Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

So, I have a list I'd like to throw out for some C&C. There is a tourney coming up towards the end of June and I'd like to try and have a decent list put together beforehand so I can try it out and tweak it as necessary.

Chapter Tactics; Imperial Fists

HQ
Chaplain; Jump Pack, Power Fist

Troops
Tactical Squad; Plasmagun, Combi Plasma

Fast
Assault Squad; 10 Jump Packs, 2 Flamers, Vet Sgt w/Power Fist and Meltabombs

Heavy
Devastator Squad; 4 LasCannons, +5 Marines

That's it. The idea is to have the Chaplain run with the Assault Squad for the purpose of the AS benefitting from Zealot for rerolls to hit. Furthermore, they can help him out with a "Look Out, Sir!" if need be. The Power Fists should help in regards to any armour they may come across. I'm not looking to get the Chaplain into close combat as I'm sure most opponents are going to have an HQ capable of killing him in nothing flat.

The Tactical Squads are very stripped down and slightly over basic. Plasmaguns and Combi Plasmas add a hard punch that should help in securing and keeping objectives.

The Devastators are basically the backfield Big Guns that will look to soften any armour before the Chaplain and Assault Squads can get to it. I realize that there should be some AA in the mix with these three squads.

As always, C&C is welcome :grin:

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
The only thing I would change list-wise is the Assault squad. Give one of the non-character members an eviscerator and drop the power fist from the sergeant. He can't attack with both and moving the high S attacks to a non character protects it from Challenges and creates a better platform for dealing with AV since the grenade nerf (that wasn't even a nerf, the rule read one way the whole time and was abused rampantly by rules lawyers worldwide who played previous editions where it was allowed).

Are you keeping the Devs as 10 man units or are you combat squad'ing them for maximum target saturation?

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing I would change list-wise is the Assault squad. Give one of the non-character members an eviscerator and drop the power fist from the sergeant. He can't attack with both and moving the high S attacks to a non character protects it from Challenges and creates a better platform for dealing with AV since the grenade nerf (that wasn't even a nerf, the rule read one way the whole time and was abused rampantly by rules lawyers worldwide who played previous editions where it was allowed).
Well, this is an eloquent solution to including the Eviscerator to the squad. I suppose I could drop the Meltabombs and lose the Veteran status on the Sergeant so he could have a Power Weapon, like an Axe?

Are you keeping the Devs as 10 man units or are you combat squad'ing them for maximum target saturation?
I am now! That's brilliant, actually.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I'd give the sergeant a power sword or lightning claw depending on what you have available. The eviscerator and Chaplain's fist is AP2 enough I'd wager, might be worth having some at Initiative AP3.

Glad you like the Dev idea, it has strengths and weaknesses of course but four LCs is often overkill with Tank Hunter so splitting them up might be nice. Easier to lose 5 man squads though, but MSU can be tricky if your opponent doesn't have enough firepower saturation.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Makes me kinda wonder why you're not just bringing a Battle Company, being most of the way - 5-man footslogging Tacticals seem pretty pointless; a Battle Company, for the price of a few tax units/changes, gives you Rhinos/Razorbacks for every squad and Tactical Doctrine for that sweet re-roll. Cut out all the random extra Devastators, add in the required Captain, split the Assault Squad in half, and run Battle Company; I think the list would be much improved.

BATTLE COMPANY
Captain with Artificer Armour, Storm Shield, Power Fist and Auspex
Chaplain
5-man Tactical Squad with Grav Cannon in Rhino
5-man Assault Squad with 2 Flamers and Sergeant with Meltabombs in Razorback with Twin-Linked Lascannon
5-man Assault Squad with 2 Flamers and Sergeant with Meltabombs in Razorback with Twin-Linked Lascannon
5-man Devastator Squad with 4 Lascannons in Razorback with Twin-Linked Lascannon
5-man Devastator Squad with 4 Lascannons in Razorback with Twin-Linked Lascannon

That's 1430pts, leaving you 570pts for an Auxiliary plus something else. An extra 60pts if you drop those Tactical Squads down to your Plasma/Combi-Plasma loadouts, for 630pts to spend - possibly on a 1st Company Strike Force with a load of Sternguard for that Crimson Fists theme (hell, you can cut the Assault Squads down to Attack Bikes and run the Devastators as 2 Lascannons firing out of a Rhino to save a load of points and bring Kantor as well for a *tonne* of Objective Secured bodies). Probably better is an Anti-Air Defence Force or a Storm Wing and an Imperial Knight for some kind of melee defence (or a Biker Command Squad, which gives you a better place to put the Captain and Chaplain to boot).

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The more I think about what @MidnightSun posted, the angrier I get at this list writing slump I've been in!
What you posted was brilliant, I should've thought about something along those lines. I could nearly run what you have listed and may try it with what I have.
I will post a revised list a little later, maybe tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok, here is a revised list after taking into consideration what @MidnightSun had mentioned. I'm still doing the Crimson Fists and will take a Warlord Trait from their table in Angels of Death for the Captain. Also, the Captain has a Meltagun added to him and that's due to me using my Alexis Pollux model for the Captain.

Gladius Detachment 1 @ 650
Captain; Artificer Armour, Storm Shield, Power Fist, Meltagun, Auspex
Tactical Squad; Plasmagun, Combi Plasma, Imperial Marine, Rhino
Tactical Squad; Plasmagun, Combi Plasma, Rhino
Attack Bike; Multimelta
Devastator Squad; 4 LasCannons, Rhino

Gladius Detachment 2 @ 740
Chaplain; The Angel of Sacrifice, Jump Pack, Power Fist, Meltabombs
Assault Squad; 2 Flamers, Eviscerator, Veteran Sergeant w/Power Fist and Meltabombs
Devastator Squad; 4 LasCannons, Rhino

Anti-Air Defense Force @ 220
Hunter
Stalker
Stalker

Suppression Force @ 390
Land Speeder Unit; 3 Assault Cannons
Whirlwind Unit; 3 Whirlwinds

Thanks for the inspiration MidnightSun and @ntaw as I think this list will work better.

C&C, as always, is welcome.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
If you want those free transports you gotta play the Chaplain game:

Company Support: If a Gladius Strike Force includes two Battle Demi-companies, one
including a Captain and the other including a Chaplain
, then together they form a Battle
Company. Any unit from the Battle Company that has the option to take a Rhino,
Razorback or Drop Pod as a Dedicated Transport may take one at no points cost (though
they must pay for any additional upgrades and options as normal).

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You made me do the biggest double take of the day! I looked at it, "I included a Chaplain, right? Yeah, there it is. Does it state Chaplain? It does! I didn't derp it up and type Captain!"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts