Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I've got a competitive(ish) 2k Blood Angels list I'd like to share with you guys and see what you have to say about it?

Chaplain - Valours Edge, Jump Pack

x8 Death Company - Jump Packs, x2 Power Fists
x5 Sanguinary Guard - Encarmine Swords

x5 Tactical Marines - las/plas Razorback, Heavy Flamer

x5 Assault Marines - Jump packs, x2 Melta

Storm Raven Gunship - Melta/ assualt Cannon
Vindicator - Overcharged Engines

Dante

total 1978 points

Now I know generally vanilla marines are better and more competitive but I love my blood angels and dont want to give up hope on them. I've tried to make use of the things that make BA unique and gone for a rapid hard hitting army with quite a few small units each with a particular task in mind, Dante and Chaplain join different DC squads to make two nasty beat sticks, Sanguinary guard are a relatively low threat and hopefully go around taking on MEQ units, Tactical Marines take objectives/deal with anti infantry, Assault marines DS/move quickly onto enemy tanks, Storm Raven for reliable anti air, Vindicators fly around dropping pie plates onto infantry and vehicles as needed and are pretty big threats.

Not sure if objective secured is the best root for this list or to go with the more killy Baal strike force? Any way any improvements/wise words (other than "just use vanilla marines") will be appreciated!

Also got 22 points left to fill in somewhere if any one has any ideas?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I dig what you have going on here! I'm a long time BA player and have been laying the smack down on my Vanilla brethren recently, ObSec, super Scouts/Dreadnoughts, and Formations of gold be damned. Without changing anything about the list, those 22 points would go nicely as pintle storm bolters for the Vindicators and digital weapons for your Chaplain because he won't have S6 from his Crozius when you use Valour's Edge.

Rather than suggest a bunch of stuff right off the hop, I'll share my experiences with each of your units:

Chaplain - Valours Edge, Jump Pack
Digital weapons. I know I said it before, but dice are god damned jerks and sometimes he just really needs to get those AP2 wounds in and it's hard when you don't have all those nice charge bonuses.

I typically play mine as 10 man squads, but that's just 'cuz I like 10 man squads everywhere. Keep 'em in cover moving up slowly and wait to charge with them. A late charge will decimate weakened opponents even if you want to run screaming into the fight.

x5 Sanguinary Guard - Encarmine Swords
These guys rarely make their points back for me (though I have absolutely carved out a Tyranid army with them as well). When I play them I typically add a Priest because they need the survivability from plasma in my games, and kit them with a power fist and the banner so they can deal with Walkers and have more attacks. I really like them and they work well when they do, but they're just as much of a bullet magnet as the DC and they don't do as well thanks to their smaller numbers and lack of natural FnP.

I rarely spend the 20 points on a turret unless I'm going to keep it the heck back and in cover for pot shots, which isn't what your weapon loadout of heavy flamer suggests you're going to do. While I appreciate the glory that is las/plas turrets I think you could better spend those 40 points elsewhere given the frailty of the Rhino chassis and its headlong charge into battle. You've got anti armour covered with your Heavy Support and Fast Attack choices I'd wager.

No Drop Pods or combi-meltas/Gunslinger infernus pistols? Ah well. They're still awesome disruption units so long as your enemy has targets worth their often single shot use.

Storm Raven Gunship - Melta/ assualt Cannon
I really wish that both my Stormravens were magnetized, because this is the option I most often go with. If I can find the bits and the will to break apart a painted model I might go back and work some miracles (as ICP would think with me using magnets) on that bird so she can still shoot up infantry.

Only thing here is getting is storm bolter on there for Weapon's Destroyed results. Damn I wish I had a pair of these bad boys.

The one, the only. I cut Draigo into ribbons (after shooting the living crap out of his squad) in a Challenge in my last game with this beast. Ways I've played him:

a) in SG with a Priest. Good times were had by me, but ultimately his squad died pretty quick despite 2+/FnP thanks to my enemy pouring on the heat from the moment he could.

b) in DC with a Chaplain. Again, just a god damned wrecking ball. Extra points for getting the most out of Hit and Run with the DC's extensive charge benefits.

c) in an Assault squad with a Priest. The Priest makes the Assault squad a near-DC experience, and it actually worked out to be the perfect meat-shield for Dante's axe; something that any squad he's attached to will inevitably be reduced to fast. I wasn't fretting losing models because it's the least expensive option and they aren't anything more than fightier marines, and my opponent didn't know whether to shoot my DC with Chaplain (equipped with Valour's Edge of course) or my Assault squad with Dante.

Not sure if objective secured is the best root for this list or to go with the more killy Baal strike force?
BSFD all the time, every time. ObSec just isn't what we're good at.

I love my blood angels and dont want to give up hope on them.
Stay strong brother! Don't know how much my thoughts will help, but feel free to continue the conversation :drinks:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Love it. I play Raven Guard personally, so I'm a big fan of all the jump packs you've got going on here.

I'm with Ntaw on the Razorbacks, I usually run my Rhinos with two storm bolters with the Tac squad firing out of the top. At armour 11 they're very likely to be snap firing if anything looks at them funny, which puts me off the Razorbacks and their heavy weapons, though I understand that you're filling a slight weakness of your list in the way of ranged anti-armour. I prefer the TL las cannon personally, as I don't find the Las synergises with the plasma very well, and twin linked snap firing makes me happy.

Two fast Vindicators sounds like a nightmare psychological tool. There won't be much on the field they can't threaten, I'd just always advise on the siege shield upgrade so you can ride over terrain with impunity.

I also like that you've doubled up on almost everything (yay redundancies).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Stay strong brother! Don't know how much my thoughts will help, but feel free to continue the conversation :drinks:
Love it. I play Raven Guard personally, so I'm a big fan of all the jump packs you've got going on here.
Thanks for the advice guys, if I drop the Lascannons down to heavy bolters (I suppose I have armour covered) it gives me the points to add siege shields and storm bolters onto the Vindicators and digital weapons onto my chaplain and still have the 22 points over.

I know what you mean about the Sanguinary guard but thats why I've kept them as cheap as possible, as a small unit they're a lower threat than the big death company units/vindicators but as the only 2+ saves I suppose they're likely to draw any opposition plasma fire.

I could drop them for a frag furioso (dont normally run only one but should be ok with the rest of the armour?) with a few things:

Attach it to my storm raven and then I can add an extra death company marine to each squad and spend 10 of the last 11 points on angels wings instead of a jump pack for my chaplain or something?

Again attach it to the storm raven and add a 5 man scout squad with bolt pistols/chain swords have some angry scouts would be nice to add a power sword in here but no points.

Or I could put the furioso in a drop pod and switch the assault squads to drop pods? (this would cost more ££ but it's all for the emperor!). Not sure if this would just lead to my dread dropping down and being blown up though. This would also leave me with the pesky 22 points left over.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
All of my more competitive lists involve two Fragiosos Podding in with an Assault squad as backup and for the third Pod. They often get blown up, but not before I maim an aspect of my enemy's army as well as divert often a large portion of their attention to them while my assault troops move up the board. I never Deep Strike jump units unless they are shooting units. Coincidentally, a Furioso with frag cannon and heavy flamer in a Drop Pod is 165 points, same as the Sanguinary Guard.

I really wish that a locator beacon on your Stormraven could help your disembarking Furioso/whatever unit, but the LB states 'arriving from Deep Strike Reserve' specifically and that doesn't seem to brook 'deploy as if Deep Striking'. What a shame!

That last 22 points could be combi-meltas on each of your Assault squad Sergeants, or melta bombs for them and a power fist in your Sanguinary Guard.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So would you suggest the lone furioso in the drop pod over the sanguinary guard? Then run the assault marines in drop pods?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nah I'm planning on putting it together and keeping it, I just don't have the drop pods ;) I may have to see if I can lend some space wolf ones off a friend for the play tests! Think The dread could work on the raven?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Fer sure. It's ultimately a short range shooting platform, deployable horde control from your Flier. To be fair though, I do play two of them not one. One will have less of an impact but will still wreck some face and leave you with 35 points to beef up other units flying in that Flier instead of a Pod.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking since theres only one it might be less likely to just blow up on the raven?

I dont actually plan on putting anything into the raven(other than maybe the dread). It's more there to give me some sort of aerial support, I play againts nids fairly regularly and flying hive tyrants are an issue and we don't really get much in the way of good AA.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Not much survives a Wrecked Flier, which ties into its role typically as a support vehicle in most BA lists I see and play. I used to pack both my 'ravens full of models and they fell from the skies in pieces far too many times. It all depends on your opponent's anti-air scenario. A lot of the guys I play with currently don't have fliers (realizing my collection is ridiculous more and more) and throw flakk at AV12 hoping for the best. It's something I try not to capitulate on too much since it's so easy a weakness to exploit...plus, more points for marines to punch stuff with.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I play a guy that runs 2 crones and 2 tyrants at 2k points, the storm raven can normally take at least one out but often 2 before it's dragged down.

Although if I just gave up the air support I could bring another fragioso and by them both drop pods..

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Honestly taking one Stormraven knowing you're facing four FMCs is just useless. It takes out one maybe two before getting taken out and it costs more than an individual monster from 'nids, when I face the same I totally ignore having anything with Skyfire in my list. Another ten bodies on the field is what you need against the rate of fire those twin-linked devourers put out, not a ship that can get Wrecked by weight of dice following up Vector Strikes 'cuz the bastards shoot in a 360 degree arc.

As an example of a recent and wildly successful list I had,

HQ

Chaplain - Valour's Edge, digital weapons, jump pack

Priest - lightning claw, jump pack

Elites

10x Death Company - 2x power fists, 10x pistols, 8x chainswords, jump packs

Furioso - frag cannon, power fist with heavy flamer, Drop Pod

Furioso - frag cannon, power fist with heavy flamer, Drop Pod

Troops

10x Tactical marines - heavy flamer, meltagun, Rhino

10x Tactical marines - heavy flamer, meltagun, Rhino

Fast Attack

10x Assault marines - 2x meltaguns, power fist, Drop Pod

10x Assault marines - 2x flamers, 2x hand flamers and melta bombs on sergeant

Heavy Support

Predator - autocannon, lascannon sponsons

Lord of War

Dante

No Fliers or anti air, no problem. Chappy ran with the DC, Priest and Dante rolled with the ten man jump squad. There isn't enough of a Flier presence in my group for me to care, and when there is it's likely FW stuff (Fire Raptors...damn those bastards) and I know pre-game and bring my 'Ravens out for that specific match.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts