Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently decided to start an IG army and after quite a bit of reading I came up with the following list at 2k... I would greatly appreciate some feedback as to what is good / bad about it, what should be changed / kept the same, or even if I am completely missing the point of some units. Thanks in advance.

Company Command Squad (HQ) @ 110 Pts <Goes in Valkyrie, hunts armor>
Meltagun (x4); Krak Grenades
Company Commander
Plasma Pistol; Krak Grenades; Melta Bombs

Company Command Squad (HQ) @ 110 Pts <Goes in Valkyrie, hunts armor>
Company Commander
Plasma Pistol; Krak Grenades; Melta Bombs

6 Psyker Battle Squad (Elites) @ 135 Pts
Overseer
Chimera
Hull Heavy Flamer; Turret Multilaser

5 Ratling Squad (Elites) @ 50 Pts <Hopefully goes in cover, hunts MC>

Veteran Squad (Troops) @ 125 Pts <Goes in Vendetta, hunts heavy infantry>
Plasma Guns (x3)
Veteran Sergeant
Plasma Pistol

Veteran Squad (Troops) @ 195 Pts <Goes in Chimera, hunts armor>
Meltagun (x3); Melta Bombs; Demolition Charge
Veteran Sergeant
Plasma Pistol; Melta Bombs
Chimera

Veteran Squad (Troops) @ 180 Pts <Goes in Chimera, hunts heavy infantry>
Plasma Guns (x3)
Veteran Sergeant
Plasma Pistol
Chimera

Veteran Squad (Troops) @ 140 Pts <Goes in Chimera, caps objective, or hunts mobs>
Flamer (x3)
Veteran Sergeant
Chimera

Valkyrie Assault Carrier Squadron (Fast Attack) @ 130 Pts <Hunts infantry>
Multi-Laser; Multiple Rocket Pods (2)

Valkyrie Assault Carrier Squadron (Fast Attack) @ 130 Pts <Hunts infantry>

Vendetta Gunship Squadron (Fast Attack) @ 130 Pts <Hunts light armor>
TL Lascannon; TL Lascannon (2)

Manticore Rocket Launcher (Heavy Support) @ 160 Pts <Goes in corner or cover, hits everything>
Hull Heavy Bolter

Manticore Rocket Launcher (Heavy Support) @ 160 Pts <Goes in corner or cover, hits everything>
Hull Heavy Bolter

Leman Russ Executioner (Heavy Support) @ 240 Pts <Hunts heavy infantry>
Pintle Heavy Stubber; Hull Heavy Bolter; Plasma Cannon Sponsons

Models in Army: 72

Total Army Cost: 1995

I have also toyed with the idea of dropping a CCS and one of the Vet squad Chimeras (the vets would go in the empty Valkyrie) to add a Daemonhunters Inquisitor Lord with CCW/Bp and 3x Mystics (65pts) and a Callidus Assassin (120 pts) tho I would need to find 15 more points to scrap.

Which option would lend itself to the better all-comers army?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
That is not a bad list at all. Nice work.

If it was me however, i'd drop all the plasma pistols and the stubber from the Executioner.

The plasma pistols are ok, but are not reliable enough for me and firing the stubber at any squad with the Executioner will just allow the enemy to allocate any wounds from said stubber to models they want to keep alive like power fists, etc. I would also swap the heavy bolter for either a lascannon or heavy flamer.

I would give the Valkyrie's heavy bolters as they will be hunting infantry and another six shots each is nothing to sniff at.

I suppose you could give one plasma vet squad a plasma pistol and maybe grenadiers doctrine to give them a better chance of surviving an overheat.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
If you want to go with the Inq/Retinue just drop some of the PP's, especially in the CCS's...seen as they have Meltas.

As bishop5 said, drop the Stubber.

HF's are better on Manticores, the HB won't kill much on a single unit, plus the HF will give you some protection from enemy that gets close.

The HB's actually work better on the Vendettas rather than Valkyries because they restrict the latter's movement..the Vendetta will only be moving 6" anyway most times, not so the Valks.

I don't like putting early-game Units in Vendettas because it puts them in harm's way to early in the game for my liking, so I transport late-game units like SWS with Flamers/Demo in them, and use it as a Gunship for the first few turns when the 3 t/l Lascannons have a target rich environment.

I think the PSB should be larger, at least to S8, because they aren't that hard to kill, and once you lose some the Blast strength decreases to the point it's ineffective..so extra wounds are needed to keep it a viable unit for longer.

With get's hot I take my chances..Doctrines are too expensive, for Vets anyway. If I give my CCS's Plasma I take Carapace..it's cheaper that way.

Overall a very nice list, just some tweaks..best of luck with it:wink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
it's good, but i think you should try to get more models in there. seriously. I've played against a 2k list, almost like yours, and i won with a significant difference in points. but i like your tanks. gj. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First of thanks for all of your help.

Having revised the list a bit:

CCS 100 Pts <Valk - tanks>
Company Commander
Krak Grenades; Melta Bombs

CCS 100 Pts <Valk - tanks>
Company Commander
Krak Grenades; Melta Bombs

9 Psyker Battle Squad (Elites) @ 165 Pts <blast fearless, screw LD for others>
Overseer
Chimera (Multilaser, Hull Heavy Flamer)

5 Ratling Squad (Elites) @ 50 Pts <MCs>

Veteran Squad (Troops) @ 125 Pts <Vendetta - TEQ/MEQ>
Plasma Guns (x3)
Veteran Sergeant
Plasma Pistol

Veteran Squad (Troops) @ 185 Pts <Chimera - Tanks>
Meltagun (x3); Melta Bombs; Demolition Charge
Veteran Sergeant
Melta Bombs

Veteran Squad (Troops) @ 180 Pts <Chimera - TEQ/MEQ>
Plasma Guns (x3)
Veteran Sergeant
Plasma Pistol

Veteran Squad (Troops) @ 140 Pts <Chimera - Objectives/GEQ>
Flamer (x3)

Valkyrie Assault Carrier Squadron (Fast Attack) @ 130 Pts

Valkyrie Assault Carrier Squadron (Fast Attack) @ 130 Pts

Vendetta Gunship Squadron (Fast Attack) @ 130 Pts

Manticore Rocket Launcher (Heavy Support) @ 160 Pts <pie plates for fun>
Hull Heavy Flamer

Manticore Rocket Launcher (Heavy Support) @ 160 Pts <pie plates for fun>
Hull Heavy Flamer

Leman Russ Executioner (Heavy Support) @ 245 Pts <TEQ/MEQ>
Hull Lascannon; Plasma Cannon Sponsons

Is this more on target?

Also, do I have too much TEQ/MEQ hate and not enough horde/GEQ or tank killing?

Are the melta bombs on the CCS and the demolitions doctrine on the vets worth it? I'm envisioning APC/Valk drops the squad off, squad goes melta happy and blows up a tank, and sits there all thru the opponents turn. Now I can see the meltabombs being amazing as a counter to being tank shocked, but offensively I'm starting to doubt my choice there.

And finally, do I have the correct squads matched up with the right transports? Or am I mixing up what should be where/with whom?

Thanks again for all of your help.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Looks very good to me.
Only you would know if you have the right mix of weapons to fight the armies you face in your area..I have as much Plasma as you do because I face a ton of MEQ/TEQ lists, and sometimes would like more even...plus I don't like all-Melta period.

Melta Bombs I will buy if I have points spare, but the only Doctrine I ever take is Carapace Armour for my Plasma CCS. In the end stuff like Krak/PP's/most Doctrines should only be taken if you consider that the Units you could afforded for those same points are actually worth taking in the first place. For example you have approximately 50 pts which would get you a second Unit of Ratlings..up to you to decide what you'd rather take.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
are ratlings bad? I thought that BS4 snipers were supposed to be worth taking?

and is Marbo really that good? I was hoping to keep a mechanized list... tho I guess Marbo for sniper space hobbits still leaves one squad without a plastic coffin ... errr I mean armored transport.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
are ratlings bad? I thought that BS4 snipers were supposed to be worth taking?
I don't rate them much at all really, but it's not my list. If you want Sniper Rifles Ratlings are the ones to take to get them, so at least you haven't wasted any Vet SW slots to field them..that would be a travesty.

and is Marbo really that good? I was hoping to keep a mechanized list... tho I guess Marbo for sniper space hobbits still leaves one squad without a plastic coffin ... errr I mean armored transport.
I don't take him in competitive lists so much but at least you don't need to build a large portion of your army around him for him to shine, which is what is required of some characters. He has some nifty abilities..Stealth, move through cover, BS5 so his Demo Charge will usually hit, and can pop up anywhere you want to put him, so He often wipes out his intended target but then dies shortly after.

Like with most Characters/wargear in the Codex only take him if you have the points spare..and for me that means I've performed a Forensics Accounting analysis of my list to ensure every Unit is at maximum efficiency capability:biggrin:.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts