Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, guys. Been tossing some ideas around to try and improve a 2K BA list I've been working on.

First off, I like infantry and I have the models for it. Secondly, the previous list I had needs some anti tank.

So here's kinda what I'm thinking:

Primary Detachment: Blood Angels

HQ:
Reclusiarch---JP
*Honor Guard---Blood Champ, 2xMG, SS MB

Elites:
*Termies---AssCan
*Sanguinary Priests---JP/PS, Corbulo

Troops:
*10 Man RAS---2xHF, 2xFlamers
*10 Man RAS---Naked
*10 Man TAC---Flamer, Plasma Cannon (I have had an uncanny amount of luck with these guys, recently obliterated a GKSS that had deepstruck), Drop Pod

Allied Detachment: White Scars

HQ:
*Captain---Teeth of Terra, BIKE

Troops:
*5 Man Bike Squad---2x MG, MM Attack Bike

Anyways, general strategy is to use my Honor Guard as a jack of all trades unit (I'm aware of the cost, but it really fits my playstyle--plus I've an irrational love of Honor Guard)
Again I know the HG is expensive, but it's a fantastic unit, and very fun if played well, but can murder tanks and turn the tide in some close assaults. Plus re-rolls!

Corbulo goes in the LRC with the Termies. Corbs is the tank to end all tanks imo, so I'm keeping him.

White Scars are there to harass and pop tanks. Plus ToT gives them some great assault potential as well.

I've got alot of pretty survivable bodies on the field. I think I'll have difficult time against some assaulty chaos lists and mech guard. It'll be fun though!

Majorian

Edit!!!
Probably drop the Reclusiarch in in favor of JP Libby with Shield/Sword powers. Also, for more fun/flexibility. throwaway Servo Skull =][= perfect deepstriking!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Why not drop the JPs for the HG unit and put them in a Drop Pod? It does work a hell of a lot better with a 10 man RAS equipped with MGs, but it's a pretty ace T1 'fuck you' to armour. In the allied attachment I'd probably drop the Attack Bike to make points for any changes, chiefly moving the DP to the HG and adding a =][= w/ Liber Heresius so you can scout your Tactical squad.

Basically,

HQ:
Libby---JP
*Honor Guard---Blood Champ, 2xMG, SS, DP

Elites:
*Termies---AssCan

Troops:
*10 Man RAS---2x MGs, PS
*10 Man TAC---Flamer, Plasma Cannon

HQ:

Troops:
*5 Man Bike Squad---2x MG

Inquisitorial Detachment:

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor w/ ML1, Force Sword, Liber Heresius, Rad Grenades, 3x Servo Skulls
Not sure of the points values here, I'm doing this all off the top of my head. Dropping the JPs, MBs, Rec. down to Libby, and Attack Bike should net you 140 points. Adding in the Inquisitor, MGs, and PS should be 129. 10 points to go....somewhere. Could be a lot of things, actually. What do you think of those changes?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just going to break everything down by unit. My comments in red

Points breakdown helps to see if/where you're spending too much. You also mention an LRC in your strategy but none in your list. Don't do the Crusader. Redeemer. Much more fluffy, you want it marching up the board and it's an AP 3 flamer on an AV14 hull. Good luck stopping it.

So here's kinda what I'm thinking:

HQ:
Reclusiarch---JP
This guy is a gem with Death Company. Meltabombs for 5 pts wouldn't hurt him.
I guess the toss-up between the Libby and Chappy would be what you want out of it. Support unit (in which case no JP on the Libby depending on where you want him, too few wounds to have him up in CC with just power armor)

*Honor Guard---Blood Champ, 2xMG, SS MB
I don't see where these guys fit in other than you like them (which is fine). 5 guys on foot with two meltaguns isn't that scary. You've kept them cheap-ish, but I just can see their points being better spent elsewhere. If you want to keep them though, I'd give them a ride (I believe in the Drop Pod but a Rhino would keep their pace with the rest of your army). It's a shame they don't have Artificer Armour like their C:SM counterparts, makes the shooting they'll take easier to bear.

Elites:
*Termies---AssCan
Another unit I just don't know what you're doing with. Maybe that's just because I don't like TacTerms. CML over the AssCan though. Any day of the week. 2 missiles is great on the move. Deep striking them I assume? I play GK and 5 DS'ing Terminators are not scary.

I wouldn't take the PS personally. You don't want this guy in a challenge (there's a Sgt to eat a challenge for him), you want him on the board giving that FnP bubble. Is there a reason for Corbulo? I don't see him being 105 pts, and I don't know where you're going to put him since he's walking up the board.

Troops:
Not too big on the Hand Flamers either. Two more Str 3 flamers just doesn't seem that scary to me. Same with Infernus Pistols. Those 20 pts for 2 flamers could be spent on your naked Assault Squad for 2 Meltaguns. And you don't have any anti-vehicle other than a melta bikes from the Scars.
*10 Man RAS---Naked
See above. Spend the Hand Flamer points on Meltaguns for these guys.

*10 Man TAC---Flamer, Plasma Cannon (I have had an uncanny amount of luck with these guys, recently obliterated a GKSS that had deepstruck), Drop Pod
Seems fine, but if you are actually putting them in the pod then they outpace your whole army. They'll be dropping near an enemy I assume and then everything has to walk up the board behind them. By the time the rest of your army gets up the board, they'll be dead.

HQ:
Needs Artificer Armour always. Cheap and makes him dodge those AP3 shots.

Troops:
*5 Man Bike Squad---2x MG, MM Attack Bike
Seems fine

Edit!!!
Probably drop the Reclusiarch in in favor of JP Libby with Shield/Sword powers. Also, for more fun/flexibility. throwaway Servo Skull =][= perfect deepstriking!
Have you ever considered using Death Company? Their relentless so they get to double tap Bolters and assault, can tank the return fire and dish out damage. In a Land Raider that's a dirty trick to any infantry. They're already 2 attacks (3 on the charge) and will really soften up a unit with those guns before assaulting. Sticking a Reclusiarch with a Combi-Melta/Flamer in that unit makes them deadly in Assault.
If you wanted to stick with the LRC then you can put 9 DC and the Chap inside of it. With a Redeemer I'd stick with about the same size squad of DC. No need to fill it out.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Not too big on the Hand Flamers either. Two more Str 3 flamers just doesn't seem that scary to me.
It's about 4 D3 Overwatch hits or the fact that most armies have Troops selections that are T3 max. In your criticism of the list I would certainly take the MGs over the HFs since the points are the way they are, but if you can spare them the HFs are totally worth it in most scenarios. Combined with a PS toting Priest to capitalize on much template plus WS5 challenge master with FnP for the squad? Jams.

So long as Gunslinger survives 7th edition.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure of the points values here, I'm doing this all off the top of my head. Dropping the JPs, MBs, Rec. down to Libby, and Attack Bike should net you 140 points. Adding in the Inquisitor, MGs, and PS should be 129. 10 points to go....somewhere. Could be a lot of things, actually. What do you think of those changes?
I think dropping those other points is actually 95 points, I'm at work right now so not sure.

The OX scouting the Tacs would be plenty doable. I think I'm going to do that. Dropping the Reclusiarch is easy enough, and I'd rather have the Libby.
Drop pod sounds solid enough for the HG, maybe add the Libby for cover save.

Also re:the one, Corbulo is amazing 2++ tanking wounds with my TacTerms in the LRC eats a lot of things for breakfast.
And yeah I wish the guard had AA, but I will be using your drop pod suggestion. will probably add AA to the Scars captain, had taken it away to make room elsewhere.

I like DC sometimes but generally I find them less competitive than I'd like. Relentless is amazing (especially in kill team games).
Also, I'm not sure if the Redeemer is all that more fluffy, but I will consider it if I need to reallocate points.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I think dropping those other points is actually 95 points, I'm at work right now so not sure.
Nope, but you're right. I was off. You actually had more points than that available, so here's a list that's 2k on the nose:

HQ:
Libby---JP
*Honor Guard---Novitiate, Blood Champ, 2xMG, SS, DP

Elites:
*Termies---AssCan, LRR w/ MM

Troops:
*10 Man RAS---2x MGs (could also be in a Drop Pod if you want)
*10 Man TAC---Flamer, Plasma Cannon

HQ:

Troops:
*6 Man Bike Squad---2x MG

Inquisitorial Detachment:

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor w/ ML1, Force Sword, Liber Heresius, Rad Grenades, 3x Servo Skulls
2,000 points on the nose, and similar but a little tweaked from your initial idea. What do you think, Majoran?

EDIT: To accommodate The_One's opinion on Artificier armour (one that I share), you could either drop the JP on the Libby and smack him in with Corb+Termies and give MBs to your Melta RAS -or- drop the HFs in the Flamer RAS. I'd drop the JP before the HFs, but that's because I love Hand Flamers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Oh sorry Mea Culpa here: Corbulo has dat 2+ FnP, not 2++ sorry! Also forgot to add in the Drop in Rec points, oh well, I hadn't had my coffee (I work at a coffee shop).

Yeah, I'm not sure I wanna put the points for Rads. I won't be charging really, and I expect to not put them in an easy to charge spot, plus those odds of actually getting a hit (barring Counter-Attack from the liber, and I foresee using alot more split fire+Prescience) are kinda low so T3 (vs MEQ--which is mostly what I play against) doesn't really seem worth the investment here. I might be better off with the Needle Pistol (MIB Noisy Cricket FTW). AP 2, Poisoned (2+), check yes. I'm also probably not gonna have much use for that Force Sword either, It might be nice to have that extra pistol attack in shooting to take even more advantage of Prescience, what do you think?

To get the Captain's AA, I'd probably just keep 5 bikes.

I want my Libby to have the JP, but I'm not sure where I want him running. Ideas?

General strategy. Run LRR up the middle to the left of the Scouted Tacs, disgorge Terms & Corbs on a side most likely in front of the Tacs (shooty terms in front of tacs has been a winning strategy for me in the past). Honor Guard will DP into the right diagonal ahead of the Tacs---high crossfire killbox here. White Scars will cover right flank in case the Honor Guard gets boxed in. Melta Assaults will run to the left of the LRR. Flamers will be somewhere to the right of the Tacs to max Templates with LRR.

I'm sorely lacking AA, but I really want to field my HG, and I think the speed of my Assault should make up for some of the deficiency.

Majorian

EDIT!!!

So my roommate and I played 4.5 (he decided to call it a night on my turn 5, and being the college student vampire I am, I'm writing a paper and not writing a paper) turns of a 1K match, we were playing Emperor's Will on Hammer and Anvil (Meh) he was using a Grey Knights/=][= list. Which looked something like:

HQ:
*GKGM---Rad Grenades(I think), Incinerator

Elites:
*Purifier Squad---4 NFH, Psyback

Troops:
*10 Man GKSS---5 NFH, NDH, 2 Psycannons, Psybolts
*GKT---4 NFH, NDH, Incinerator

Allied =][=:

HQ:
*OM =][=---ML1

Elites:
*Warband---Mystic, 4 Acolytes with various weapons, Psyback

I used a redux BA list. I ran the =][= with ML1, Liber, 3xSS (the guy from the Militarum box I made---slapped some of the bitz from my GK box on him he looks neat; needs paint though. Lemme get finished with college finals first haha).

HQ:
*Libby---JP, Shield/Sword powers

Elites:
*Terms---AssCan

Troops:
*10 Man RAS---2x Flamers (no HFs on the sarge sorry)
*10 Man Tac---Flamer, ML

Allied =][=

HQ:
*OX =][=---ML1, Liber Heresius, 3xSS

He gave everything eligible Counter-Attack from a solid Grand Strategy roll negating the strength of my army, and forcing me to play less aggressively. So I ran this list somewhat strangely, but it worked very well, and I feel the tactics are solid. Scouted the Tacs up to the objective after deployment. I kept the Termies in reserve (which meant Corbulo couldn't deploy with them) wirh the SS in great positions around my Obj to both reduce scatter for my termies and keep his DSing GKSS and GKGM (One of the most killy combos in the GK Codex) from knocking on my Tac's door. Had two placed 6" from terrain and Tacs alike so when the finally did come in, Corbulo could leave the Tac Squad and join the Termies while still giving FnP to the Tacs (He tanked close to 20 wounds! Never leave home without him). His GKT footslogged and assaulted my Corb buffed Termies and he lost 3 models while I lost one in a challenge (Failed to kill his Justicar on I4 and was Insta gibbed...). My RAS got charged by some mean, mean Purifiers but I killed them all at great cost. My Libby was with them but suffered a wound to Perils while rolling for Sanguine Sword, but did inflict 3 wounds with his Ax; can never decide if I like the sword more than the ax, in general I think the sword is better with Sanguine Sword, but in this case it paid off having the ax to capitalize on WS5 and S5. I feel like I can use the ax well against termies while deflecting challenges with a priest or sarge.

Anyways, currently I'm leading with First Blood and Kill Points, with his remaining Psyback on its last HP waiting for a nice glance from my ML. The game is really now about whether my 'Quiz buffed Tac (intend to use split Fire to attempt glance on Psyback with ML) squad can shoot his GKSS enough to soften them up for the impending RAS blaze of glory charge.

This has got me thinking---damn. I have a 750 point game coming up Tuesday (not sure what I'll be playing), but I think I would run the following:

HQ:
*Libby---JP, Sword & Shield powers

Elites:
*Sanguinary Priest---JP/PS

Troops:
*9 Man RAS---Flamer
*5 Man RAS---MG, MB
*10 Man Tac---Flamer, ML

Allied Detachment: =][=

HQ:
*=][=---ML1, Liber Heresius, 1xSS to keep potential deepstrikers away from my Tacs

Sorry about that wall of text, it helps me to get my thoughts down though.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure I wanna put the points for Rads.
I forget that I most often use my Inquisitor with a Guard army, where he really shines.

I might be better off with the Needle Pistol
Guess so if you'd like, I often find the Inquisitor better used serving a squad then trying to be a tough guy.

I'm also probably not gonna have much use for that Force Sword either
Yeah, that 'free' upgrade with the 30 points you spent on ML1 is a total waste....

I want my Libby to have the JP, but I'm not sure where I want him running. Ideas?
drop the JP on the Libby and smack him in with Corb+Termies
As far as the rest of the lists, there's going to be some changes to the rules in a couple weeks so I'd hold off on getting too into the list making. Unbound armies might really help out BA players do away with expensive HQs at lower points levels.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I'm just saying as far as the force sword goes, I think I wan' moar dakka cuz thar idn't no su' thin' as enuf dakka.

Also Quiz with Rads on guard sounds very good at evening some odds!

As far as 7th goes, my group will be playing 6th through mid-July, but yeah I'm not holding my breath. For all it's shortcomings, I do enjoy 6th.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Well, I'm just saying as far as the force sword goes, I think I wan' moar dakka cuz thar idn't no su' thin' as enuf dakka.
Wow, I just read back that comment and I didn't mean to come off so...dickish. Shoot 'em up!

Also Quiz with Rads on guard sounds very good at evening some odds!
In my Deathwing/Astra Militarum/=][= army:

Azrael and an Inquisitor (rad, ML1, FS, 3x SS, Liber) with a 30 man Guard blob (3x PA, 3x F). Boo-yeah.

For all it's shortcomings, I do enjoy 6th.
Same, and yet here we are bidding adieu to a core rulebook after less than 2 years thanks to GW. Since my gaming group is small it's easy to shift the rules, I suppose.

At least we're one more release closer to a new BA codex. I just bought two more Drop Pods because I have many ideas for 7th...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, I just read back that comment and I didn't mean to come off so...dickish.

Well I just used a =][= ML1 to ID a Libby so lol I guess. I was actually using one with a small acolyte squad. I charged to soak wounds
for another unit and challenged for lulz.

Also Corbulo has only given up 2 wounds in 3 games out of some 30+ inflicted!

Yeah, 6th is fun, but if it is a Blood Angels Orks box, I might finally be able to get a buddy of mine to play the greenskin. It fits his idiom so well it's kinda sad. I imagine we'd split the bawks and I can get more models.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Also Corbulo has only given up 2 wounds in 3 games out of some 30+ inflicted!
Yeah, the dude's a beast with 2+ FnP and Look Out Sir!. I've never wanted to play the Terminator squad in a LR with him though, just never really caught me. Wonder if that tactic will be the same in 7th?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whoo crazy busy the last 36+ hours.

Re: Corbs, I feel like it should be. I don't think I saw anything yet that would disallow it.

Also unrelated, I won 2 games with at 750 with my Grey Knights against Eldar (who killed me to a man--who happened to have the relic!) and a Blob Guard on Crusade. Strangely enough, it took either of us 5 turns to get first blood, which I claimed with an assault to contest his backfield objective, turning his platoon command squad into a fine pink mist, and granting me linebreaker!

In any event, hopes for 7th for BA include: Artificer armor for Corbulo+the option to take a JP; Artificer armor upgrade for Honor Guard as well as a 20-30 point reduction in cost for JP; Eternal Warrior for Dante; well I guess that's it really.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts