Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to take a different approach to the approaching update of my Beloved Dark Eldar. As some of you have probably seen, I'm not to keen on the idea of aload of wannabe's telling me how to play the game, especially with a race (new rules or not) that I've had for so long.

So, the new strategy is this. I'm going to dig out my Eldar army and thrash them all. One by one. Repeatedly. Bitter I know.

So here we go:

Asurman = 230
(leads DA squad 1)

Eldrad Ulthran = 210
(Joins DA squad 1)

Dire Avenger Squad 1
-10 Avengers
-Including Exarch with Shimmershield and power weapon
-Wave serpent w/Missile launcher
= 267

Dire Avenger Squad 2
-10 Avengers
-Exarch with Dual Catapults and Bladestorm
-Wave serpent w/Missile Launcher
= 272

Dire Avenger Squad 3
-10 Avengers
-Exarch with Dual Catapults and Bladestorm
-Wave serpent w/Missile Launcher
= 272

Dire Avenger Squad 4
-6 Avengers
-Wave serpent w/Brightlance
= 207

Vyper Squadron 1
-2 Vypers
-Both have Shuriken Cannon turret and Underslung
= 120

Vyper Squadron 2
-2 Vypers
-Both have Shuriken Cannon turret and Underslung
= 120

Fire Prism w/Holofields
= 150

Fire Prism w/Holofields
= 150

Total = 1998

Not designed to fight any particular army. Got quite a heavy theme going on, the only reason Eldrad is included as he really affects the damage output of DA squad 1. Led by Asurman, the squad becomes fearless. However, the real cunning beauty of the unit is when it uses all of Eldrads support powers and Asurmans Defend.

With the Shimmershield, the whole unit (bar those with saves that are better) gain 5++ in CC. Asurman forces all opponents in the combat to lose an attack (to a minimum of 1). Eldrad Fortunes and Guides (only useful for shooting) the DAs and Asurman (and himself as part of the unit) and Dooms the opponent. This basically means utter rape for Medium/light infantry. And hard hitting units with low attack numbers (aka, Loyalist Terminators) lose some serious hitting power. Followed by a re-rollable Inv save.

Rest of it is quite self explaining.

How do you think it looks, and what would you advise?

My only real concern is the Vypers. So....

C&C please?

·
Registered
86 Posts
i would definitely get some more brightlances on those serpents otherwise av 14/13 will give you aloooooot of trouble because you dont have enough to reliably take out heavy armor. I would also scrap the vypers and get some fire dragons in a serpent becuase that would really increase your ability to take out tanks and everyone loves fire dragons. I also would knock the 6 man da squad to 5 because there isnt much that a 6 man squad will do that much better than a 5 man squad (im assuming its main purpose would be to make the serpent scoring)

good luck with the list!

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For the price of the 4 Vypers, I can get a small squad of FDs in a Lance serpent and upgrade the Missile launchers to lances...

How does that sound?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I would keep the vypers.
I also think you have enough anti-tank some may disagree but you have a good few missles in there and if you really need it those fire prisms can kill a tank...hopefully ;p
Dont think there is anything really wrong with this list im a big fan of DA and eldrad.
Im not an expert on eldar but is there anything you can give your exarchs for anti tank?....anything close to a melta bomb.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Sadly only our Fire Dragons get Melta bombs, and the only non HQ with Haywire Grenades is Swooping Hawks.

I am still no fan of Vypers, but I'm trying to expand my choices a bit so I would like to see them stay in.

Vypers are notoriously fragile, even more so in a squad. Then again, any Wave Serpent with Fire Dragons will not last very long either. That squad will only get to take down one tank before their effectiveness is lost.

So, I propose dropping one Vyper and consolidating them into one squad of 3. This will net you plenty of S 6 shots for light Transport hunting, while leaving you some points to bump up some Serpent EML's to BL's which should help with the heavy AV hunting a bit.

Any left over points can be tossed into Spirit Stones, or where ever you feel necessary.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
good points so far. since you're planning to use Eldrad as a squad enhancer, why not take a cheaper Farseer? you'll save a few points by doing this to spread out over the list.

your ideas seem solid, but your one squad with Asurmen + Eldrad + DA + Serpent is flipping expensive.

i don't know, it may not be a bad thing, but i wouldn't put that many points into one tank. it begs to be heavily targeted.

good hunting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts