Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I have an idea for my next 2K game and I'm leaning towards the following 2K list.

HQ
Captain, PF, LC, Digital Weapons, JP

Troops
Tactical: HB, PG, SB
Tactical: MM, MG, Combi Melta
Tactical: MM, MG, Combi Melta

Fast
Assault Squad: +5 man, Vet Sgt w/PW
Assault Squad: +5 man

Heavy
Devastator Squad: +5 man, 4LC
Devastator Squad: +5 man, 4 ML w/Flakk

The idea here is to march to objectives in range of the deployment zone with the Tactical Squads while the Devastators camp in some ideal terrain and just blast everything in range of them. Meanwhile, the Assault Squads run up and down the board flanking the Captain while he issues and takes challenges and, yes, the Captain has two Power Fists in addition to his jump pack.

As always , C&C is welcome :grin:

Edit: changed second PF to Lightning Claw and added Digital Weapons on Captain, removed Melta Bombs and adjusted Assault Squads due to accidentally being 10 points over.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Much boots, very infantry, wow!
*Insert Doge Picture Here*

My only question is are you going to combat squad the Heavy Bolter away from the plasma gun?
Or are you planning to move them with Ultramarine Tactics?

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Much boots, very infantry, wow!
*Insert Doge Picture Here*

My only question is are you going to combat squad the Heavy Bolter away from the plasma gun?
Or are you planning to move them with Ultramarine Tactics?
Sorry, I forgot to mention that Ultramarine Tactics are what I will be using for the entire list.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Why not a PF/LC on the Captain?
Well, I already modeled the Captain for this and he looks rather cool with the Captain box PF on his left arm and the Assault Squad PF on his right arm pointing. I'm making him as a Second Company captain and using the older Ultramarine colours with yellow instead of gold and I'm calling him Tiberius as a nod to Captain Kirk.

Edit: then again, with an LC he could have Digital Weapons added... I am so glad I haven't primed him yet.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
While we're talking about modeling Captains, I'm working on a White Scar Captain on a bike right now, looking to kit him with a Storm Shield and either a Thunder Hammer or Power Fist. The Hammer would look WAY cooler and has Concussive, but the Power Fist is 5 points less and I have those in abundance. Which way would you go?

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While we're talking about modeling Captains, I'm working on a White Scar Captain on a bike right now, looking to kit him with a Storm Shield and either a Thunder Hammer or Power Fist. The Hammer would look WAY cooler and has Concussive, but the Power Fist is 5 points less and I have those in abundance. Which way would you go?
Honestly, I know me and I know how my WS bike Captain looks and I used a a Relicblade for him. But, given the choice of PF or TH, I would go TH. It not only looks cool, but, depending on how you model the rider, you can make the TH look like he's giving out one might 'whack' with his hammer.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
S6 is a bit meh for me in CC compared to S8 (thinking about Instant Death here), and considering a Relic Blade is the same points as a Power Fist...I guess you just really wanted to keep your Initiative? I'm using the DV bike sergeant as the model for the conversion, so he's gunna have a sweet striking arm no matter what weapon I smack on there. Shame my buddy used all the hammers from his Vanguard kit...

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
S6 is a bit meh for me in CC compared to S8 (thinking about Instant Death here), and considering a Relic Blade is the same points as a Power Fist...I guess you just really wanted to keep your Initiative? I'm using the DV bike sergeant as the model for the conversion, so he's gunna have a sweet striking arm no matter what weapon I smack on there. Shame my buddy used all the hammers from his Vanguard kit...
You could always model a captain with a PF that is holding a Thunder Hammer from Terminator.

·
Registered
Space marines ( 13th Legion/ Ultramarines chapter), tyranids, Drukhari, Custodes, SoS,
132 Posts
How will you be getting your melta troops into range for those insta-kills? Drop pods would be ideal (if facing riptides/knights- id rather take combi-melta sternguard for this), however only having half arrive T1 is a bummer if you want your troops to survive longer.

Also, why not use rhinos- consider it a rolling void shield! Can move the same, has two fire points for your Hb/PG weapons, and can absorb some firepower, saving your troops to move on the objective when near.

Plus, if it is a maelstrom mission then you can use them to cover those pesky out-of-reach objectives, or use them as rolling cover.

Ive just worked out what you have and you have plenty of points to spare- enough to take a few mech units. Either that or add the following which should bring it up to 2K:

Assault Squad 5-man
4x Rhino Transports (Tac squads with PG/HB)
2x Drop Pods (Tac squad with Meltas)

I'd increase in the assault units, tie up denial units in CC, alpha strike those worrying units in Drop Pods, hope second comes in T2/T3, next to objectives if not. Run up HB units in rhinos to within 36" of enemy, pop smoke, get out and roll PG squads up in rhino towards enemy (yes, combat squad your troops and carry them into battle)

Better still, if your rhinos get nailed, run each combat squad next to each other (but out of inter-squad coherency). If they are targeted, there is a chance they will only inflict damage on 1 of the combat squads, leaving the second to return fire. Little nasty trick, but does work ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts