Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing around with different empire lists and this is what I have currently. I'd be grateful for input.

Lords (415)

Arch Lecter. Dawn armour and shield.

Wizard Lord. Level 4. Grey Wand. (Not sure what lore. Prolly life)

Heroes (100)

Captain. Armour of Meteoric Iron. BSB

Core (523, not including swordsmen detachment)

40 halberdiers. Full command.
Detachment of 15 swordsmen

18 Flagellants with prophet of doom

11 hand gunners. Marksman with long rifle.

Special (570)

19 Great swords. Full command

2 Cannons

2 Mortars

And a Steam Tank

AL and BSB go with greatswords and wizard with hand gunners (which doesn't seem great).

I'm mostly happy with how it looks, though I have a few niggling concerns, as follows:

- No magic weapons. Magic might be enough but I only have one wizard and the AL for this.

- Placement of the wizard. He doesn't want to be in combat, obviously, but looks vulnerable in the hand gunner unit, as well as immobile. I could drop a mortar and a handgunner and have 10 archers for him to run around with, but the mortar seems a lot better than the archers. Alternatively, It could be the hand gunners I drop, to take archers plus some kind of magic weapon. Or he could ride around with some fast cavalry, or all kinds of other things.

- I'm not sure if the AL is the best choice of general, but he seems to be. 2 extra dispel dice (faq says nothing about taking these away) and rerolls to hit for the greatswords seems like a good deal. Shame he won't win any prizes in combat, but there isn't a lot of competition on that score and maybe his unit will make up for it.

- The flagellants aren't a huge unit but I think they should be useful. They are a likely target for flesh to stone, and handy as a unit that doesn't rely on the general's LD. It also looks like a unit of <20 core troops to stick in a watch tower will be handy in that scenario, so it will be useful to have a unit able to fit inside.

Anyway the basic theme is there. Quite a lot of infantry with artillery support and a stank to drive into the biggest thing I see coming in the other direction. Think it will work?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hmm interesting list but i don;t like the fact it kinda small, you do have a big block of Halberds that not too bad, though honestly in huge block i find spearmen work out better. Personally I've lost all interest in flagellants with the new edition, I think it due to the fact I now more often than not find those points a better use. Now I like your special choices though if I was you I'd try to beef those greatswords to a nice 24 (25 if u decide not to put a character in) other than that I find it nice I myself play a good deal of mortars to reduce my enemies body count. For me the steam tank is a awesome choice but for slightly bigger games, for 2000pts matches though i feel those points are needed else where. Lord and Heroes are always a nice interesting lot, but I always enjoy Wizard lord on a Flying Horsey so he can always be near where i need him the most. Arch Lectors i am not a fan of unless on the War Altar and even then still hard for me to take him over a wizard lord. I prefer a General of the empire more he slightly cheaper and you can do wonders with him. All in all I think it a viable list just small, I've played a few 8th ed games and personally I think all empire should at least take one big daddy block of spearmen. Either way i hope it all works out and you crush some heads:biggrin:

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
I think that the strength of empire in 8th will be based on artillery. With the new FAQ steam tanks just got insanely good, and lots of large blocks of infantry, no partials and the removal of guess range means that mortars and the hellstorm rocket batterie will be incredibly important.

Big blocks of halberdiers with swordsman detatchments will do well for you since the halberdiers will be stubborn through most things and the swordsmen wil remove the enemy rank bonus... but that'll only help against weak units. Anything strong will be killing so many men that you'll be relying on that stubborn (which wont last long). So I wouldnt rely on them for dealing damage.

The massive bonus Empire get is their cavalry- I would be including a unit of 15 cav as a standard in 8th: its core, has 2 ranks and will do some nice damage. Its also quite cheap. They also keep a 2+ save against even S4 weaponry... so are a good unit to throw in as a tarpit (and if they do break should escape)- if you want to make them really nasty then throw in a lord with one of the bonus strength magic weapons (I used to just go with a lance on cav characters.... but 8th will see a lot of prolonged combats).

·
Registered
126 Posts
The above advise is solid, but I have two things to add here. First, being a sneaky jerk I hate to run any empire list without Von Horstman's speculum on basic principle. I would take out the Arch Lector and replace him with a normal warrior priest with the speculum. Your losing one dispell dice, but it will give you some points back to spend on other things. I just dont feel like the arch lector gives you much benefit over a normal WP.

I am also very fond of running a captain on a pegasus with the casket of sorcery. I use him for hunting war machine crews (which will be even more important this edition), and making sure wizards arent running around the battlefield causing problems. The casket is also better this edition in my opinion, because the oportunity to steal any of the #6 spells in a lore is huge. Im keeping my fingers crossed that my captain will turn himself into a dragon some day. You would have to come up with the points, but if you have never used one before, I would suggest testing it out in a friendly game or two. Just thinking about stealing a few of those spells is making me have a nerdgasm.

As far as cavalry go, I would probably not bring them, simply because of the points cost. Personally I like to run knights, but I think that the 8th ed rules hurt them more than they helped, and in order to put in a unit large enough to be really deadly something else would have to be dropped. If you have the models replacing the greatswords with a large unit of knights of the white wolf might not be a bad option, but that would be a pretty significant change on the style of the army.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts