the command squad is a big target, but it's shielded by bullgyns, hiding in ruins (so looking at a 2+ cover save now) and has flank support from the infantry squads. The Psyker is then dishing out divination to where-ever it needs to be whilst the tank tries to fry elite units from the enemy advance.

Sorry to hijack your thread!
No sweat :) Now I see, massed cover and ruins-camping. Maybe arm one unit of scions with meltas? Command squad can take FOUR. At least they'll be capable to take on AV14. Hull lascannon on executioner is pretty good too, for only 10 pts, and helps to put some wounds on any target, suitable for a plasma tank.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts