Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While the new Codex has brought some interesting changes, it hasn't affected my love of bone coloured terminators teleporting onto the battlefield in their never ending search for the fallen and redemption. This is my current Deathwing Redemption Force contents:

Belial - TH/SS

Deathwing Command Squad - 3x TH/SS, CML, Apothecary, Champion

5x Deathwing Knights

5x Deathwing Terminators - PC, CF

5x Deathwing Terminators - PC, CF

1130 points. With the 870 points left to make 2k, I've come up with several options from my Blood Angel, Imperial Guard, and Necron collections that should be able to survive a turn on the board as well as provide some solid support for the DW assault (which I assure you, will be T2).

Baal Strike Force Detachment - Drop Pods and Sanguinary Guard

Baal Strike Force Detachment - Drop Pods and a Land Raider

Combined Arms Detacment - IG tanks w. Inquisitor (6 points short of 870)

Mephrit Dynasty Detachment - my modest 'Cron collection sees the table-top!

Personally I'm thinking either the first or third options are the best. What are your thoughts and tweaks, Heresy?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Both BA options seem like they'd survive well. I'd pick the one with the Sang Guard and cover the board in either mobile or deepstriking 2+ saves. But honestly the Pask Punisher is just a sexy thing of beauty. Especially when paired with a plasmacutioner. I know you're a BA player mainly, but I think I'd like to see some puny humans getting rescued by some Dark Angels. It totally forges it's own narrative.

Of course if it were me I'd run the Steel Host with Pask/Plasmacutioner, 3 Eradicators, and that stupid Hydra that you have to take... but we have different tastes and tanks make me want to touch myself in my no-no parts.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I absolutely love the whole 'Angels of Death' thing (because: Slayer) but Guard and DW is my next favourite. I also kinda like Necrons being engaged with a Chaos incursion on one of their worlds and the DW teleporting in independently to extract a suspected member of the Fallen :grin:

I agree though, the list with the SG and the Pask list are my two most solid options. Unfortunately I don't have the tanks to accommodate your other idea there, but I too am a lover of the mechanized assault. Recently it's been hiding while I play smaller games that only feature a couple Furiosos and some transports, but soon...soon my tanks will crush all....

Heck, I just posted a list option that had a land raider in it. Last time I played a raider was over a year ago, and in a game I thought I was sure to lose.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Skyhammer Annihilation Force!

that's right. I said it.

Another option could be 2 squads of GK Terminators, a Librarian (or even bother captain), and either a Dreadknight or some Interceptors.

Honestly though, of your choices, I like the first one.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Skyhammer Annihilation Force!
Ha! That's the one with the dual 10 man Devastator and Assault squads right? I unfortunately don't have 20 jump marines made up :blush: ...the new BA codex came out and stymied my efforts in stripping/reassembling the last few models.

Another option could be 2 squads of GK Terminators, a Librarian (or even bother captain), and either a Dreadknight or some Interceptors.
I have theorized using my lone squad of GK termies with their Libby leadership along with some assassin assistance, but ultimately felt it left a bit too little on the board. The rest of the goodies you suggested there are tempting to my mind but not to my wallet. Off the top of my head, my GK based ally to this list was:

Libby - ML3, Hammer

5x GK Terminators - 3x Halberds, Hammer, Stave, Incinerator

Vindicare Assassin

ADL - QG

Inquistor - Servo Skulls, ??

Henchment Warband - ??

With the Inq/warband holding the ADL. I do have a LR for the GK squad if need be. Got thoughts, brother?

Honestly though, of your choices, I like the first one.
The only thing I might be tempted to change is dropping the deathwing knights for something extra in the BSFD...like:

a stormraven, heavy flamers for the tacs, and 15 points of whatever floats my boat at the time
10 man assault squad w. dual hand flamers on the sarge and two flamers in the squad + inquisitor to hide and servo skulls to spread out (I like this one)
drop a tac squad for a second furioso in pod, add sniper scouts to fill troop requirement, add stormraven, add 5 man assault squad (math pending)

·
Registered
434 Posts
That's funny you mentioned using a landraider. Just today I started converting the SM Command Tanks (Rhino/Raider).

Also, I just got the new DA codex. I slept with it last night like it was a teddy bear. My wife was not pleased. That ravenwing detachment has me scouring ebay for more bikes, skimmers, and darkshrouds. Even if they did mess up the HQ selections on it. I will be updating that BA/DA Landspeeder list I made a few months ago very soon. And cutting BA from it all together.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
434 Posts
yellow... faded light green... what's the difference? Just tell them the servitors haven't washed that tank since pollen season.

And I was thinking of abusing that FOC with nothing but speeders. Also had the thought a different list where I pile it in with Dark Talons that'll come in on turn two and clean house... of which I own none. I just need something that'll survive the turn one. Maybe some tough drop pod allies or something.... anywho, how did I make this all about me? Stupid budwiser.

Again, not your style, but running 2 bare bones Demi-Companies with all the free goodies comes in at 880, then your Redemption Force fills in the auxiliary requirement and you have plenty of models to survive turn one, amazballs overwatch, and 20 obsec units to claim objectives. It's boring, lacks flavor, but totally wins by attrition. You'd just have to lose some chainfists to do it... and of course part of your soul for taking such a bland half of your army.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's boring, lacks flavor, but totally wins by attrition.
For sure. While I appreciate the idea though, I won't be building up another battle company of marines...I haven't even thoroughly painted my BA one, I know I could proxy the models as not being red but it doesn't make the army any less boring.

I'm contemplating doing a CAD of White Scars so that I can get my Mortis back into the game. Pissed off that I spent the time painting one green, but what can I do.

Actually, even formulating that list just to use my Mortis is annoying. Anyone want to buy a sweet WS captain I made a while back and a green Mortis with 2x TLLCs? :(

·
Registered
434 Posts
What's up with the Mortis? Aside from being hard to fit into this particular list, IA:2 is still good. The new codex hasn't changed that so it's still 145 points worth of awesome and DA can still take 3. Unless there's something you know that I don't... which only happens about every 2 or 3 months.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
The Mortis is Forgeworld, and so the new codexes are especially unforgiving with FW products. Basically what happens now is Mortis can only really effectively fit into a CAD army. But because Belial no longer moves units to Troops, you can't use a CAD for pure Deathwing without a troop tax. And if you DO use one of the two Deathwing formations that are in the book, you are forced to start the entire army off the board, and a Mortis requires to be firmly on its feet on 2nd turn to be firing at whatever fliers come in 2nd turn.

However, @ntaw - thought for you.

Nothing in the two formations state that you can't put the Mortis in a drop pod... and the pods would technically follow the standard rules for DP Assault, meaning you could at least get one on the table first turn.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just for the sake of the semantics of communication, lets call the Deathwing Redemption Force a Formation since it has specific unit requirements and the Deathwing Strike Force a Detachment because it requires units that fit a battlefield role similar to the way a Combined Arms Detachment works.

The Formation is allowed 0-1 Venerable Dreadnoughts, so Mortis cannot be taken here.

The Detachment is allowed 12 Elites choices and every model must have the Deathwing special rule or be a dedicated transport, so no Mortis here either.

Ultimately, the only way I could get my Mortis in is if I play dual CADs so that I can take my four DW squads and two dreadnoughts, and then I will have to take two HQs and four Troops on top of that.

So to answer some questions, @christopher_dean Mortis are great and nothing has changed about them but things have changed for how the DA (more specifically the DW) build their armies. @Xabre, I would love to be proven wrong here. If my BA could take Mortis this wouldn't even be a conversation, but Mars/GW/FW isn't interested in that.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Didn't realize that it specified the exact Dreadnought. I just thought it said if you took a Venerable it had to drop. Damn loop hole.

Okay. I've got a second thought for you. This one's probably open to interpretations.

If you take an ALLIED detachment of Clan Raukaan, a Mortis for Elite and a Mortis for Heavy? Annoying single troop tax, however, but you could always buy a drop pod.

Yeah, I'm trying really hard to get you that Mortis.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You are and I appreciate it my friend.

Can a Formation be your Primary Detachment in a Battle Forged army? If not, then an Allied Detachment can't help as it states specifically that it can't be the Primary that a Forged army has to have (heck, even an Unbound army has a Primary Detachment, whatever faction your warlord comes from). It says that unless a Detachment lists specific Restrictions then it has none, so I'm inclined to think that this whole idea would work.

Hopefully someone who plays SM or greenwing is reading this and prospering, but I won't be buying or proxying anything to play a model that was only included in my army based on my enemy's use of fliers.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Any Formation or Detachment can be your Primary Detachment, excluding the Allied, which specifically says otherwise. If you think about it, in harlequins or Skitarii, if you played purely those books, they have no HQ; you just picked one of the various formations, made it your primary, and said a character was your warlord.

In this case, you could make the DW Strikeforce (which is a detachment) OR the Redemption force (which is a Formation, based on your terms) be your primary, and allow Belial or your HQ to run the show.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:laugh: there's a caveat at the end of the Mortis unit entry where it says what faction can take it:

...any of which may take one per detachment.
While I'm not sure it applies to the DA availability stated in the first sentence, it most definitely applies to the C:SM part afterward. Depending on the way you read it anyone who takes more than one Mortis in any given Detachment is cheating. :rofl:

So, really. Who wants to buy a TLLC Mortis off me? She's painted real nice-like...

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hahaha! You know I love to horde models, but I've modeled mine up using Vendetta TLLCs as arms. Since I have two, a third with any other arms would looks redonkulous. I'm sure you'll want to make a different army list using DA one day that it could fit in.

In a similar topic, do you guys know if GW/FW made a special or limited edition DA Venerable Dread? I have one in my collection that I got stupid cheap with a bunch of other dreads in one lot on ebay, but saw that exact same model sold solo go for like 70 bucks. Am I missing something here?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts