Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had to try my hand at this, and i want to keep the Chaplains and Astorath as much as possible. i was trying to make a list with no Sanguinary Priests, IMO for as good as they are, ICs with no invulnerable saves are a bit weak.

Astorath the Grim

Chaplain
-jump pack

Chaplain
-jump pack
(these join the jump pack RAS)

RAS
x5 Marines
+razorback
-las plas
-search light

RAS
x5 Marines
+razorback
-las plas
-search light

RAS
x5 Marines
+razorback
-las plas
-search light
(these are meant to be a sit back at home/close objectives and deploy to provide fire support; i can deploy one in each corner and in the middle for optimal board coverage, or i can even deploy forward and pop smoke for covering the rest of the army)

RAS
x10 Marines
-jump packs
-PF
-x2 flamers

RAS
x10 Marines
-jump packs
-PF
-x2 flamers
(i know the set up on these may seem strange; roles are mixed up with two flamers and the PF, but the idea here is that these attack a unit whose transport has been popped [between 3 LC, 3 TL AC, and 3 ML, i'd hope so...] and to cause as many wound [with the flamers] and then charge. the PF is there more to hit MCs and of course the Chappies are here)

Death Company
x6 Marines
-jump packs
-PF
-plasma pistol
(joined by Astorath. concerned about the points cost of these guys and Astorath combined, but they these guys should be able to mop up most things. considered taking no upgrades, and i could drop the PF and plasma pistol for up to 2 more DC Marines)

Dreadnought
-TL AC
-ML
-seach light

Dreadnought
-TL AC
-ML
-seach light

Dreadnought
-TL AC
-ML
(standard fire support, wish all three had search lights)

so what do you think? :angel:

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I really like this list. I like the fire support but a few things to make it more reliable. Mainly a second autocannon instead of the MLs. Statistically they are more likely to drop av11 and 12 transports because you have 4 rerollable str 7 shots instead of 2 str7 and one single roll str 8. Also agaisnt things like MCs and even tough units such as terminators feel their pain through more shots. It's nothing serious though I think they're barely more powerful anyway :)

The razorbacks, good choice and a solid style, it's how i use them too. If you're keeping them back the whole time however the plasma gun might not get to fire much. Twin linked would suit them more if they are just stable fire support. otherwise good choice :)

the assault squads I like as you already have the power weapon from the chaplain so they're a good balanced unit. you have enough anti tank fire to use the flamers effectively too :)

the Death Company I'm not too gone on though tbh. they'll hit like 2 tons of bricks but the problem would be getting there with enough numbers. a single vindicator shot or any major blast really cn destroy them, not to mind mass infantry fire. I think a good option instead of them would be a 3rd assault squad X10 men, thunder hammer and 2 meltaguns @240pts. with astorath attached they will rip through everything, even th/ss terminators with ease.

Overall a good list. with Astorath there's a good chance you'd be hitting furous charge with a good few units and the rerolls from the chaplains will make them fearsome. I can see this doing pretty well :)

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Astorath the Grim

Chaplain
-jump pack

Chaplain
-jump pack

RAS
x5 Marines
+razorback
-las plas
-search light

RAS
x5 Marines
+razorback
-las plas
-search light

RAS
x5 Marines
+razorback
-las plas
-search light

RAS
x10 Marines
-jump packs
-TH
-x2 flamers

RAS
x10 Marines
-jump packs
-TH
-x2 flamers

RAS
x10 Marines
-jump packs
-TH
-x2 meltas

Dreadnought
-TL AC
-TL AC
-seach light

Dreadnought
-TL AC
-TL AC
-seach light

Dreadnought
-TL AC
-TL AC

made the changes Lord Reevan suggested, and i was able to kit out all squads with THs. kept the Las/Plas set up on the Razorbacks for the sake of 'tactical flexibility'; IMO if i use only TL LC the tanks' roles will be relegated to fire support only. this way i can be aggressive depending on my opponent if i must.

and switched out the Dreads, but i'll probably be able to switch out arms if i need frag missiles or a higher strength shot.

and more advice or is it perfect? :eek:k:

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
It's as solid a list as I've seen without cutting into the theme of the army itself. Well done :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts