Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I swear. One of these days I'll start Grey Knights. I'm trying to build a 'balanced', all around, all comers army list to use as a starting point, with a little bit of everything in it.

Grand Master - Soul Glaive, Incinerator, Melta Bombs

Terminator Squad x6 - Psycannon/Sword, Hammer, 4 swords, meltabombs

Terminator Squad x6 - Psycannon/Sword, Hammer, 4 swords, meltabombs

Purifiers - 2 Incinerators, 1 Hammer, 2 Sword, Razorback w/ TLLas

Stormraven Gunship - Lascannons/MM

Dreadknight - PT, Greatsword/Fist, Incinerator

Dreadknight - PT, Greatsword/Fist, Incinerator

Aegis w/ Comms

Inquisitor - BP/CCW, x3 Servo Skulls

Henchmen - Psyker, 3 Heavy Bolter Servitors

Knight Errant

2000/2000

Raven zooms around with the Purifiers and the Grand Master, who adds fire, uses the Soul Glaive bonus for the Nova for the unit, and tanks.

Lasback hides with the Aegis unit, which gets to try and Prescience those heavy bolters as needed just for some back-field weight of fire.

Terminators drop in and cause random havoc, as do the Dreadknights.

And Knight Errant. Because Giant melta robot.

ps. @ntaw

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
This is a ridiculous list. I so want a Knight, but I think I'd do the gatling + battle cannon one. That melta cannon though....so glorious.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a ridiculous list. I so want a Knight, but I think I'd do the gatling + battle cannon one. That melta cannon though....so glorious.
So... that's good, right? :)

I own two knights. One is custom-painted as Grey Knights, with a Destroyer Chain blade and a ranged weapon that could 'count as' any of the three Knight main guns. My second knight is fully magnetized, with a Battle Cannon, force sword (it was for Thousand Sons) and TWO of the Avenger gatling cannons (because it looked too cool NOT to make the conversion).

But Grey Knights seem to lack the anti-tank more than anything, so....

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I agree, GK need the anti-armour added. Any chance you could find some points for some better weapons on those Servitors....like plasma cannons?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not easily. I've got 15 points floating around right now in the form of Melta Bombs, but that only upgrades one Servitor. The rest of the spare points are actually now in the Razorback. That's actually something I wasn't really a fan of, but it made sense to have a small bit of mobile firepower with some anti-tank available.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally I was using a Librarian. The GM was suggested to 'tank' for the purifiers. Adds an extra flamer, and the Soul Glaive, once active, causes rerolls for the Nova.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Yeah I guess the only other thing you could cut is the comms relay. I don't know if it would be worth it, but I certainly enjoy my Executioners with guard and Servitors fire with the same capacity.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I just started dabbling in Steel Host lists, once I learned about it. go take a look. :)

As much as I like the idea of Twin-Linked plasma because of the Psyker, there's just no points sadly. The Comm Relay is there specifically to make sure that I get those Terminators in first turn, and my Raven second turn.

What I COULD do is drop the Razorback and expand the Henchmen squad a bit more... run Plasma Cannons, maybe some space-monkeys (which give me Lascannon-style weapons from their digi-guns), etc.

EDIT: I'm still trying to decide on the weaponry on the Dreadknight. Someone suggested ditching the Heavy Psycannons, which gave me the points for the razorback. Is that a better use of them?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Someone suggested ditching the Heavy Psycannons, which gave me the points for the razorback. Is that a better use of them?
I really like the HPs on the DKs. You're effectively trading 12 S7 AP4 shots (or two large blasts) from two different units for one TL'd S9 AP2 shot from a much more delicate chassis.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really like the HPs on the DKs. You're effectively trading 12 S7 AP4 shots (or two large blasts) from two different units for one TL'd S9 AP2 shot from a much more delicate chassis.
I guess the thought here was also opportunity cost. I'm with you on the Psycannons, but if they're unloading with the HPs, you're probably not using the Incinerators, or you're flaming the same target. With the Razorback you technically get THREE targets... 2 with flames and a third for anti-tank.

Make sense? I can see both sides. I'm not a fan of a Razorback, so I don't need much convincing....

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I see what you're saying. Maybe the incinerator is a good solo ranged weapon for the DK and the two projectile weapons are the better pair since they can both be effective on the same turn. I mean hey, if you're close enough to flame why not charge in?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, the HI is Torrent, so you may be outside of charge range.

So do you think I should use both, to unload both guns and charge and just hope everything dies? Or keep the razorback firing at random other targets while the Dreadknights burn and stab?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Well shit. Never noticed that the HI was a torrent weapon (though I am just getting into them now really). Thanks!

Since this is really pedantic why not just play two games against the same list and swap this small option for each game, see which one actually works better? Some things look great on paper but then battle happens, if you know what I mean.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts